SUPER Lantz-O-Pedia Updates (08/06/10)

Find out what's new and updated on the websites hosted on GoldenAgeCartoons.com!
Pietro

SUPER Lantz-O-Pedia Updates (08/06/10)

Postby Pietro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 pm

A big update featuring Woody, Andy, Oswald, and... Reddy Kilowatt! :woody:

Note that all the images now open in windows that roughly correspond to their proper size.

Main Page
--- No more Cartune Clips (Sorry, folks! Check YouTube and Dailymotion for full-length Lantz cartoons.)

--- Notes added for Race Riot and Hurdy Gurdy

--- Notes added for Chilly Con Carmen, Kisses and Kurses, My Pal Paul, The Navy, and Mars

--- Notes added for The Bandmaster, Kentucky Belles, The Hare Mail, and The Fisherman

--- Better images added for Making Good
--- Note added for Wild and Woolly

--- Note added for Nature's Workshop

--- Better images added for Jolly Little Elves
--- Notes added for Chicken Reel, Goldielocks and the Three Bears, and Wax Works

--- Expanded introduction
--- Better images added for Candyland
--- Notes added for Robinson Crusoe Isle, Springtime Serenade, and Doctor Oswald

--- Notes added for Soft Ball Game and Music Hath Charms

--- Better images added for House of Magic
--- Note added for The Golfers

--- Better images added for Hollywood Bowl
--- Notes added for Man Hunt and Nellie the Sewing Machine Girl (or Honest Hearts & Willing Hands)

--- Better images added for A Haunting We Will Go, Life Begins for Andy Panda, and Scrambled Eggs
--- Notes added for The Magic Beans, Crackpot Cruise, Nellie of the Circus, and Snuffy's Party

--- Better images added for 100 Pygmies and Andy Panda
--- Notes added for Andy Panda Goes Fishing and Crazy House

--- Better images added for Fair Today and Pantry Panic
--- Notes added for Scrub Me Mama with a Boogie Beat, The Screwdriver, and Pantry Panic

--- Better images added for The Hollywood Matador, The Hams That Couldn't Be Cured, Ace in the Hole, Juke Box Jamboree, and The Loan Stranger
--- Notes added for The Hollywood Matador, Ace in the Hole, Pigeon Patrol, Yankee Doodle Swing Shift, and Air Raid Warden

--- Better images added for The Screwball, The Dizzy Acrobat, Ration Bored, and Boogie Woogie Man (Will Get You If You Don't Watch Out)

--- Better images added for Fish Fry, The Beach Nut, Ski for Two, and The Painter and the Pointer
--- Notes added for The Greatest Man in Siam, Abou Ben Boogie, The Beach Nut, Ski for Two, and The Painter and the Pointer

--- Better images added for Chew-Chew Baby, Woody Dines Out, The Dippy Diplomat, and The Loose Nut
--- Notes added for The Pied Piper of Basin Street, Sliphorn King of Polaroo, Woody Dines Out, Crow Crazy, The Dippy Diplomat, and The Loose Nut
--- Better images added for The Poet and Peasant, Mousie Come Home, Apple Andy, Who's Cookin Who?, Bathing Buddies, The Reckless Driver, and Fair Weather Fiends
--- Notes added for The Poet and Peasant, Mousie Come Home, Who's Cookin Who?, Bathing Buddies, The Reckless Driver, Fair Weather Fiends, and The Wacky Weed
--- Better images added for Musical Moments from Chopin, Smoked Hams, The Coo-Coo Bird, The Overture To William Tell, Well Oiled, Solid Ivory, Woody the Giant Killer, and The Bandmaster
--- Notes added for Musical Moments from Chopin and The Coo-Coo Bird,

--- Better images added for The Mad Hatter, Banquet Busters, Wacky-Bye Baby, Pixie Picnic, Playful Pelican, Dog Tax Dodgers, and Wild and Woody
--- Note added for Wild and Woody

--- Better images added for Scrappy Birthday and Drooler's Delight

Miscellaneous Cartunes
--- New image of a 1925 comic-strip promotion for the "Film Daily" newspaper with Dinky Doodle added to the section on Lantz's Bray years (courtesy of Cole Johnson)
--- New entries added for The Amazing Recovery of Inbad the Ailer, Reddy Made Magic, and The Story of Human Energy
--- Better images added for The Enemy Bacteria

Coca-Cola Advertisements
--- Expanded to include Dick Lundy's 1948-49 Coke spots

List of Shorts in the Public Domain
--- Expanded to include more miscellaneous titles

Cartune Profiles: Woody Woodpecker
--- Rewritten and expanded with new images and information

Cartune Profiles: Andy Panda
--- Rewritten and expanded with new images and information

Cartune Profiles: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
--- Revised to include mentions of the early 1950s Auto-Lite spots, Epic Mickey, and Oswald's cameos in Fireman's Picnic (1937) and Snuffy's Party (1939)
--- New image of animator Ray Abrams' business card from the Lantz studio c. 1931 added (courtesy of Bill Abrams)

Cartune Profiles: Chilly Willy

--- New image of a Chilly Willy model sheet from 1954's I'm Cold added

Cartune Profiles: Wally Walrus

--- New image of a Wally Walrus model sheet c. 1945 added (thanks to Kevin Langley)

Cartune Profiles: The Beary Family
--- New image of a Beary Family publicity drawing c. 1962 added

New sections
--- List of Shorts in Chronological Order
--- TV Guide Censorship Article

Cheers,
Pietro:cool:

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 am

I can't be the only guy who noticed this—nice job, man. :rabbit:
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:51 am

Wasn't there a plan a long time ago to do a character page for Buzz Buzzard? I find it odd that Wally has a page, but not Buzz.

