World War 2 Theatrical shorts: College Paper

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
DamianoD

World War 2 Theatrical shorts: College Paper

Postby DamianoD » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I am writing a college paper on propaganda films made during WW2 in one of my classes. Some of the films I will be looking at will be a Private SNAFU short, 'Der Fuehrer's Face'. I will possibly (if not likely) be looking at other Allied material. What I was hoping I could get from you guys is any ideas for animated propaganda shorts from the Axis side. Are there any other there at all? Thanks in advance.
Check out my animation blog: www.damianosketchblog.blogspot.com

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Nimbus Libere (1943) was made in Nazi Germany and it portrayed Americans as stupid.

There is also Der Schneeman (1943) which was also a Nazi cartoon, but it wasn't anything like the short above. It was supposed to show how superior the German made cartoons are.

Both cartoons are on the DVD, Cartoons for Victory by: Thunderbean.

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:34 pm

For the Axis side, there's also the Japanese cartoons Momotaro no Umiwashi (Momotaro's Sea Eagles), released in 1943, and its sequel Momotaro Umi no Shimpei (Momotaro's Gods-Blessed Sea Warriors), released in 1945.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue1.7/articles/patten1.7.html

In terms of Nazi propaganda, there was also an unreleased anti-semitic cartoon called Van den vos Reynaerde (About Reynard the Fox). The feature film was finished in 1943 by Nedeland Film studio in Holland.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue1.7/articles/barten1.7.html
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”