GAC Review - Tiny Toons, Volume 1

Find out what's new and updated on the websites hosted on GoldenAgeCartoons.com!
Jon Cooke

GAC Review - Tiny Toons, Volume 1

Postby Jon Cooke » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Matthew Hunter revisits Tiny Toon Adventures on DVD: http://reviews.goldenagecartoons.com/2008/tta/

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:28 am

Even though I probably won't end up buying this, I thought Matthew's review was spot-on and more than fair.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:55 am

Funny, I liked "Europe in 30 Minutes".

Nice review, though I found it ironic that you said Akom was one of the good studios, when "Wacko World of Sports" was the one with the sloppy Sylvester announcer. ;)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:42 pm

It's a good set. My favorite part is the different gag credit that had for each episode. For example, in "Buster and the Wolverine", one credit read, "Wolverine Trainer: Tazmanian Devil".

In my opinion, the animation was at it's worse in "Rock and Roar". it look as if Jim Tyler's grandchildren drew it.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:53 pm

nickramer wrote: In my opinion, the animation was at it's worse in "Rock and Roar". it look as if Jim Tyler's grandchildren drew it.
Yeah, those early Wang episodes were awful, all thick lined and swampy. "You Asked For It" (also on the set) was just as bad.

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:23 pm

nickramer wrote:In my opinion, the animation was at it's worst in "Rock and Roar".
I remember the day ROCK 'N' ROAR first aired. After lots of TMS episodes, teenage me was genuinely horrified at the comparatively amateur work.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:23 am

David Gerstein wrote:I remember the day ROCK 'N' ROAR first aired. After lots of TMS episodes, teenage me was genuinely horrified at the comparatively amateur work.

I didn't care for that episode either. Though I liked the idea of Foghorn as a dog trainer, and whoever voiced him (Burson?) did a decent job.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:31 am

Matthew Hunter wrote:I didn't care for that episode either. Though I liked the idea of Foghorn as a dog trainer, and whoever voiced him (Burson?) did a decent job.

I thought that was part was good and ironic, since Foggy wasn't know for his respect to dogs.

Another problem with that episode is that 1 out of 2 animated shows at the time had an episode with a similar plot. I think there was even a foreign animated film that aired on the Disney Channel in the early '90s that had this kind of plot. Anyone remember the name of this film?

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:02 pm

Matthew Hunter wrote:I didn't care for that episode either. Though I liked the idea of Foghorn as a dog trainer, and whoever voiced him (Burson?) did a decent job.

"Rock 'N' Roar", actually, is one episode I've been TRYING to seek out and watch again for months now (to each his own, I guess). The DVD hasn't arrived here in my home town of Truro, Nova Scotia at any of the video/DVD stores so I'm still out of luck (I'm not enough of a fan of TTA to actually seek out and buy the whole DVD set; I see it more of a rental right now mostly for nostalgia reasons and to see the episodes you can't get as part of the download torrent, "Rock 'N' Roar" being one of them). Maybe in the next few weeks.....

I was able to pick up the Freakazoid! DVD set which came out this week so I'm very lucky in that regard as that was one of my favorite cartoons of the 1990's. I can't wait to watch it!

mikematei

Postby mikematei » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 pm

I can't wait for Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries to come out on DVD. Except no.

Return to “Site Updates”