Welcome to The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown (Please Read Before Posting)

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Jon Cooke

Welcome to The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown (Please Read Before Posting)

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 am

Welcome to The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown, a new section of GAC Forums that is setting out to be the one-stop, on-going archive of all things relating to the classic Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography. Please read the following post before posting.

Each week a forum moderator will post a new open-ended thread (or threads) devoted to one WB short at a time. These posts will contain screen shots, the title card, on-screen credits, plot synopsis, and other information. Each thread will be a melting pot for everyone to contribute to. Users are urged to seek out a copy of the featured short and then we'll put it "under the microscope" as a group.

You can reply with anything you wish as long as it relates to that particular short:

* links to blog posts (either written by yourself or by others)
* links to older message board threads/posts that relate to the short being discussed
* explaining the references to popular culture, Hollywood caricatures, radio catch phrases, etc.
* screen shots
* animator breakdowns
* voice credits
* titles of music used
* newspaper articles from the day
* quotes
* production art
* lobby cards
* video/DVD availability
* trivia... or any other noteworthy information

These threads will be open-ended and new information can be added anytime.

Please keep these threads ON-TOPIC.

Only moderators, or other approved members, can start new threads. However, everyone is welcome to reply.

These are NOT "Hit or Miss" or "Good or Bad" opinion-based threads. While everyone is free to like or dislike the cartoons being discussed, we'll try to keep those threads on the original TTTP. Think of the threads on this board as more of a research archive. Research-oriented questions are welcome (ie: "What's the title of this song?", "Who animated this scene?").

Try to avoid posting video streaming site links to full-length cartoons on this board (YouTube, DailyMotion, etc). The reasons being a combination of the fact these links tend not to stay active for very long and the other is for legal reasons. We would prefer to point people in the direction of where to obtain copies of the cartoons legitimately (official video releases). Exceptions will be made for cartoons known to be public domain or cartoons posted on an official Warner Bros. operated website (such as Kids WB or LooneyTunes.com).

Please cite sources whenever possible. Try to avoid posting "I think I remember hearing..."-type 'facts'.

Eventually, once we get enough threads going, we plan to create a WB Filmography website that has each cartoon linked directly to its corresponding Merry-Go-Round Breakdown thread.

Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 am

This looks like a great idea. Do you plan to do every cartoon in chronological order? If so I was thinking that there would probably be lack of interest in the early '30s period, so it might take a while for there to be lots of information available.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am

Nick wrote:This looks like a great idea. Do you plan to do every cartoon in chronological order? If so I was thinking that there would probably be lack of interest in the early '30s period, so it might take a while for there to be lots of information available.

An idea we were thinking of was rotating, chronologically, through cartoons from each decade. So, the next thread would be the first cartoon from 1940, then the first from 1950, etc. We'd work our way through the filmography that way. This way we won't be stuck discussing Bosko for weeks and gives us a variety of eras, characters and directors to talk about.

This is a work-in-progress, while we figure out the best system.

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:36 pm

This is a great idea.

I suggest doing a cartoon from every year (so that the first would be "Sinkin' In The Bathtub", the second one "Big Man From The North", the third "Bosko At The Zoo" and so on) and when you finish the 1st 1969 cartoon, just go back to the beginning (by this way the last cartoon would have been "The Curious Puppy" (1939)). Also, I think we should add a category called "Miscellaneous, trivia" in which we would talk about something not so important (e.g. original titles and reissues, reused animation, censorship, characters designs and personalities, cast and crew, DVD releases (I'm talking about discussing those), changes in a unit, etc., etc.)
I think there is really really much to talk about.

BTW, when we finish this, will we do a filmography of another studio, something like an MGM filmography?

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Fantastic idea for a subforum, I'll be keeping an eye on this one regularly for updates. :daffy:

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:47 pm

The Crazy HR wrote:This is a great idea.

I suggest doing a cartoon from every year (so that the first would be "Sinkin' In The Bathtub", the second one "Big Man From The North", the third "Bosko At The Zoo" and so on) and when you finish the 1st 1969 cartoon, just go back to the beginning (by this way the last cartoon would have been "The Curious Puppy" (1939)). Also, I think we should add a category called "Miscellaneous, trivia" in which we would talk about something not so important (e.g. original titles and reissues, reused animation, censorship, characters designs and personalities, cast and crew, DVD releases (I'm talking about discussing those), changes in a unit, etc., etc.)
I think there is really really much to talk about.

The "Miscellaneous/Trivia" is more than welcome. As for posting the cartoons the way you suggest, I still think it would end up dwelling on the Early Years to the point where it may become too tiresome.

BTW, when we finish this, will we do a filmography of another studio, something like an MGM filmography?

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. That said, the thought has crossed my mind. ;)

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 pm

If we were to get a cartoon that had not been released on DVD yet, would the thread creator update the original thread-starter or can the thread be bumped back by another member to include that this is now on a DVD?

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 pm

quack-up wrote:If we were to get a cartoon that had not been released on DVD yet, would the thread creator update the original thread-starter or can the thread be bumped back by another member to include that this is now on a DVD?

Threads can be bumped at any time if new information surfaces.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Any plans of doing request? There's a certain classic Bugs and Daffy cartoon by Chuck Jones that has not been released on DVD that hasn't been talked about here. It's a personal favorite.

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:45 am

Nick: We're going to try to stick with the established format for now, just to keep everything organized. There are LOTS of cartoons to talk about, and we plan on discussing all of them. Sit tight, we'll get to your favorites soon enough!

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”