Fantagraphics / comic reprint news

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
tristar

Fantagraphics / comic reprint news

Postby tristar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Seeing as Fantagraphics is hands down the very best company to reprint comics, and how all publishers should follow their lead in producing books, I thought I would start a thread concerning any news about upcoming comic reprints from them, or any other companies.

So, to start off, here are two pieces of FANTASTIC news:

-Fanta will be reprinting all of the [non-MAD] New Trend EC comics, with each artist given their own collection! The contents from the first volume, Corpse on the Imjin and Other Stories by Harvey Kurtzman, have recently been outlined.

-Fanta will be reprinting the complete Zap Comix, all 16 issues, from 1968-2005. They will be presented in two hardcover books in a sturdy slipcase, and will be scanned from the original negs! For those who don't know, Zap Comix was started by Robert Crumb (and later joined by a host of other great cartoonists) in 1968, and it is arguably one of the most influential and controversial series of comics ever made.

I seriously can't wait for either of those two reprint series. If anyone else has any reprint news, feel free to share.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:53 pm

As nice as those compilations sound, I think it would be perverse if those made it to market before Pogo.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm

I wish they had stuck with the format used by Russ Cochran's EC Library and Gemstone's EC Archives instead of single artist collections. That way you got the text stories (which were usually left out of the Gladstone/Gemstone comic book reprints), house ads, fanmail, etc.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 am

I have the Cochran volumes as well as a good representation of the comic style "annuals" Cochran later published, so I will probably pass on these.

I do disagree with the artists format as I find it difficult to imagine volumes being prepared for the less popular artists (anybody for a Jack Kamen volume?) as well as the artists whose work appeared in only a handful of stories.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm

And what would they do with stories that more than one artist worked on? (Not counting Severin and Elder.) "This Trick'll Kill Ya!" was penciled by George Evans but inked by Jack Kamen, and "The Vamp!" was started by Johnny Craig but finished by Jack Davis. And the book-length "Illustrated, Factual Flying Saucer Report" in Weird Science Fantasy #26 was the work of at least 4 artists, 5 if you count Feldstein's cover.

And what about the issues of Panic that had a running gag running through all 4 stories, like #2 (Mogambo) and #3 (Walt Kelly's Pogo)? Or the issue of Tales from the Crypt that "Kamen's Kalamity" ran in? ("The stench you smell is NOT coming from my cauldron! It's from the preceding story!") Or any other horror stories that had the "host" making a snarky remark about one of the other stories in that issue? ("Grim fairy tales? What's next, funny animal horror stories?")

EDIT: I remembered another example of "connected" stories, "One for the Money!" and "Two for the Show!" in Crime SuspenStories #17.

captchucky

Postby captchucky » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 pm

FleischerFan wrote:I have the Cochran volumes as well as a good representation of the comic style "annuals" Cochran later published, so I will probably pass on these.

I do disagree with the artists format as I find it difficult to imagine volumes being prepared for the less popular artists (anybody for a Jack Kamen volume?) as well as the artists whose work appeared in only a handful of stories.

I don't seriously think a Kamen volume would ever be in the works. I don't think those of us who already own the Cochran hardcovers are the intended audience. I'm glad they are keeping this material in print. I

t is a shame about the Kamen material, though. I do enjoy his work, but probably not in large doses.

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Updated cover art for Carl Barks vol. 1:

Preview for this edition's colouring:

This recent colouring job appears to be much better than any reprint of these stories in history. Kudos to Fantagraphics, can't wait for this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tristar

Postby tristar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Amazon.ca is listing a third volume of The Mad Archives from DC, which should collect issues 13-18! This is set for April 2012.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 pm

The EC Archives live!

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Russ Cochran announcing the publication of the second volume of The Vault of Horror (with a foreword by John Landis) and the first volume of The Haunt of Fear (with a foreword by Robert Englund) in November. I'll be mailing checks for both volumes next week.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Mickey Mouse Vol. 2 is out. I'm planning on getting it tomorrow.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”