The End Is (Probably) Near - PLEASE READ

Moderators: Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users, (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation

Jon Cooke

The End Is (Probably) Near - PLEASE READ

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry to be so vague, but in the coming weeks GAC's future will be very uncertain. If you have any files in your FTP directories, PLEASE back them up. I have no idea how much longer they will be available.

It looks like this could very well be the end of GAC in its current form. If it is, we've had a good run with some ups and downs. Thanks everyone for their support. I will give more details when I can.

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Yipes. This won't be good.

Can you at least give us an estimate deadline for backing up files? There's alot of stuff on that site that I have to sift through.
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm

:befuddled
First of all, hoping to know soon more and that nothing will happen, I guess it would be correct to write here our email addresses.
I don't want to lose you guys.
Mine:
[email="ippolitiandrea@tiscali.it"]ippolitiandrea@tiscali.it[/email]

Does GAC needs money? We have to ask members (and us) to send for once some funds to let the site kept alive? What else is happening?
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Believe me, this was a shocker for me, too.

The only date I have been given is "early November".

I am trying to figure out finding a new home for our research-related sites. I am also in the process of backing up the entire GAC FTP on my computer.

The Forums likely won't survive in whatever form GAC takes next.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

My e-mail is jcookehgi@yahoo.com if anyone needs to reach me. I think most of you are also friends with me on Facebook.

Like I said, I am unable to give more details at this time. But I wanted to let everyone know to back up your files sooner rather than later.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:
The Forums likely won't survive in whatever form GAC takes next.

I don't know how to do that but is there a way to save every contents of the forums and the sites on USB flash drives?
Jon, if you are able to do that you could upload the datas in winrar packages and let them available to us on megaupload.com.
It would be terrible to lose everyrthing here. Years of researches, datas, infos, fun......

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey Jon,
I would be more than happy to help the Lantz site survive elsewhere, so please let me know what I can do. What exactly happened? (You can email/message me if you don't want to say so publicly.)

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Well, that's pretty horrible. I hope we can community it up in some new form if worse comes to worst.

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:It would be terrible to lose everyrthing here. Years of researches, datas, infos, fun......
Agreed. In many ways, the TTTP forum in its current state is depressing to me, but we've also had a lot of valuable discussions there—and made some important finds. I'd be sorry to lose them.
I guess I'll move the Felix pages over to Cartoon Research, where my home pages now reside. The Felix site has been overdue for an overhaul for quite awhile, so maybe I'll update it when I move it.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:29 am

I'm on Facebook too, but I can be contacted on [email="leeglover3@aol.com"]leeglover3@aol.com[/email] .

I'm shocked to discover this news, especially the possibility that the forums might not survive. I still think we need the forums in order to keep our community together and to learn new things from other members. Perhaps we can resurrect it in some form using a free forum hosting site?
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

Return to “GAC Hosted Sites”