Annoying or Not: Hanna and Barbera

It's the Looney Bin! Display your classic cartoon artwork, play trivia, and more right here!

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

H-B

Poll ended at Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 am

Annoying
33%
Not Annoying
67%

Total votes: 27

Brandon Panther

Annoying or Not: Hanna and Barbera

Postby Brandon Panther » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 am

Comments from AmIAnnoying.com
Comment in italics, by me.
Why they might be annoying
Their cartoons were sub par to the quality of Disney or Warner Bros.
Their style was rather cheap, flat and tended to be cheesy.
They would overdo it on the simplistic plots, dialogue and settings just to hold down costs.
Barbera had a gambling problem.
Barbera held a grudge against Friz Freleng for many years after Freleng's cartoon "Tweetie Pie" won the Oscar for Best Animated Short, even though H-B won at least 4 Oscars prior to that.
Bill Hanna thought The Jetsons Movie was a good movie.
Joe Barbera thought Tom & Jerry: The Movie was a good movie.

Why they might not be annoying
They created a number of modern successors to Mickey Mouse that can be enjoyed by a new generation of fans.
Scooby-Doo especially has become something of a cult character in recent years. (AmIAnnoying.com clearly doesn't know what the word "cult" means in this sense)
They basically kept animation viable before the movie 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' essentially renewed popular interest in animation.

Next: Bob Clampett
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

looneyboy

Postby looneyboy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm

MGM days = not annoying
Hanna Barbara days = annoying

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:37 pm

looneyboy wrote:MGM days = not annoying
Hanna Barbara days = annoying

Agreed.

looneyboy

Postby looneyboy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Hanna Barbara overused the infinite repeated background trick. Your watching the Flintstones and you start thinking "Fred and Barney have been walking in their house for 2 minutes and still didn't reach the door to the outside!"

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I enjoy Hanna and Barbera works. Some of their repetitive work, better than others (like how Ricochet Rabbit is better than Quick Draw) and I love their sense of timing (Tom and Jerry is a fine example with music and rythm). My favorites of H-B are their cat and mouse series (Tom and Jerry, Pixie, Dixie, & Mr. Jinks, and Motor Mouse and Auto Cat).

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:34 pm

there earlier cartoons may not be as good but you have to understand, HB were ground breakers and the most commercially successful when it came to TV Animation. they created the first Animated TV Sitcom and it's not there fault there early TV cartoons looked cheap, when they moved towards TV, budgets shrunk so there crew had to work under alot of restrictions which resulted in alot of Limited animation. Frankly, I think HB's decision to go for TV animation was the best decision they ever made, despite the Consequences they had to endure when they actually did it. I'm pretty sure if they stuck to making Theatrical cartoons, there careers would have fell through the toilet since the Theatrical cartoon business was starting to wine down by that time.

Zartok-35

Postby Zartok-35 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Me, I like early 1960s Hanna-Barbera cartoons, and a couple early-mid 1940s Tom and Jerrys, but nothing much else from Bill and Joe has impressed me a whole lot. I do not hate them, but yeah, they might be a little annoying.
You've gotta change with the changes.
http://blabbingonartsandculture.blogspot.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:51 pm

To me, calling the team annoying is like calling Chuck Jones annoying. They may had ups and downs, but they left a legacy with some impacts.

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:54 pm

MGM era (1940-1958): Not annoying
Early HB years (1958-1969): Not annoying
Later HB years (roughly 1970-1992): Annoying
Last HB years (1993-2001): Not annoying
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

Lemanic

Postby Lemanic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:28 am

I wouldn't say "annoying" as much as "in-your-face".
H-B is probably the closest to scandinavia when it comes to writing and scenography. It's very real and underground and usually it has reachable morals and not Disney morals.

Return to “The Looney Bin”