What do you guys think about My Little Pony Friendship is magic?

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:51 pm

This isn't a good time to mention I ship Pinkie Dash, is it? (innocent blink)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 pm

SNES Chalmers wrote:He, nor I, never said that all fans were jerks. Note he uses the word "obsessive". It's fine to like the show, but there are a lot of "obsessive" fans of it out there right now, and I agree, they are quite annoying.

But it's like that with many fandoms. Look no further than Sonic, for example.

Wouldn't the same even be said with Looney Tunes (Don't shoot!)?

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:35 pm

SNES Chalmers wrote:He, nor I, never said that all fans were jerks. Note he uses the word "obsessive". It's fine to like the show, but there are a lot of "obsessive" fans of it out there right now, and I agree, they are quite annoying.

Or Family Guy.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

beau99

Postby beau99 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:22 pm

That's completely true, and the reason why I quit going onto most of the MLP fansites.

But, as said, most fandoms have these people, but I'm not going to be so closed-minded and dismiss something because of over-obsessive people.

flyingfrog76

Postby flyingfrog76 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:59 am

On the issue of the fan base, speaking as a brony (An original one, mind you), some of this defensiveness is a bit appauling, since the method I personally use against trolls is love and tolerance (In other words, if they like it fine, if not, that's fine too), so I completely understand any outsiders getting freaked out by not only the fact we're teenagers/older guys watching MLP, but the fact some of the fans act the same way Twilight or Bieber fan girls act when people talk trash about those things. Like I said, if you're a fan, awesome, high five. If not, that's fine too, I don't plan on biting your head off, and if I meet any trolls, do what the smart netizen would do and ignore them and don't let them raise your ire.

But honestly, every fan base has their loonies. Look at the Sonic fan base, it's like a civil war in there. The aforementioned Twilight and Bieber fan bases, most anime fan bases filled primarily with girls (In my experience, do not talk ill about One Piece in front of one of these, they'll cut your head off).

In short, though the pony fan base may be full of some wackos, most of us bring plenty of awesomeness and creativity to the table. Look at all the song covers on YouTube, the staggering amount of fan art on Deviantart, the vertiable pantheon of fan fiction ranging from the squeaky clean to the down and dirty.

All of this said, I'm still a proud brony, as I've said, one of the originals, but it sickens me to see some of my own decide to enbarrass themselves and act as target practice for trolls.

-Rant over.
Watching classic animation since 1992.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07 pm

I did hear something about the creator of this show is going to some TV shorts for Warners featuring the DC girls (Supergirl, Batgirl, and surprisingly, Wondergirl). I'm alittle curious about that although, I still prefer Bruce Timm's DC work.

flyingfrog76

Postby flyingfrog76 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 pm

nickramer wrote:I did hear something about the creator of this show is going to some TV shorts for Warners featuring the DC girls (Supergirl, Batgirl, and surprisingly, Wondergirl). I'm alittle curious about that although, I still prefer Bruce Timm's DC work.

You mean Lauren Faust? It's said she did leave the position she had to consultant or something, and the only thing I really heard about other projects she's working on was the Galaxy Girls thing she has on her Deviantart.

Maybe I need to get out more.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:48 pm

flyingfrog76 wrote:You mean Lauren Faust? It's said she did leave the position she had to consultant or something, and the only thing I really heard about other projects she's working on was the Galaxy Girls thing she has on her Deviantart.

Maybe I need to get out more.

They mention that on the Warner Animation keynotes meeting.

flyingfrog76

Postby flyingfrog76 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Ah, my mistake. I don't really keep up with the superhero news. Not really my cup of tea, but if that's Faust's new project alongside Galaxy Girls, I'll give it a once over.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:56 pm

flyingfrog76 wrote:Ah, my mistake. I don't really keep up with the superhero news. Not really my cup of tea, but if that's Faust's new project alongside Galaxy Girls, I'll give it a once over.

Actually, they mention other stuff like "The Looney Tunes Show" and a new similar show for another classic cartoon franchize that I don't want to mention planned for 2013 although the designs are not really exaggerated (hint: the characters are having a restored set coming out and are the same age as Bugs). No news for Seth's "Flintstones" show, though.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”