Say Somthing Positive about a Cartoon You Hate/Dislike

It's the Looney Bin! Display your classic cartoon artwork, play trivia, and more right here!

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartman

Say Somthing Positive about a Cartoon You Hate/Dislike

Postby Cartman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 pm

The title says it all. But, because it will be too easy if we include animation in general, let's limit it to the "classic" theatrical era from the 1910's through 60's.

I'll start

Tokio Jokio - It has a funny gag about the ancient Roman ruins, showing one of them to be Mussolini himself.

Skyscraper Caper - It was the last of the :daffy::speedy: series.

The later Oswald cartoons from 1936 onward had some good animation.
[font=Arial Black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=84][font=Arial Black][color=blue][font=Century Gothic][color=Black][size=134][size=100][font=Times New Roman][color=Blue]"I can act rough, but what's 'rough-fined'?" - Popeye in It's the Natural Thing to Do
[/SIZE][/color][/font] [/color][/font][/SIZE][/font] [/color][/SIZE][/font][/font]

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 am

Speedy Ghost to Town- It was better than "Skyscraper Caper"

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 am

Buckaroo Bugs: All the scenes animated by Robert McKimson look very nice, as his work for Clampett always did. And Robert C. Bruce's opening narration is pretty funny. (I always thought Bruce was the most underrated voice actor in the Looney Tunes cast; in cartoons like this one where he was allowed to just go over-the-top nuts, he was downright hilarious.)
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm

The Rudy Larriva's Road Runner Shorts: There's always a nostalgic throwback to me. Their music is catchy and pretty spot-on. :coyote::beepbeep:

Person to Bunny: For their animation itself and a brief good performance for Friz to have Bugs, Daffy and Elmer together.

In comics, i will say Lou because the characters grow up stories by stories. (In half +1 year in every two albums/stories.)

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Fresh Airedale-Like many Chuck Jones from this era, this cartoon has superb animation.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:17 pm

The Bird Came C.O.D--I like the extremely ticked off bird who keeps beating the crap out of Conrad before returning to his top hat.

Tokio Jokio--The Japanese fire alarm which consists of two guys pricking one another with pins.

Conrad the Sailor--Daffy is in fine character here. (It's Conrad I hate)
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Glowworm wrote:Conrad the Sailor--Daffy is in fine character here. (It's Conrad I hate)

I actually greatly enjoy Pinto Colvig's rendition "We're Shovin' Right Off For Home Again", and the running gag of Daffy and Conrad having to drop everything and salute the passing admiral.

Pretty much any 1939-1941 Merry Melody. They're slow, ponderous and lack major gags, but Carl Stalling's scores for them are some of my favorites of his and the designs and animation are top-notch.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 am

Cartman wrote: Skyscraper Caper - It was the last of the series.
Isn't that more of a backhanded compliment than a genuine positive remark about the cartoon? Anyway, I've got one true positive to say about it: It uses "When My Dreamboat Comes Home", which hadn't been heard in a WB cartoon for at least a decade. Oh, and it was refreshing that Daffy and Speedy weren't at odds.
Leviathan wrote:Pretty much any 1939-1941 Merry Melody. They're slow, ponderous and lack major gags, but Carl Stalling's scores for them are some of my favorites of his and the designs and animation are top-notch.
I would give the same praise to cartoons (both MM and LT) from mid 1933 to mid 1936. Their musical scores by Bernard Brown and Norman Spencer are usually catchy, and the animation, while nothing amazing, at least has that full feel common for the era.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 am

Sunday go to Meetin' Time - It teaches people a valuable lesson about sticking to the straight and narrow path.

Buddy's Lost World - There is a good perspective shot of Buddy on a brontosaurus.

Pluto's Playmate - It does have some excellent background art and animation.

Mickey and the Seal - Same as Pluto's Playmate.
[font=Arial Black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=84][font=Arial Black][color=blue][font=Century Gothic][color=Black][size=134][size=100][font=Times New Roman][color=Blue]"I can act rough, but what's 'rough-fined'?" - Popeye in It's the Natural Thing to Do
[/SIZE][/color][/font] [/color][/font][/SIZE][/font] [/color][/SIZE][/font][/font]

ferpme

Good Night Elmer

Postby ferpme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Makes me realize that there are other things in life.

Naw...that's cheating.....
Ok...some extremely nice animation on the fire/flames/shadows....

Not my fault I keep wishing that Elmer would go up in flames and end the cartoon.....

Return to “The Looney Bin”