So where did Looney Tunes: Back in Action go so wrong?!

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
Prinzenick

So where did Looney Tunes: Back in Action go so wrong?!

Postby Prinzenick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 am

I mean, it's literally painful for me to watch it. I can't even sit through the opening, let alone the entire movie! It feels like some bad imitation of the old cartoons! But i can't even pin down why everything about it feels so wrong. It just feels like an embarrasing, misguided imitation of the old cartoons for some reason!

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 am

I don't really mind the movie, if only for Alaskey's voices and Eric Goldberg's animation.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:51 am

The only thing that really bothers me about this film is the film tends to focus more on the human characters, even though Bugs and Daffy really should be the main focus, but they come off looking more like comic relief characters half the time.

Other than that, the movie is okay. Could have been better in a few areas, but it's not completely unwatchable. I go with Joe Dante's assessment on the film: "The less said about it, the better, but at least it's better than Space Jam". Pretty much my feelings exactly.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

FishBulb

Postby FishBulb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 am

It has too many pop-culture jokes. I'm not one of those people who thinks pop-culture jokes are inherently bad, but this film has a lot of them, and most of them in well-tred territory (Psycho and Star Wars? Really?)

That said, while it palls with each viewing, I still like the film. I'm a Dante fan, and perhaps Space Jam set my bar pretty low

Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 am

My brother commented on this as worst than space jam, but I do agree with him that the animation in back in action is fantastic. If only the script was better.

Oh and Brandon, tv tropes has taken care of what your talking about right here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumanFocusedAdaptation

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:47 am

Darkblader wrote:My brother commented on this as worst than space jam, but I do agree with him that the animation in back in action is fantastic.

I really don't see how. The construction and timing dosen't feel right--it looks and feels mushy for some reason. It's only made worse by those ugly roger rabbit shadows.

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 am

One big BIG [SIZE="5"]BIG[/SIZE] thing that dragged the movie down was executive interference.

Initially, Larry Doyle constructed a silly nonsensical story just so that all the characters could make "breaking the fourth wall" types of jokes making fun of the movie's story. But, the WB executives felt that little kids wouldn't understand those so they ordered them to be taken out, leaving behind a silly nonsensical story. A few of those jokes managed to stay in, but not enough to really save it in any way.

So, basically, the problem with the film is the same as it has been with any WB animation project in the passed 20 years or so: all those brain-dead keystone cops currently in charge have got to go and then replaced with intelligent, competent people who actually give two figs. Once that happens, everything should go smoothly for the Looney Tunes. (Of course, while we're trying to make that happen, let's start a unicorn breeding farm too. ;) )
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm

I have no problems with the movie. I liked it so much I purchased the movie on video in its original picture format after watching it in cropped form on the ABC Family Channel.

Not everyone likes the idea of combining animated characters and people in real life in one movie because such movies tend to focus more on the people from real life. If you were to understand how the characters, settings, and stories in these movies are balanced, watching "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" would not feel like a painful experience unless you don't like movies with outrageous stories.

CueBallCat79 wrote:I don't really mind the movie, if only for Alaskey's voices and Eric Goldberg's animation.

He was referring to Joe Alaskey.

HassanChop!

Postby HassanChop! » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 pm

My thoughts that I posted from a year ago:

