Overrated Movies

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Mr. Semaj wrote:You do understand that no one has the final word on what makes a "good" animated film, right?

You have right to don't agree with me, but think that the industry goes worser since CGI movies made the production more faster and by consequent, more cheaper financially. More than a hand-drawn animated feature in the 40's.

Tangled should be a great film for me, but the destiny decide me otherwise.

Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Sat May 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Regarding on the tangled discussion, what did John K basically say on Tangled? From what I've heard he had a post on his blog talking about it but he removed it.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Darkblader wrote:Regarding on the tangled discussion, what did John K basically say on Tangled? From what I've heard he had a post on his blog talking about it but he removed it.

If you click to the generic disney, bland, tude or stock expressions tags behind his blog, you will find a lot of those Tangled posts. The best and much informative post about this film was deleted sadly because of some rambling Disney fans who polluate the dicussion.

tristar

Postby tristar » Sat May 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Bugsy-Kun, instead of militantly complaining over anything mainstream, why not focus on things you like? I've never seen Tangled, nor do I ever want to, but I don't regularly spend my time whining about things I can't change; such as Disney's mass appeal.

The short form: voice your disapproval, and move on.

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Sat May 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Two widely acclaimed fantasy movies from 1982 that I just can't get into: The Secret of NIMH and The Dark Crystal.

NIMH features some beautiful animation, but suffers from serious story problems, most notably the lack of any decent villain. Yeah, Jenner has that plot to kill Nicodemus, but hell, we don't learn about it until the last half-hour of the movie (and we don't meet Jenner himself until about the 45-minute mark, and it's a 90-minute movie). And the necklace that Nicodemus gives Mrs. Brisby is purely a deus ex machina to save the day at the end and nothing else. Also, there's way too much Jeremy in this movie. Not a criticism against Dom DeLouise, who does the best he can with the material he's got, but the character is just so damn annoying. If this is Don Bluth's best movie, as so many of his fans claim, then that's not really saying much. Bluth is a truly great animator, but he couldn't tell a decent story even if you put a gun to his head.

As for Crystal, I only got about halfway through before I gave up on it. This has the potential to be a really good movie, but there's two huge strikes against it. First, the plot is endlessly restated to the point of frustration on the viewer's behalf. You could cut out all of Jen's internal monologues and I can guarantee you wouldn't lose anything. I have a hard time getting into a movie that thinks I can't retain information for longer than five minutes. And second, yeah, I know it was 1982 and nothing like this had ever been done before, but the puppets just look awful. I think even if I had seen this 30 years ago when it was considered innovative, it still would have been impossible for me to suspend my disbelief. Never do I think these are characters; they're just vibrating bundles of animatronics equipped with inarticulate mouths and creepy misshapen faces. I can't knock Jim Henson for trying, but the technology just wasn't there yet.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Sat May 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Bugsy-Kun wrote:You have right to don't agree with me, but think that the industry goes worser since CGI movies made the production more faster and by consequent, more cheaper financially. More than a hand-drawn animated feature in the 40's.

Tangled should be a great film for me, but the destiny decide me otherwise.

It's fine if you didn't like the film. My problem is how everyone is expected to agree with John K's rhetoric, each and every time he's quoted.

The actual Tangled film had nothing to do with "attitude". It was an advertising gimmick to shed whatever stigma might've accumulated from the Princess franchise, as was suspected of The Princess and the Frog.

John mentioned nothing about the increased flexibility in the software and the improved hair rendering that was crucial to making a CGI Rapunzel. Nor does he mention the color theories and layout compositions devised to give the CGI film an organic atmosphere. He never provided an honest analysis of the film.

What little he did say about Tangled is the same garbage rambling he says about anything relating to Disney/Pixar/Cal-Arts/CGI/whatever else he's at war with.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sat May 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Not that i agree with everything he said, (The Tangled discussion is a bit hard) but first i didn't at his blog years ago for his ramblings and opinions but find a way to improve my own drawings and find new influences. His blog was a good source for find new cartoonsists names and learn drawings principles and methods which i will never think otherwise since where i live, our animation culture is enough poor. (No one want to show those NFB shorts anymore!)

If it don't come to this blog and this drawings theories, i will probably waste my times by encouraging online fanbases or writing worthless fanfics instead to built my own characters and have a comic in my own. But it's true that this blog is taken with a grain of salt.

Back to Tangled; i agree that the Glen Keane painting style is obviously excellent. There's even one or two gags who really laugh me, but i wish to like more if i wasn't just a grumpy.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun May 22, 2011 8:25 am

Anyone else remember The Nightmare Before Christmas, right? Even as a kid, i was charming by the creepiness and for one time, the musical songs fit perfectly to the situation but the online large fanbase to the Skeleton main character is annoying and scary. I don't just understand the appeal of Jack's character when the others characters as the Mayor was much creative. Tim Burton did a fantastic film ahead of our time but now pushed by merchandising for attirate younger juvenile girls.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sun May 22, 2011 9:01 am

Saw Nightmare Before Christmas and really, really wanted to like it as I enjoy stop-motion animation. But, like many of Burton's films, this one was a good idea badly executed.

I thought the songs were just atrocious. Danny Elfman has written maybe three good movie/TV themes (Batman, Tales from the Crypt, & The Simpsons), but just wrote some wretched, unmemorable pop tunes for this film.

I would agree that it's overrated.

Tangled I actually enjoyed, but I do understand that it's fashionable now to dump on anything Disney produces away from the Pixar brand.

I don't think Tangled is up there with the best of the studio's efforts, but it certainly was an improvement from things like Princess & the Frog, Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and many, many more.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm

My brother happens to like some parts of Nightmare Before xmas, but he gets annoyed that Burton gets credit for the whole damn thing when Selick directed the picture. The song I liked was the oogie boogie man(they even had a nod to the Cab Calloway Betty boop short with "whatcya gonna do now?" "I'm gonna do the best I can". bit).

Tangled on the other hand, my brother and myself have enjoyed quite alot. I think that the marketing of the film is the reason why everyone bashes it. I remember laughing at 20 idiots who thought it was gonna be a Dreamwork's fairytale styled parody. I remember that Don Bluth didn't like how Disney's marketing(he mentioned Tangled in a podcast).

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”