Overrated Movies

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
MarioSonic94

Overrated Movies

Postby MarioSonic94 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 am

This topic will be about the movies we find overrated. Here are my picks.

1. Chicken Little (Disney)

Man did this movie teach me the true power of advertising.

2. Slumdog Millionaire

Though the premise is good, it is also ridiculous. How could one person know all the answers to the questions he's given on Who Wants to Be a Milllionaire? I'll never understand what makes this movie so great. Give me one good reason that this is better than Milk, Wall E, and Dark Knight?

3. The Blair Witch Project

Just 90 minutes of some b*tch screaming at the top of her lungs

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:44 am

"Finding Nemo" is grossly overrated.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:55 am

Citizen Kane. That is all.

I mean, yeah it's clever in its storytelling, and was probably one of the first movies to have the sort of "twist ending" that it does, but.... I'm inclined to agree with Orson Welles himself that his later work is much better.

I also don't understand why "The Pink Panther" (1963) gets listed on all "Greatest Comedy Film" lists. The movie's not THAT funny. "A Shot in the Dark" and "The Return of the Pink Panther" are far superior to it.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:06 am

Up in the Air.

Anyone who thinks this movie is pure brillance deserves to be smashed in the head with Jason Reitman's unrecieved Oscar. I fail to see any Oscar-worthy material in this movie, it's just a predicable romantic comedy with a not-too-happy ending. There are a few chuckle-worthy moments that reflect typical life at an airport but those are all too brief in this uninvolving, borning snoozefest.

People sometimes ask me why I like so much stuff labeled "kids' stuff," now I can tell them "You can't tell me Up in the Air is more entertaining than a Bugs Bunny cartoon." Let's just say there was another movie with the word Up in the title that was more deserving of the praise it recieved.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

MarioSonic94

Postby MarioSonic94 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:52 am

Princess Mononoke

Good movie, but not as good as Spirited Away.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:29 pm

"Where the Wild Things Are- While being better and more faithful than most children's book adaptions films, it can get very dull.

Since when is "Chicken Little" been considered overrated? I haven't heard much possitive stuff about it.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Avatar, and all the Twilight movies.

*puts on flame-retardant suit*
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

BloodyChamp

Postby BloodyChamp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:53 pm

You had to see "Blair Witch" when it was at it's shortlived peak. It has 0 rewatchability but if you saw it then it was insane.

Every Brandon Frazier movie that's so "great."

Along Came Polly - yes thank you for sleeping with my wife on our honeymoon, thank you. Now I can be an idiot and just have unprotected sex all over the place. The 2 wrongs definitely make a right and America will buy it.

40 Year Old Virgin - couldn't finish this or that movie where the kid from Superbad knocks up the girl at the bar.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Memento
Blade Runner
No Country for Old Men
The Philadelphia Story
The Band Wagon
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Easy Rider
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Most of Sturges's output
Pretty much everything Pixar's done
Lord of the Rings trilogy

Roberto Severino

Postby Roberto Severino » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Thad wrote:Memento
Blade Runner
No Country for Old Men
The Philadelphia Story
The Band Wagon
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Easy Rider
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Most of Sturges's output
Pretty much everything Pixar's done
Lord of the Rings trilogy

Interesting list, Thad, but why is The Philadelphia Story overrated in your opinion? What particular flaws exist in that film? Poor pacing, crummy screenplay, etc.? I haven't seen it, but I've been yearning to watch it for a while now. After all, I'll watch almost anything with Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant in it, and Katherine Hepburn is almost a guarantee that this film might be a good one.

I think everyone said the movies that I was going to say, especially Twilight and Avatar, but we all forgot about (gasp!) Shrek and all of its subsequent sequels. That movie hardly deserves any of the praise it often gets. And oh yeah, Cloverfield too. One of the worst, if not most nauseating movies I've ever seen.
"Oh no! No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Not THAT place! No, no, no, no, no..." - The wolf in my all-time favorite cartoon, "Northwest Hounded Police"

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”