Underrated Movies

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
tristar

Underrated Movies

Postby tristar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:11 am

Like MarioSonic94's thread about overrated movies, now let's talk about underrated ones.

Million Dollar Legs (1932) - If you've never heard of this one, I wouldn't be surprised. Thad brought this one up in another thread awhile back, and I decided to check it out. This movie is hilariously INSANE, and is the same style of humour as the early Marx Bros movies. You can't get this on DVD in North America, but the whole thing is on youtube, and that's where I saw it.

Ace in the Hole (1951) - Only recently is this one gaining the respect it deserves. It did horribly at the box office when it came out, and played on TV every so often since then. But when Criterion put it out on DVD, the film got a new audience, and I was part of it. This movie hasn't aged a bit, and is arguably more relevant today then it was in 1951.

And you'se?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:21 pm

The. Rescuers. Down. Under.

Disney fans discuss The Black Cauldron more than they do Rescuers Down Under, despite the latter being possibly the best Disney sequel ever.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

jlppr

Postby jlppr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:The. Rescuers. Down. Under.

Disney fans discuss The Black Cauldron more than they do Rescuers Down Under, despite the latter being possibly the best Disney sequel ever.
\

i have to agree 100% on this, The Rescuers Down Under is the only Disney sequel (not including Pixar of course) that i actually like and own worthy to be put in the classics list. it is highly underrated.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:45 pm

I hope we're allowed to include movies that did well at the box office and got good initial reviews...:shame:

I agree strongly with Morty's two choices, and would add...

Monsieur Verdoux - This is my favorite Chaplin, even though I think it would be even better if he got away in the end. Thoroughly despised by many for its unsettling nature. Martha Raye gives Chaplin a run for his money.

Frank Tashlin's 1950s output. Unfortunately, his name is marred because of his association with Jerry Lewis, but once he dies, I'm sure both men's reputations will go up again.

Johnny Guitar - It's been recognized somewhat, thanks to Scorsese and his money, but Nicholas Ray's colorful and cynical masterpiece with Joan Crawford and Sterling Hayden should seriously be recognized. It's easily the greatest American western that wasn't directed by John Ford and doesn't star John Wayne.

Avanti! - Maybe about a half-hour too long, but a really sweet and funny gem of a movie. Wilder's last great film, certainly better than most of what he did in the 60s and after.

Der Captain

Postby Der Captain » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:24 pm

tristar wrote:Like MarioSonic94's thread about overrated movies, now let's talk about underrated ones.

Million Dollar Legs (1932) - If you've never heard of this one, I wouldn't be surprised. Thad brought this one up in another thread awhile back, and I decided to check it out. This movie is hilariously INSANE, and is the same style of humour as the early Marx Bros movies. You can't get this on DVD in North America, but the whole thing is on youtube, and that's where I saw it.

Ace in the Hole (1951) - Only recently is this one gaining the respect it deserves. It did horribly at the box office when it came out, and played on TV every so often since then. But when Criterion put it out on DVD, the film got a new audience, and I was part of it. This movie hasn't aged a bit, and is arguably more relevant today then it was in 1951.

Loved it. Kirk Douglas played a real acehole in that movie.

"Million Dollar Legs" is very good too. I actually came across a VHS copy of it at Cinevent a few years ago. So remember, folks, don't throw those VCRs out just yet.
"No buttons on der ding-busted pants!"

www.dangerousbird.com

BloodyChamp

Postby BloodyChamp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:19 pm

First Blood - it has maintained high marks only because Stallone is still a huge fan of it. I haven't seen First Blood IV but I hope we still get to see the First Blood movie that Stallone wrote the script for a long time ago, where the sheriff returns with his new militia to destroy Rambo.

Raggedy Anne and Andy - I posted about this recently among the hype of Toy Story 3. I'm not sure where this or the 2 main characters stand among cartoons dolts but I love this movie and never would have guessed it came from 1977.

Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2 - the world needed this, seriously.

Rocky 5 - people hate this because it didn't have the Hollywood ending but it was well done and real, maybe even to real, but that's life which is what the movie was meant to simulate.

Superbad - this *might* be as good as The Hangover. Like I said about my last pick, it wasn't always pleasant but it was a very real portrayal of what they were trying to simulate, and it was still funny. The only stretch was the 2 cops.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:27 pm

jlppr wrote:\

i have to agree 100% on this, The Rescuers Down Under is the only Disney sequel (not including Pixar of course) that i actually like and own worthy to be put in the classics list. it is highly underrated.

Tja it was also the only theaterical sequel of if we discount the ToonDisney theatrical sequels of Winnie the Pooh and the Stright to hometheater features (straight-to video/DVDs) a.k.a the cheapquels.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Gremlins 2: The New Batch, the rare Hollywood sequel that sweeps the floor with the movie that preceded it. I'd say it's Joe Dante's masterpiece and the plot is, in fact, very strong especially for such a Looney Tunes-inspired film.

UHF, one of the funniest movies of the 1980's hands down, made me a Weird Al fan. It's a bit dated but it's thankfully beginning to find an audience.

The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle. Say what you will, I don't think this movie deserved to be grilled as much as it is. My local FOX station aired it like a month ago and I was cracking up the whole time I was watching it. It's not a perfect movie but it's still a hell of a lot better than some live-action/animation films.

The Princess and the Frog, a film that was a complete victim of bad timing. It's really a shame because it's such a sweet movie. And much better music than I anticipated, I was still somewhat bitter about Lasseter getting rid of Alan Menken and getting Randy Newman to do the score but when I finally saw the movie, that all went away.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Philo & Gunge wrote:Gremlins 2: The New Batch, the rare Hollywood sequel that sweeps the floor with the movie that preceded it. I'd say it's Joe Dante's masterpiece and the plot is, in fact, very strong especially for such a Looney Tunes-inspired film.

The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle. Say what you will, I don't think this movie deserved to be grilled as much as it is. My local FOX station aired it like a month ago and I was cracking up the whole time I was watching it. It's not a perfect movie but it's still a hell of a lot better than some live-action/animation films.

Both of these films are very good and strong. The Rocky & Bullwinkle movie inspired me to watching and enjoying the original cartoons years ago. (I highly disliked it as a little kid because the cartoon show lookin ugly.)

Other film i find out underatted is the original Bright It On. I seen it one time at a high-school before i left it and for a girly teenager movie, it's a enjoyable one and the only one i could watching without troubles. Unfortunately, they made sequels who look primitive and more pre-teenish than the original picture was.

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Bugsy-Kun wrote:Both of these films are very good and strong. The Rocky & Bullwinkle movie inspired me to watching and enjoying the original cartoons years ago. (I highly disliked it as a little kid because the cartoon show lookin ugly.)

I was already a fan of the original cartoon before the movie came out. I didn't get to see too much of it but I did love the characters and the movie got me more interested in them. I remember my parents went on vacation the summer that movie came out and brought me home the five tape R&B set from GoodTimes Home Video and I watched the heck out of them.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”