Underrated Movies

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Most people didn't like Home Alone 2 because it borrowed too heavily from the first film. I don't mean the traps for the burglars, but things like the storyline between Kevin and the bird lady is near identical to the subplot in the first movie with Kevin and they old man shoveling snow.

Also, critics griped that the traps were too violent, and not as family-friendly as in the first film (I guess they forgot about Marv getting a nail shoved up his foot. THAT was pretty disturbing!).

Well, I do admit that the "judging the book by its cover" is used in all four movies. But I think HA2 perfected it with the two turtle doves. I like what the toy store owner says about them.

The violence is what I absolutely LOVE about this movie. My friend and I would safely renact the scene with the bricks. I don't know what object we used, but we hold the "brick" and pretend it hit us.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:40 pm

I saw Home Alone 2 at a very early age--I have no clue why. All I know is that my mom was taking my brother to see it--maybe I wanted to come along. I don't even know if we saw the first one back then. All I remember besides the pigeon lady and the infamous movie Kevin kept watching in the hotel was one of the burglars getting electricuted. That made me a tad uncomfortable. Truthfully I'd probably have to watch both Home Alone movies side by side one day.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:16 pm

The two firsts Home Alone are very great with slick violence i still enjoy. I seen the 3rd movie in theaters and hated it mostly because they change everything who was good at the original Hughes films.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:12 pm

The Princess and the Frog--although time itself will really tell for sure whether Tiana will be remembered as a "true" Disney princess. I myself was hoping for another "back to 2D" period for Disney because while this movie wasn't "Beauty and the Beast" or "The Lion King" it was very good and filled with all the right magic. I could be wrong but originally I heard rumors for a Disney version of "THe Snow Queen" for 2012 in 2D--but that it was supposedly scrapped when The Princess and the Frog didn't do as well as Disney had hoped. I still hope they return to 2D--I'm still uncertain about "Tangled"

Anyhow--the best part of the movie in my opinion--Dr. Facilier--awesome villain--with an awesome death. (That's right--this villain actually dies)
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm

oceansoul wrote:Wages of Fear

That is an excellent film! I saw it with on a double bill with Les Diaboliques, and I had no idea what it was about. The tension was so thick, I contemplated walking out, because I almost couldn't take it. I'm glad I decided to stick it out.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 am

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:That is an excellent film! I saw it with on a double bill with Les Diaboliques, and I had no idea what it was about. The tension was so thick, I contemplated walking out, because I almost couldn't take it. I'm glad I decided to stick it out.

Indeed, one of my favourites too.
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:50 am

Actually, it’s much easier to come up with films that are underrated than overrated:

The Body Snatcher – What J.J. said. This might be Karloff’s greatest performance. Plus, he is teamed with Bela Lugosi and the great Henry Daniell.

California Dreaming – What should be a cheap little drive-in flick delivers a lot more than this class of film usually does. Dennis Christopher is a Chicago transplant trying to fit in with a shallow crowd of surfers on the West Coast. Glynnis O’Connor is sexy and desirable. The film has some genuinely off-beat laughs and moments of real poignancy.

Count of Monte Cristo (2002) – A Walt Disney Production that is better than you might expect. Yes, they take liberties with the plot, but it’s hard not to when the original novel runs well past 1,000 pages. Well-acted with tremendous location shooting and exciting action scenes.

The Freshman – An uproarious movie that would be impossible to make had not Marlon Brando agreed to do it. The central joke (and it’s a great one) is that the movie’s central character (a powerful, potentially shady businessman) bears an uncanny resemblance to Don Corleone of The Godfather. Brando is adept at self-parody and has genuine chemistry with a young Matthew Broderick. The rest of the supporting cast (especially Bruno Kirby) is outstanding and the loopy plot will keep you guessing & laughing out loud all at the same time.

The Good Humor Man – A “must” for cartoon fans as the film was co-written by Frank Tashlin. Underrated comic actor Jack Carson is tangled up with spies. The comic book super-hero Captain Marvel also figures into the plot. Not great, per se – but a lot of fun and sadly almost unseen today.

Gun Crazy – What J.J. said. Bonnie and Clyde owes a huge debt to this film. Peggy Cummins (Woof!) should have been a much bigger star.

The Hot Spot – A really goofy modern noir that I liked a lot. Directed by Dennis Hopper (!), the film involves a shady car salesman (Don Johnson), a femme fatale (Virginia Madsen), and a “nice” girl with a dark secret (Jennifer Connelly). The sex scenes involving Connelly alone make it worth watching.

Housesitter – I may be all by myself on this, but I love this screwball comedy (it absolutely bombed when it was first released). Steve Martin & Goldie Hawn have great chemistry. The supporting cast is terrific (Dana Delany is luscious, Peter MacNicol is a scream).

The film’s central point - that we would all be happier if we just lied to each other and believed the lies - is wonderfully subversive.

I Walked with a Zombie – From the same man (Val Lewton) who gave us The Body Snatcher (and The Cat People for that matter), this is the best film with the worst title ever. A surprisingly haunting and moody film about marital infidelity, sibling rivalry, and voodoo with a plot cribbed from Jane Eyre!

