Favourite Monty Python Movie

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.

Favourite Monty Pyhton Movie?

....And Now for Something Completly Different
4%
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
54%
Life of Brian
23%
Meaning of Life
12%
Live at the Hollywood Bowl
No votes
Love them all!!!
8%
Screw Monty Python
No votes

Total votes: 26

thekingof8

Favourite Monty Python Movie

Postby thekingof8 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Mine is "Life of Brian." The stoning scene still makes me laugh out loud.

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:05 pm

"Holy Grail," for me.

No matter how hard I try, I can't stop quoting that movie, and every time I watch it, I laugh at it more then I did previously. So many great scenes that never get old.

I love all the other movies, too. I've only seen, "Life of Brian," and "Meaning of Life," but it's "Holy Grail" that makes me laugh more then any of the other movies.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

"holy Grail" as it's the only film I seen completely so far.

ferpme

vote

Postby ferpme » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Love them all....but gonna go with THE MEANING OF LIFE, mostly because it's the closet to a Python tv episode of them all.....
And..."The Third World" is maybe the best sketch they ever did....

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 pm

A very tight race between The Holy Grail and Life of Brian for me. I find The Holy Grail funnier, so I voted for that one.

I would categorize the rest like this:

And Now For Something Completely Different -- Simply a retrospective of the best sketches from the first two seasons of the TV show, re-filmed. It's interesting, but you might as well just watch the original Flying Circus episodes, and skip this one.

Live at the Hollywood Bowl -- Also a retrospective, but really fun nonetheless. Not much replay value, but it's worth seeing.

The Meaning of Life -- I've expressed my dislike for this one in the past, but having watched it again recently it does have its moments. My least favourite of anything the Pythons have done, but not bad by any means.

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Life of Brian is an Easter tradition in my family. Therefore, that one has a slight edge over the others for me. :D
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:59 pm

nickramer wrote:"holy Grail" as it's the only film I seen completely so far.

That's the only one I've seen in its entirety as well.--several times--and of course I've seen Spamalot.

Love that killer bunny and the "invincible" black knight.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

thekingof8

Postby thekingof8 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:48 am

tristar wrote:
I would categorize the rest like this:

And Now For Something Completely Different -- Simply a retrospective of the best sketches from the first two seasons of the TV show, re-filmed. It's interesting, but you might as well just watch the original Flying Circus episodes, and skip this one.

Live at the Hollywood Bowl -- Also a retrospective, but really fun nonetheless. Not much replay value, but it's worth seeing.

The Meaning of Life -- I've expressed my dislike for this one in the past, but having watched it again recently it does have its moments. My least favourite of anything the Pythons have done, but not bad by any means.

I included Live at the Hollywood Bowl and And Now For Something Completely Different so that all of the Python's are pretty much covered.

I agree with you on The Meaning of Life. It doesn't seem to hold together as well as the other films, mostly because everyone had other side projects going on, so it doesn't seem to have that chemistry that Holy Grail and Life of Brian had. John Cleese has always shown his disdain for this movie as he regards it as "A bit of a **ck up."

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:17 pm

I chose Monty Python and the Holy Grail which is also the only movie I saw in it's entirety. I really like the Trojan Rabbit scene.

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Holy Grail - Might just be one of the greatest comedies and one of the most quotable movies of all time. Every year after my theater group at high school finished a play, we'd watch it at a cast party.

Life of Brian - It's nice to see a structured story with the troupe. Some of the scenes were very funny like the Roman general correcting Brian's graffiti and the stoning scene to name a few.

Meaning of Life - A few sketches aside, this did not do it for me.

It's a toss-up between Holy Grail and Life of Brian for me. They're both equally hilarious films.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”