Hollywood Party (1934) Coming to DVD from Warner Archive

Off-topic discussion forum. Talk about movies, contemporary animation, and other non-classic cartoon topics with fellow GAC members here.
Snowpeck II

Hollywood Party (1934) Coming to DVD from Warner Archive

Postby Snowpeck II » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:39 am

http://www.wbshop.com/Hollywood-Party-1934/1000202893,default,pd.html?cgid=PRE

Comes out the day after Halloween... if I remember correctly, this is the film that includes a short piece of animation featuring Mickey Mouse, followed by a specially animated Silly Symphony?

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:43 am

And Warner Bros. owns it? Warner Archive is relesing it? I smell a law suit.:rolleyes::mickey:
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:08 am

King Delbert wrote:And Warner Bros. owns it? Warner Archive is relesing it? I smell a law suit.:rolleyes::mickey:

No lawsuit, believe the lawyer;)

Warner Archive is gonna release many DVDs of interest for me and classic comedy aficionados. Coming between 11/1 and 11/8 are "Hollywood Party", "The Lost Stooges" (a documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin about the Stooges' less-known earliest efforts), "Doughboys" (1930 sound feature with Keaton), "What No Beer?" (with that short lived team of Keaton and Jimmy Durante!), "Sidewalks of New York" (again, with Keaton", "Swing Parade of 1946".
Weeks ago I suggested the people behind the Warner Archive to release this stuff and they replied telling me that it was in their intention.
Soon we should also see Wheeler and Woolsey comedies as well as "Pick a Star". They could also release "Flying Deuces" with original RKO titles but there's a speculation because they never said anything about.
In Italy a little company released months ago a perfect copy of it so it's not big trouble for me if it'll not see the light of the day.
Now I hope they'll also make soon available "The Passionate Plumber" and "Speak Easily" (the other two movies pairing Keaton with Durante).
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 am

If Warner Bros is scared of lawsuit they can always remove the animated sequence. All though I do belive the lawyer too. :mickey:
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 am

Woody Woodpecker wrote:If Warner Bros is scared of lawsuit they can always remove the animated sequence. All though I do belive the lawyer too. :mickey:

As I've alreasy said, there's no fear of a lawsuit.
Disney made that animated sequence for that movie and it has no rights at all on it.
It's a bit of interaction between Mickey Mouse and Jimmy Durante during the movie(so, in b/W) followed by a short Technicolor Symphony, "Hot-Chocolate Soldiers".

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 am

Why was this moved to the watercooler? It involves golden age animation.

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 am

Well I'm just saying because you all know how the lawyers at Disney are a pain in the butt
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

DavidMcGowan

Postby DavidMcGowan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:40 pm

I ordered a retail version of this released by Warner Brothers in Germany a couple of years ago, and both the Mickey Mouse section and the Silly Symphony were included. I can't imagine there will be any problem with Warner doing the same in this US release.

Snowpeck II

Postby Snowpeck II » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Gasmask Ted wrote:Why was this moved to the watercooler? It involves golden age animation.

I was wondering the same thing. A substantial portion of this film is animated by Disney.

Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:10 pm

I also have the German release already, complete with animated sequences. Been out for several years.

Return to “The GAC Forums Water Cooler”