Peter Pan (2003) – I have seen virtually every screen adaptation of this story (including the 1924 silent version) and this re-telling of James Barrie’s classic deserved a much better fate at the box office. Also features an absolutely tremendous score by James Newton Howard

The Rocketeer – One of the best comic book movies ever made. Tremendously faithful to its source material, but then the filmmakers actively involved Rocketeer creator Dave Stevens in all aspects of the production. Its only drawback is that leading man Bill Campbell lacks the necessary charisma.

Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow – I love this film for its vision. Combines a number of pop culture influences (most notably the Fleischers’ Superman cartoons) into a wonderfully idiosyncratic film. Giovanni Ribisi is a standout as Sky Cap’s techno-whiz.

Straw Dogs – Peckinpah is better remembered now for his Westerns (especially The Wild Bunch), but this meditation on the violence lurking in all our souls is still one of the most intense experiences I have ever had at the movies.

Those Lips, Those Eyes – A sweet, wistful, and now largely forgotten comedy about a summer theater in Ohio. Frank Langella is the resident leading man, Glynnis O’Connor the dish in the chorus line, Thomas Hulce a star-struck stagehand, and Jerry Stiller is Hulce’s father. This is a film about dreams & disillusionment that never loses its way or its heart.

Tune in Tomorrow – Peter Falk steals every scene that he’s in as an unorthodox writer during the waning days of radio drama who’s hired by a struggling Louisiana AM radio station to spice up their soap opera program “Kings of the Garden District.”

Wild Things – Like The Hot Spot, another goofy homage to film noir. This one actually has a plot with some genuinely surprising twists (right through the final credits), great sex scenes with Denise Richards and Neve Campbell, and a side-splittingly funny Bill Murray as a bottom-feeding lawyer.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

FishBulb

Postby FishBulb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:11 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Housesitter – I may be all by myself on this, but I love this screwball comedy (it absolutely bombed when it was first released). Steve Martin & Goldie Hawn have great chemistry. The supporting cast is terrific (Dana Delany is luscious, Peter MacNicol is a scream).

The film’s central point - that we would all be happier if we just lied to each other and believed the lies - is wonderfully subversive.

You're not alone; I watched this for the first time recently when I busted my foot up something awful and it cheered me right up. In comparison a more critically acclaimed effort from Steve Martin I watched after called Parenthood seemed just OK, basically a Family Circus comic stretched to two hours with the odd naughty joke and generic Randy Newman song.

But that's not in the spirit of this thread; Parenthood was from Ron Howard, who brought us the wonderful, greatly underrated Night Shift (his debut). Not only would I say that was his finest film, I'd also say it's one of the funniest movies of the last 30 years.

I like a heck of a lot of movie that weren't embraced by either critics or the public or both; it would be hard for me to narrow them down to a list. But the recent release of Inception reminded me of the underrated Thirteenth Floor, an intelligent sci-fi film which got overshadowed by the flash of The Matrix. Dark City suffered the same fate, although in fairness it was released about a year prior to The Matrix.

ferpme

Rocketeer and....

Postby ferpme » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Liked the Rocketeer....it's just too bad it wasn't a bit quicker paced....and that it wasn't successful enough to have a sequel. Biggest drawback was waiting for him to BECOME the Rocketeer....a problem which would not have been an issue with another movie (and yes....own/love the original comics....bought that in "real time"....and no any sequel would have probably have to be original material....but if they could have got Stevens involved....all you'd have to do is reprise the origin...and that move on....)
Underrated to me? BIG FISH....a Tim Burton film that is quirky enough to be a Burton film....but also be quite touching. Truth be told...I wasn't sure he had it in him. Albert Finney was robbed of the Oscar (Just like Robert Farnsworth was for THE STRAIGHT STORY....). BIG FISH was one of the few films to immediately crack my top 10 list....and I doubt anything will knock it out....SOME hate it....but not me....

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun May 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I liked watching Beavis and Butt-Head Do America. Tough the writing is a bit preidctable, they have their moments, mostly the Cornolio routine and the Las Vegas sequences.

2001: A Space Travesty is a DTV film which was severly bashed for their overused sexual and celebrities references, but like Leslie Nielsen play in that film, i find out funny and well acted, even if his gaff inspector role was a bit old. And the Paris' Opera scene simulation was actually filmed at my town.

Naked Gun 2: The Smell of Fear: Probably the most funniest of the Naked Gun movies serials which Nielsen give at my opinion one of his best performances.

The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie: Created more for follow the "That's Entertainment" trend, this Jones' picture follow Bugs Bunny at his best cartoons antics is a real anthology of Jones' best animated films. No cheesy themes, no recapitulations of cartoons stills. Just the cartoons like they should be made first. Unfortunately, it's the only Looney Tunes compilations movie with Quackbusters i will have pleasure to watch again. That's why i can't stand Freleng's Bugs Bunny Movie, the 1001 Rabbit Tales or the Fantastic Island animated film they made.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”