Underrated Movies

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Mon May 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Here are mine.

Cool World- I KNOW that this movie gets a lot of hate, only because for its story being copied down to a Roger Rabbit wanna be film over what it was planned to be. But the animation in this movie is fantastic to look at. My brother particularly likes this movie for three reasons. Its score music, the dark colors for the animation and character designs, and the fact that Milton Knight(adventure of sonic the hedgehog and Twisted Tales of Felix) worked on this movie for character designs. And you can even see those character designs in the act! This even has Charles Adler voicing the spider character in it too(I've noticed that Adler is in a few works of Bakshi. Is he friends with him?)

Dick
Tracy- This one seems to be not mentioned a whole lot by a few people. This in my own view, is one of the few films to get a live-action film based on a comic book correctly. I even consider this to be the grandfather of Sin City.

Rescuers(and down under)- I agree what with the people who like these films say about it. I remember there was a rumor about a 3rd one being planned(probably for DTV) where it would have borrowed two plots from one of the original books. But Disney canceled it after the voice actress of Beunca died. I may have misspelled her name.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Tue May 24, 2011 8:37 am

Darkblader wrote:Dick Tracy- This one seems to be not mentioned a whole lot by a few people. This in my own view, is one of the few films to get a live-action film based on a comic book correctly. I even consider this to be the grandfather of Sin City.
How much of the original Chester Gould comic strip have you read?

I thought this film got certain visual elements correct, but really missed when it came to the story and some of the casting.

For example, Dick Tracy comes through gun battle after gun battle with nary a scratch on him (walking through tommy gun fire!). In Gould's strip, Tracy was frequently injured, sometimes quite seriously. The violence in the comic strip was much more realistic than the violence in the movie. I felt that Warren Beatty's stammering acting style didn't suit Tracy's personality and too much of the film was "guess-which-big-name-Hollywood-actor-is-buried-under-all-this-outrageous-make-up?"

The plot was just a mess. They should have stuck to one or two of Tracy's classic villains and had a much cleaner storyline.

I agree with you about The Rescuers. It's the one really decent Disney animated picture in the midst of alot of sub-par efforts that stretched from Aristocats through The Black Cauldron.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Tue May 24, 2011 9:21 am

I absolutely agree about Home Alone 2; I've always liked it better than the first one. As I've mentioned elsewhere, it seems to tap into an even greater childhood fantasy - sure, having the house to yourself is cool, but surely, having your own upscale hotel room in New York City with access to the world's greatest toy store would be even better. (And yes, the violence is way more over-the-top in this one, but it's still funny. I'll never not laugh at Daniel Stern taking three bricks to the head.)
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 am

With regards to "Dick Tracy", I agree with Fleischerfan on all counts; particularly the dubious miscasting of Madonna as "Breathless Mahoney".

I saw parts of "Cool World" and thought most of the incidental characters looked hideous.

One film in a similar-vein (in that it pays homage to animation and the cartoons of Tex Avery, in particular) that I think is underrated is "The Mask".
Personally I consider this, along with "The Truman Show", to be one of Jim Carry's best starring vehicles. The film was adapted from a graphic novel (I believe of the same name?) and the title-character is admirably suited to Carry's rubber-faced antics.

I have to say I didn't like "Home Alone II"... to me it lacked the heart of the original film.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Tue May 24, 2011 10:56 am

zavkram wrote:One film in a similar-vein (in that it pays homage to animation and the cartoons of Tex Avery, in particular) that I think is underrated is "The Mask".
Don't know that I would consider The Mask underrated.

It grossed huge money at the box office, spawned a sequel and an animated series, launched the career of Cameron Diaz, cemented Jim Carrey's superstar status, and was generally well-received by the critics.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Tue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

FleischerFan wrote:How much of the original Chester Gould comic strip have you read?
At the time(three years before the movie was out) I had a few strips from the original comic. Although, I dont remember if I liked the movie after I read the comic. I watched the movie without looking at the comics for so long though.

Bakshi is a fan of Tex Avery(all the animators that he was working with on Cool world are avery fans). Bakshi even met Avery once.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Tue May 24, 2011 4:16 pm

zavkram wrote:One film in a similar-vein (in that it pays homage to animation and the cartoons of Tex Avery, in particular) that I think is underrated is "The Mask".

The Mask is underatted? I think it's a film everyone have seen one time at their life. Yeah, it was a true hommage to the 40's zany animation, i like it myself but says it's underatted is a bit unrealistic.

FleischerFan said all of the reasons why this film title is not classified as underatted so much.

Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Sat May 28, 2011 8:58 am

I dont think the mask is underrated, I still find people who talk about it. And wish that Carrey would do something similar to it.

OriginalGagBonkers

Postby OriginalGagBonkers » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Cats Dont Dance deserves a mention. Not everyone is even aware on how good this film is. And the best part of it is, it does NOT follow the routes on the "Disney wannabe films" that animated features in the 90's were known for.

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Any of Disney's "package" films like The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, etc. Why censor them if no one's watching? :confused:
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”