Great Mouse Detective VHS sound issues

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
looneyboy

Great Mouse Detective VHS sound issues

Postby looneyboy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:12 pm

I had this movie on VHS as a kid and it had warped sound. My friend had a copy and it ALSO had warped sound. The video store had a copy and guess what? IT HAD WARPED SOUND TOO!

I remember the second verse of the Rattigan song was one of the places my VHS tape messed up on. Guess what verse got cut out on the "Be Our Guest" Disney Sing-a-long? The second verse.

Was this a problem with Disney's master copy?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 pm

My VHS copy of Great Mouse Detective from 1992 has good sound, so I don't know what the deal is.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

looneyboy

Postby looneyboy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:My VHS copy of Great Mouse Detective from 1992 has good sound, so I don't know what the deal is.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, or maybe it was just the tapes that were printed in Chicago, or maybe the VHS tape you have was printed before the master copy got worn out.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Hmm, I own the 1992 Walt Disney Classics VHS, and the sound is pretty good.
But... the 2002 DVD release (a VHS version came out as well) had the audio sounding rather muffled/warped near the end, starting around after the Queen Moustoria robot breaks down. The music suddenly gets all muffled and barely audible, while the dialogue and sound effects (except for Fidget whistling for Ratigan at one part) are loud and clear. This problem was corrected for the new "Mystery in the Mist" DVD release last year.

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:32 am

wiley207 wrote:Hmm, I own the 1992 Walt Disney Classics VHS, and the sound is pretty good.
HOWEVER... the 2002 DVD release (a VHS version came out as well) had the audio sounding rather muffled/warped near the end, starting around after the Queen Moustoria robot breaks down. The music suddenly gets all muffled and barely audible, while the dialogue and sound effects (except for Fidget whistling for Ratigan at one part) are loud and clear. This problem was corrected for the new "Mystery in the Mist" DVD release last year.

Every time I see the word "however" (a word I never use to contrast sentences or parts of a sentence. "But" sounds more natural and quicker to me) with all of the letters capitalized in messages such as yours, I hesitate moving forward. It is more distracting than helpful.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 am

Mario500 wrote:Every time I see the word "however" (a word I never use to contrast sentences or parts of a sentence. "But" sounds more natural and quicker to me) with all of the letters capitalized in messages such as yours, I hesitate moving forward. It is more distracting than helpful.

OK, I fixed it. Anyways, if anyone has both the 2002 and the 2010 DVD release, I recommend doing a comparison; watch the "Big Ben Chase" sequence on the 2002 DVD first, then the 2010 DVD. You will notice the audio sounds much better on the 2010 DVD.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”