What do you guys think about My Little Pony Friendship is magic?

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
beau99

Postby beau99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:As far as Friendship is Magic is concerned, it's not really the show that bothers me. It's the obnoxious fanbase that has crept it's way into every facet of the internet, using memes, avatars and all sorts of other nonsense to beat this show over people's heads.

It's gotten really old.

Most fans of the show agree with you.

Paulie J. Waddle

Not in the fandom, but...

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 pm

beau99 wrote:Most fans of the show agree with you.

Funny, that was just satirized in an episode of MAD...
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:45 pm

For a show that's clearly targeted at an exclusively female demographic, I thought this show must have some kind of extremely compelling element, be it great artwork or subversive writing, to allow anyone lacking a vagina to admit being a fan of this show. So I watched a few episodes.

It doesn't. It's just crap to babysit little girls. Removing the femininity aspect, it's not even well animated or designed crap. What the hell is wrong with you people? This show does not warrant the attention it's getting. Peace out.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:09 pm

It's just their opinoion,Thad. Sheesh.

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Ah well. *shrug*
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I was actually in the same boat as Thad and Mike R. when I first heard of this. But it grew on me, because it IS well-designed and it IS well-animated.

Adventure Time and its ilk leave me cold for their complete and utter lack of any sort of aesthetic appeal (I mean, most of the "creator-driven" shows that MLP is allegedly inferior to look like a left-handed chimpanzee's blind countour drawings), so maybe the show only seems better by comparison. Whatever.

I agree tt's not best show ever. But it's a damn good show, something I can't even say about The Simpsons or Spongebob anymore. That's got to count for something.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

SNES Chalmers

Postby SNES Chalmers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:23 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:That's fine, but I don't think it's fair to bash people for liking a show you haven't even seen.

Has he bashed anyone though? All I've seen from him is his refusal to watch the show because of his perception, which is fine, it's his opinion. But not once have I seen him go after any one specific person because they were a fan of the show, or they work on the show, or whatever.

I said it elsewhere, but I don't see why people are so defensive because someone doesn't want to follow the cult. This is why I'm against the show, I've seen it and it is somewhat entertaining, but I don't get why people are so vehemently behind the show. There's nothing wrong with being a fan of it, everything has it's fans, but it's all the crap that is spewed out, all the images and GIFs that are everywhere, all the terms and brony this and everypony that. It really is bewildering.

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 pm

SNES Chalmers wrote:
I said it elsewhere, but I don't see why people are so defensive because someone doesn't want to follow the cult. This is why I'm against the show, I've seen it and it is somewhat entertaining, but I don't get why people are so vehemently behind the show. There's nothing wrong with being a fan of it, everything has it's fans, but it's all the crap that is spewed out, all the images and GIFs that are everywhere, all the terms and brony this and everypony that. It really is bewildering.

Holy jeez, I agree with every sentence of this.

There's nothing wrong with the show. I have no issues with the show itself. I just have no interest in it because it's not my thing. What irritates the living crap out of me is how the obsessive fans are beating everyone else over the head with it. Yeah, yeah, we get it. You're an adult male who loves My Little Pony. Stop aggravating me with your avatars, your memes, your vehement defense of the show that's provoked by the slightest negative remark and - cripes - those annoying "Haters Gonna Hate" images. Just stop it. There's no wonder there's a whole segment of the internet that want nothing to do with the show. We're all just sick and tired of hearing about Fluttershy, or Derpy Hooves or whatever the hell else these ponies are called.

What this really boils down to are fans going, "Yeah, I like ponies! Now suck on it!"

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Not all fans of this show are jerks. Every fanbase has a certain number of people that can't accept other people's opinions, but I'm not one of them.

SNES Chalmers

Postby SNES Chalmers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:51 pm

He, nor I, never said that all fans were jerks. Note he uses the word "obsessive". It's fine to like the show, but there are a lot of "obsessive" fans of it out there right now, and I agree, they are quite annoying.

But it's like that with many fandoms. Look no further than Sonic, for example.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”