Overrated Movies

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun May 22, 2011 12:47 pm

FleischerFan wrote:
Tangled I actually enjoyed, but I do understand that it's fashionable now to dump on anything Disney produces away from the Pixar brand.

I don't think Tangled is up there with the best of the studio's efforts, but it certainly was an improvement from things like Princess & the Frog, Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and many, many more.

Personally I have exact oppisite feelings of "Tangled" and "PRincess and the Frog". "Tangled" was okay. I thought the bar scene and the palace horse were very good.
However, I think "Princess and the Frog" was better partly because of the fresh return of traditional animation and partly the characters were a bit stronger. And I agree with Jerry that some of the songs were a bit more memorable than in "Tangled" (I did like "Mother Knows Best", though).

OriginalGagBonkers

Postby OriginalGagBonkers » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Twilight is the worst for me when it comes to overrated movies. Who gives a bloody dang about a vampire that is handsome and sparkles like glitter? The term 'vampire' is to describe a dark being from beyond, but now its being cited as a handsome and attractive nitwit who can't even suck blood due to being a complete coward over it. To this day, I hate the twilight series as well as the horrible movies. I know better vampire movies than this one, and yes they have actual vampires compared to these phonies.

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Pixar films (all but Wall-E, Up, and A Bug's Life)

"Disney Princess" films

Vampire movies (except the silent ones)

The "Scary Movie" franchise

Space Jam

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Pixar Movies: Okay, I like a lot of Pixar's movies, but I just don't get why people think they're the second coming of Walt Disney's films. A lot of the stories are cliched, they're predictable, and a lot of the movies seem similar. I'll admit, the CGI is good, but it's just stuff made by computers. Computers do things like that, it's nothing we haven't seen before.

Goodfellas: Again, I like this movie, but I don't see what was so fasinating about it. There was too much stuff going on, it was long, almost all the main characters are killed, and it just overall felt very underwelming.

MarioSonic94

Postby MarioSonic94 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm

bugsy-kun wrote:anyone else remember the nightmare before christmas, right? Even as a kid, i was charming by the creepiness and for one time, the musical songs fit perfectly to the situation but the online large fanbase to the skeleton main character is annoying and scary. I don't just understand the appeal of jack's character when the others characters as the mayor was much creative. Tim burton did a fantastic film ahead of our time but now pushed by merchandising for attirate younger juvenile girls.

QFT

Thank god the fanboys/girls don't know about Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Batman, and Ed Wood.

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:01 pm

MarioSonic94 wrote:QFT

Thank god the fanboys/girls don't know about Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Batman, and Ed Wood.

Tim Burton directed Pee Wee's Big Adventure?! Actually, that sorta makes somewhat of sense...
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 am

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:Pixar films (all but Wall-E, Up, and A Bug's Life)

Mostly anything CGI from Disney

"Disney Princess" films

Anything that won Best Picture Oscar

I can see we have radically different taste.

My least favorite Pixar films are WALL-E and A Bug's Life. I think the Toy Story trilogy, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo are all outstanding movies (not just animated movies).

Dismissing something because it's CGI seems as short-sighted to me as people who say they won't watch a film simply because it's animated. While Disney has yet to produce a truly outstanding CGI feature, I think both Balto and Tangled were watchable. And I don't know that I would consider either film "overrated" as neither really received much critical acclaim.

Some of my favorite Disney features are Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and the movie that created the entire market for animated features, Snow White.

Finally, I'd be the first person to point out that some people take the Oscars way too seriously. They are, after all, simply a publicity stunt designed to hype the movie business. And I can certainly create a list in any of the Oscar categories where more deserving films or performances or writing or direction or even songs were overlooked. But among the Oscar winners for best picture:

It Happened One Night
Casablanca
All About Eve
On the Waterfront
The Apartment
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
Midnight Cowboy
French Connection
The Godfather
The Sting
Godfather Part II
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Annie Hall
Rain Man
Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

...all outstanding motion pictures.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:33 am

FleischerFan wrote:My least favorite Pixar films are WALL-E and A Bug's Life. I think the Toy Story trilogy, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo are all outstanding movies (not just animated movies)

I know that, I wasn't insulting those particular films, I was just saying they seem over-merchandised. Like the other day I was at Target, and every end to the kid's section was Cars 2 toys.
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 am

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:I know that, I wasn't insulting those particular films, I was just saying they seem over-merchandised. Like the other day I was at Target, and every end to the kid's section was Cars 2 toys. I like the Cars films, it's just does a five-year-old really need to have every last thing with Mater's smirk on it?! Same with how the Princesses are over-marketed just to be made to look like idiots, when they are really the hero of the picture! Also, what I meant when I said the Best Picture thing it's just that people get into some scramble thinking a dumber-than-dirt film will win, and then the more "sophisticated" one wins instead, and it goes all over the Internet with the people that liked the dumb choice seemed to have immediately changed their ways as soon as they heard that! It's annoying!

Well that's marketing for you. Personally, I like to see more stuff with Unca Donald.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:11 am

Paulie:

No one forces anyone to buy merchandise.

I can tell you from having raised a daughter during the Little Mermaid to Lion King years, that her Christmas/Birthday wish list was always filled with tons of Disney merchandise.

As a parent, you want your kid happy - so for awhile, we were up to armpits in Little Mermaid dolls (because the really good outfits also came with a whole other Mermaid doll).

A small price to pay. Now that my daughter is grown (22 years old), we will still occasionally watch Little Mermaid as a daddy-daughter thing.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”