Hit or Miss: Adventure Time

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.

Hit or miss? Annoying or not?

Hit
39%
Miss
61%

Total votes: 31

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:47 pm

SNES Chalmers wrote:Not a fan. I've laughed at it a few times, but those character designs leave a lot to be desired.

Overall, Regular Show is much better.

That's pretty much my sentiment. I'm not sure why it's so darn popular.

Shame, too. Episodes of "Flapjack" that Pen Ward boarded are great, so he definitely has some talent.
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:38 pm

I actually really liked the pilot episode--the one shown on Nickelodeon. It just seemed like somebody was really high at the time when they created it--which was probably why I enjoyed it so much. I'm responsible for showing my boyfriend that pilot--he loved it. He really loves this show and tells me all about it. I have seen one or two episodes with him--it's not bad--at least it's imaginative with its plots. I'm not really sure what to think since I haven't really watched it all that much. What I do know, is that it's still rather bizarre, and I do like the character of Marceline the vampire queen.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

OriginalGagBonkers

Postby OriginalGagBonkers » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm

I do not understand why this is so popular. Although if people on here are fans, I'd respect on what you like. I'm just going to say that I don't like Adventure time. Its not my cup of tea. If I wanted some crazy stuff i'd be elsewhere. This show must be made with people on drugs Then again. You dont need drugs to think up the craziest things for reality's entertainment.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't just have times to watch a cartoon show who looks like your regular fan-artwork.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Bugsy-Kun wrote:I don't just have times to watch a cartoon show who looks like your regular fan-artwork.

How can it be considered fan artwork if no previous used media character is not in it? I haven't seen a faux Mickey.

Darkblader

Postby Darkblader » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Why do studios approve of shows that look like 2 year old drawings? Oh wait...they are cheap.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 pm

nickramer wrote:How can it be considered fan artwork if no previous used media character is not in it? I haven't seen a faux Mickey.

Sorry if i badly told, i mean by the way it's made and use. I don't blame the fan artists for the Adventure Time result. They knows better than the show's producers.

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Adventure Time uses its art more skillfully than most other minimally-designed shows.

A show like The Amazing World of Gumball is horrendous. I'm not against Flash if there's some thought put into it, but this show makes so little effort with its art that it uses live-action backgrounds instead of anything resembling a coherent style.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

Bill

Postby Bill » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Meh, it's just another recent CN show. Too much talking, lazy animation, bad character designs, unlikable characters, dollar store backgrounds, and too much talking.

The same can be said for The Regular Show, The Looney Tunes Show, and The Show Show.

kaseykockroach

Postby kaseykockroach » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 pm

[quote="Mr. Semaj"]Adventure Time uses its art more skillfully than most other minimally-designed shows.
QUOTE]
"Art" and "Adventure Time". An oxymoron if I ever saw one.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”