What do you guys think about My Little Pony Friendship is magic?

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:25 pm

For what its worth I don't care for "Foster's Home" at all. And yes I'm aware that both shows has pretty much the same writers.

Anyway I have to say I didn't like the Star Wars ending in the new episode, but it was still alright. They should've made it three-parter just to make the pacing work.

Good bits:
Twilight getting more and more frustrated with her discorded friends.
Flutterjerk. Just...Flutterjerk.
"Necklace...necklace...necklace...necklace...big, crown thingy. Alright, let's defeat him."
"Congratulations, Spike! You're the new Rainbow Dash!"
The Apple farm in chaos, with Applejack reverse eating an apple, Granny Smith tap-dancing, and Big Macintosh as a dog.
Discord filling a glass with chocolate milk, drinking the glass and then throwing away the chocolate milk...which then explodes.
Pinkie Pie drinking chocolate milk once more before getting ready to defeat Discord.
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 am

The second part did feel a little quick paced, but overall, this was a great two-part season premiere! I feel that the second season is going to be 20% cooler then Season 1 was, making which means Season 2 will be 120% cool!

John Pannozzi

Postby John Pannozzi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:56 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:I don't care how good the show may or may not be.

It's still My Little Pony.

That's unbelievably hypocritical, considering you've said on other forums that you have a soft spot for the Care Bears.

And the old MLP show have been not so good, but it did have some pretty creepy bad guys at times, so it wasn't COMPLETE fluff, either.

kaseykockroach

Postby kaseykockroach » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:That's unbelievably hypocritical, considering you've said on other forums that you have a soft spot for the Care Bears.

Having a soft spot for it is different than hailing it as any good.

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:That's unbelievably hypocritical, considering you've said on other forums that you have a soft spot for the Care Bears.

Yeah. The old Care Bears. The crud I grew up with when I was a little brat in the 1980s. I haven't watched any of it in years though and I couldn't give two spits about anything recent they've done with the characters.

And despite how saccharine the Care Bears are, they're nowhere near as girl as My Little Pony. I didn't watch that stuff even when I was little. No way I'm bothering with it now.

John Pannozzi

Postby John Pannozzi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:28 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:Yeah. The old Care Bears. The crud I grew up with when I was a little brat in the 1980s. I haven't watched any of it in years though and I couldn't give two spits about anything recent they've done with the characters.

And despite how saccharine the Care Bears are, they're nowhere near as girl as My Little Pony. I didn't watch that stuff even when I was little. No way I'm bothering with it now.

That's fine, but I don't think it's fair to bash people for liking a show you haven't even seen.

Funny, considering that Lauren Fuast of PowerPuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends produced this show, I think you may have enjoyed it had it come out before you turned your back on TV animation (not that turning your back on TV animation is any way shape or form bad or illegal, but don't complain about shows no one's forcing you to watch).

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 pm

As far as Friendship is Magic is concerned, it's not really the show that bothers me. It's the obnoxious fanbase that has crept it's way into every facet of the internet, using memes, avatars and all sorts of other nonsense to beat this show over people's heads.

It's gotten really old.

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:As far as Friendship is Magic is concerned, it's not really the show that bothers me. It's the obnoxious fanbase that has crept it's way into every facet of the internet, using memes, avatars and all sorts of other nonsense to beat this show over people's heads.

It's gotten really old.

One has to wonder on what's going to happen to it once the show gets cancelled. Sudden reveal ala Family Guy?

John Pannozzi

Postby John Pannozzi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:As far as Friendship is Magic is concerned, it's not really the show that bothers me. It's the obnoxious fanbase that has crept it's way into every facet of the internet, using memes, avatars and all sorts of other nonsense to beat this show over people's heads.

It's gotten really old.

Well, to each their own, but I can't say I've ever felt really that way about any film or TV show, to be perfectly honest. I'm not even sure if I feel that about [insert politician whose name has been removed to protect the quasi-innocent].

But back, on topic, I actually do want to see the show given what I've heard about it (and I shan't harp about the Ponies. There are things far more worthy to preach to the masses about, like the very art-form of sequential art and all the great graphic novels and comic books that hardly any non-fan has heard, yet might really enjoy), and I've found a few funny and even informative videos about FiM, so if Mike R. here isn't cheesed off by them, here ya go:

Starscream (from Transformers) vs. Rainbow Dash

CR!'s retrospective on all the MLP shows, Parts 1 and 2. (Say what you will about CR!, and I'll admit he's not quite up there with the Nostalgia Critic or AVGN, but I do find his videos not only funny, but also informative and eloquent.)

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Oooohhhhkaay. So to the members who actually LIKE Ponies...

I think many animation artists can relate to this episode. This is "executive meddling ruining cartoons" storyline disguised as "unicorn making crappy dresses to ungrateful friends".

And yes, the parallel is intentional. The show's director confirmed that this episode was the staff's way of airing out their frustrations with the animation industry. While it's not my favorite episode persay (that honor goes to "Feeling Pinkie Keen" or "A Bird in the Hoof"), it's still pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVmtvNju0g

And we finally have the title and description for the 3rd episode of the season (airing Oct. 15):

Lesson Zero
Hyper-organized Twilight panics when she can’t find a lesson for her weekly letter to Princess Celestia.
This should be fun. Twilight is the funniest when she's stressed out.
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”