Pietro

Postby Pietro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:06 am

nickramer wrote:Wasn't there a plan a long time ago to do a character page for Buzz Buzzard? I find it odd that Wally has a page, but not Buzz.
Ironic you should mention that, because we're actually working on such a profile.

BTW, the Frequently Asked Questions page has also now been updated.

The merchandise question has been revised to include mentions of the Electric Tiki maquettes and the new Disney-produced Oswald merchandise. The line about Applause has also been removed as that company no longer has a Lantz/Chilly Willy license.

The Andy Panda question has likewise been removed as that character has since emerged from his "retirement."

In addition, now accompanying the Oswald rights question is an image of the rabbit on the cover of the Feb. 3, 1934 edition of the 'Universal Weekly" (courtesy of Del Walker).

Cheers,

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Request. The FAQ section regarding the actors who voiced Woody Woodpecker should be updated to include Danny Webb, who voiced him in Pantry Panic, and Kent Rogers who voiced him in The Dizzy Acrobat.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Pietro

Postby Pietro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Request. The FAQ section regarding the actors who voiced Woody Woodpecker should be updated to include Danny Webb, who voiced him in Pantry Panic, and Kent Rogers who voiced him in The Dizzy Acrobat.
Fixed! Thanks for spotting that!:D

Also, another important update -- I double-checked Hearst's "Film Superlist" and discovered that "Reddy Made Magic" is actually still under copyright! [Thanks to Lantz-O-Pedia reader Steve Stanchfield for encouraging me to run a double-check on this title!]

Cheers,

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm

I can only prise Pietro for those updates but it is shame that Universal home video is not following with Woody vol 3. Keep in mind every thing could be out in 8 volumes (75 cartoons per set we have 150 already as 75*8=600 ) as Lantz made only 588 shorts if my calculation are correct (not including the coca-cola spots, and other commercial titles, those 22 empty spots on the last set could be filled with those shorts)) but there might be problem with the Oswald shorts as trademark right might hold surviving shorts up if the some of the later possible sets would be centered around Oswald. Im not sure but I have heard that some of the Oswald shorts and maybe Pooch the Pup cartoons too are lost but im not rely sure. I wonder if image like this is means that following cartoon is lost but im not realy sure Image
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Pietro

Postby Pietro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:07 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:Im not sure but I have heard that some of the Oswald shorts and maybe Pooch the Pup cartoons too are lost but im not rely sure.
All the Pooch the Pup cartoons exist (see the 1932-33 pages on the Lantz site for images from these shorts).

However, there are eight Oswald cartoons that (as of this writing) have yet to turn up. They are "Cold Turkey", "Pussy Willie", "Nutty Notes", and "Ozzie of the Circus" from 1929 and "Kisses and Kurses", "Broadway Folly", "Bowery Bimbos", and "Cold Feet" from 1930. Note that though they have yet to turn up, this does not mean that they are lost. A 1937 Oswald "The Playful Pup" has also eluded collectors for some time, but I'm 100% certain Universal owns a print of that. It's less certain with these 1929-30 entries.

In addition to these, the soundtracks of "Kounty Fair", "Hot for Hollywood", and "Country School" have yet to surface. UCLA owns a sound print of "Amature Nite" and supposedly a sound print of "Mexico" was recently found, but I have yet to see it.

On top of this, prints of the following shorts with their original theatrical titles have yet to be found: "The Fowl Ball", "The Fisherman", "The Butcher Boy", "Nature's Workshop", "William Tell", "Jolly Little Elves", "Toyland Premiere", "Candyland", "Three Lazy Mice", "Doctor Oswald", "Football Fever", "Feed the Kitty", "Sailor Mouse", and "Arabs with Dirty Fezzes".

Also, as you probably have read on our Miscellaneous section, prints of "The Amazing Recovery of Inbad the Ailer", "Gremlin Mr. N'Tane", "Blood is Needed", 10 of the 12 1948-49 Dick Lundy Coca-Cola ads, Fred Brunish's 1943-44 stop-motion instructional films for the US Navy, and Lantz's promotional film for the 1947 Universal feature "The Egg and I" also have yet to turn up, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

J. A. Boschen

Postby J. A. Boschen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Awesome updates Pietro!
Not to get off topic, but "Ready Made Magic" is a Lantz Cartoon? According to a Box Office Magazine which was available on issuu.com and also Business Screen Magazine there was a Ted Eshbaugh cartoon under this title from 1945 or 1946. There aren't by chance two films under this name? Very mysterious... :confused:

(Business Screen Magazine archive.org Link :) )
http://www.archive.org/stream/business1944screen1946ma6and7rich#page/818/mode/2up/search/eshbaugh

Pietro

Postby Pietro » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 pm

J. A. Boschen wrote:Awesome updates Pietro!
Not to get off topic, but "Ready Made Magic" is a Lantz Cartoon? According to a Box Office Magazine which was available on issuu.com and also Business Screen Magazine there was a Ted Eshbaugh cartoon under this title from 1945 or 1946. There aren't by chance two films under this name? Very mysterious... :confused:

(Business Screen Magazine archive.org Link :) )
http://www.archive.org/stream/business1944screen1946ma6and7rich#page/818/mode/2up/search/eshbaugh
It looks as though, yes, there are indeed two films by this name, made during, ironically, the same period.

The description of the Eshbaugh film in the Business Screen Magazine is completely different from the Reddy Kilowatt film, which was definitely produced by the Lantz studio.

Cheers,

Return to “Site Updates”