I'll be honest, i saw this when i was in intermediate school when it first came out and didnt like. The alien thing seemed unnecessary and the whole plot seemed stupid. But many years later, when i discovered animation was my calling and my passion, i saw this for $3 at Big Lots and decided to buy it. (i actually watch more LT and other cartoons now than i did as a kid.) I rewatched it and actually loved it. The alien stuff made sense now and was actually funny, because all those aliens were in other movies and i understood the references. Also, because of my many Looney Tunes viewings, the insane plot didnt seem as stupid, because its as zany as a classic Looney Tune. Eric Goldberg did a great job animated the Looney Tunes, and the combination of Live Action and Animation was almost as seemless as Roger Rabbit. And unlike Space Jam, the Looney Tunes themselves are as funny as they were in the good old days and actually in character the whole movie. Plus the live action actors are actually good (Brendan Fraiser has been forgiven for Monkeybone), unlike Michael Jordan's wooden acting in Space Jam. Also, some people seem to hate Steve Martins acting in this movie, but personally, i think its too over-the-top not to be funny. Joe Dante is a big LT fan and it shows in this movie. There are reference's to the golden age all over the place, and you need to watch the film a few times to catch all the cameos (from Owl Jolson to Michigan J. Frog, and even Proto-Bugs!) and references (Powerhouse is used, Marvin's spaceship is the Martian Maggot and Acme is the villian!). I also love how all over the place the movie is. Hollywood, Las Vegas, The Desert, Paris, The Jungle, Space; it goes everywhere! My only problem with this film is sometimes the CGI is way too noticable, and that can be a little distacting But other than that its a great film and the best treatment the Looney Tunes have had in the modern media, next to Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. People usually blame this films failure for taking the Looney Tunes off Television. But on the other hand, its promotion gave us the best DVD animation anthology series ever: The Golden Collections.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm

HassanChop! wrote:a few times to catch all the cameos (from Owl Jolson to Michigan J. Frog, and even Proto-Bugs!)

The cameo of the proto-Bugs only occurred in the alternate ending, not the actual film.

Among other stuff they cut out, there were moments where Bugs, Daffy, and DJ crack jokes at Kate's expense about being a humorless executive in charge of comedy movies. All these joke were cut out. I imagine some WB executives got offended by that. :rolleyes:

Scenes that were cut that I think should have remained:
-The alternate opening with Daffy's Batman spoof. I also like that it was never finished, and Daffy's pitch is mostly in storyboard format. It makes it feel like a real pitch.
There have been rumors as to why this opening got cut, but my personal theory, has to do with the thing above that the WB execs got offended with the way they're portrayed. In the unused opening, the WB execs shoot down Daffy's AWESOME idea. Why? Because Bugs doesn't like it, and he has more "clout" than Daffy. This sort of thing actually does happen in real life constantly, and I think the real WB execs caught that and asked it to be changed. In the opening from the ACTUAL film, it's Daffy being dismissive of the execs' ideas, not the other way around.

-The fight that Marvin Martian and Daffy Duck have in the Grand Canyon. Pure epicness and hilarity. And we lost all of it.

-The "Gauntlet of Death" scene. While granted it is pretty over-the-top violent, and is really nothing more than "a long walk to a bad joke" (Bugs' punchline, "Oh, look! A Daffydil!"), but it's still hilarious! And I love Bugs' comment to Kate, "You movie execs sure know how to hack things up!" (The line makes more sense in context, but even so, it's still a great stealth insult).

-In one of the screenplays, the ending gag originally had Daffy waving goodbye to Bugs as he's being driven off in a limo, and then something crashes on top of him. This remains in the finished film. But, instead of Porky popping up to try, and fail, to say "That's all, Folks!" the camera was to have panned over, and reveal THE REAL Daffy Duck, pointing out that it's a stunt duck, and THAT'S who's been in the movie the whole time, while the real Daffy was elsewhere on vacation. This would have been an awesome ending gag, and it would have meant that Daffy finally pulled one over on Bugs. Damn you, executives!

Still, for all the executives made them take out, there are still some jokes I'm surprised they left in.
-Porky and Speedy talking about political correctness. I mean, that right there was one huge middle finger to WB. Ouch!

-Daffy getting decapitated by the laser on DJ's cell phone.

-Dusty Tails... just, Dusty Tails.

Also, this is purely coincidental, but I find it funny that technically Joan Cusack and Peter Graves are in the same scenes, except Peter Graves is on a monitor. Same thing happens in The Adams Family Values. Yeah, that's pretty trivial, I just found it interesting.

And speaking of Joan Cusack, she was the only live actor I was happy to see in the film. She's so underrated, and funny, has a strange, but still nice-sounding voice, and is cute all around. Heck I'd say she's better looking than Jenna Elfman and Heather Locklear.

One joke that I love from the movie is the satellite monitor reading "ENGAGED" when it obtains the blue monkey diamond. Clever!
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”