GAC Review - Tiny Toons, Volume 1

Find out what's new and updated on the websites hosted on GoldenAgeCartoons.com!
Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 pm

nickramer wrote:It's a good set. My favorite part is the different gag credit that had for each episode. For example, in "Buster and the Wolverine", one credit read, "Wolverine Trainer: Tazmanian Devil".

The one excuse to say over after the end of the show to catch those (being reminded of one episode where you had to use your VCR just to see they blatently did so to catch your attention).

In my opinion, the animation was at it's worse in "Rock and Roar". it look as if Jim Tyler's grandchildren drew it.

The memory of how bad some episodes can get animation-wise was what turned me off of the show the first time around, of course many would have their preferences with whom did what, I guess I favored the TMS episodes mostly (bought a cel of Buster from one of their episodes recently). Then you get the ones that just leave you in WTF mode like the "Kennedy Cartoons" crop (Glen knew how to make 'em move). I would say Akom did marginally OK in a few places, but they were far better than KC. I also didn't care for the ones done by Wang Film that featured a lot of ugly, thick-lined characters with exaggerated expressions as if the guys who worked on it though they were still doing "Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures". I couldn't stand thinking they could've redid them better without the need to press down on their pencils.
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"
(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:Yeah, those early Wang episodes were awful, all thick lined and swampy. "You Asked For It" (also on the set) was just as bad.

That's what I was talking about. Next to Kennedy Cartoons, they were also pretty bad early on with those episodes. It was around this time in 1990 when I started taking note of the quality of TV animation and realized how obvious it was the way stuff was being sent around the waters like it was nothing, but I bet it was murder to whomever had to edit that junk together in the end. Too bad they couldn't do DVD commentaries on this set or I'd love to hear of those 'glory days' for those guys on one oftheir first efforts for "Warner Bros. Television Animation" or whatever they wanted to call their group.

Speaking of missing extras, I'm being reminded more of a few edits that were made to "A Looney Beginning" that were only seen during it's prime-time airing on CBS a week or so before the show began airing in syndication. Having taped it, I could tell what was missing in subsequent airings that were only there in the CBS airing such as Buster asking for clothes from the animator and getting stuck in some Mexican get-up, and another quick shot of Gogo Dodo telling the guys "You got parsley and sage, but your running out of thyme!", right after they do their "Acme Looniversity" song. Here's a clip of Buster's creation showing what I mean, not sure if it's even on the DVD but in regular airings it gets cut out in a way that was noticable as the music dies out).

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:03 am

Studio Toledo wrote:Speaking of missing extras, I'm being reminded more of a few edits that were made to "A Looney Beginning" that were only seen during it's prime-time airing on CBS a week or so before the show began airing in syndication. Having taped it, I could tell what was missing in subsequent airings that were only there in the CBS airing such as Buster asking for clothes from the animator and getting stuck in some Mexican get-up, and another quick shot of Gogo Dodo telling the guys "You got parsley and sage, but your running out of thyme!", right after they do their "Acme Looniversity" song. Here's a clip of Buster's creation showing what I mean, not sure if it's even on the DVD but in regular airings it gets cut out in a way that was noticable as the music dies out).
All of that footage is restored on the DVD, thankfully.

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:06 am

David Gerstein wrote:I remember the day ROCK 'N' ROAR first aired. After lots of TMS episodes, teenage me was genuinely horrified at the comparatively amateur work.

I dont' blame you there Dave (I was starting out in junior high then).

Seemed like the first week of TTA was met with a lot of optimism and joy in my mind as they kinda had a good number of TMS/Akom episodes to burn off first, then it suddenly went downhill the following week, it felt like you had to suffer through them to get to the good episodes. Course having grown up watching 80's garbage, the show was a nice breathe of fresh air for what the 90's might have in store, though at times the writing got on my nerve as I wasn't sure how to react to it. It also didn't help that I was without cable TV for a period from spring 1991 to fall 1992, missing the premiere of Ren & Stimpy which got the ball rolling in my opinion, but there was still some interesting cartoons to see on UHF television during that time, it wasn't under attack just yet.

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:15 am

Speedy Boris wrote:All of that footage is restored on the DVD, thankfully.

Well that is good to hear. I thought it was lost forever personally. I guess the best some of us would've loved is if they had bothered going back over the negatives and re-transfer it again, but that would obviously take a much longer time and money to get digital quality anyway but at least they've finally got it out for us, don't have to put up with TV/VHS-rips off BitTorrent anymore..

Welcome to the P.B.S.

TServo2049

Postby TServo2049 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 pm

It wouldn't be lost. The 1990-vintage tape master obviously still existed.

The reason we didn't see the footage in reruns is because the episode had to be shortened for the syndication time slot (about 22-23 minutes) versus the network timeslot (24-25).

John Pannozzi

Postby John Pannozzi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:43 pm

In response to the review, I wouldn't say ALL the Disney Afternoon shows were sappy IMHO. Certainly not Darkwing Duck (which was just as good as Tiny Toons and Animaniacs during it's best episodes) and Gargoyles (which was just as good as Batman: TAS).

But I digress.

alcockell

Postby alcockell » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Does anyone know whether TTA is being released as Region 2 for us over in the UK?

Just that it had a massive following when it was aired on ITV...

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 am

I'm not sure. I searched Amazon UK, and all there is is US imports as Region 1 for volumes 1 and 2.

Return to “Site Updates”