Welcome to The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown (Please Read Before Posting)

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:42 am

Jon Cooke wrote:Try to avoid posting YouTube or DailyMotion links to full-length cartoons on this board, since those links tend not to last very long.

Can we post links from other video sharing sites, like the Russian and Romanian sites? The contents from LTGCs were uploaded there in 2007, and every video is still there.
I think we should post PD cartoons from the toonheads.tv site.

BTW, I think that one cartoon per week is too little. There were 1000 LT/MM cartoons released theatrically. When do we plan to finish all these? In about 20 years?

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:54 am

The Crazy HR wrote:Can we post links from other video sharing sites, like the Russian and Romanian sites? The contents from LTGCs were uploaded there in 2007, and every video is still there.
I think we should post PD cartoons from the toonheads.tv site.

I would prefer not to have links to full-length cartoons in the threads at all for legal reasons. I'd rather point people in the direction of where to find the cartoons legitimately (official DVD and VHS releases). An exception I'd make is if the cartoons have been posted on an official Warner Brothers operated website (like the KidsWB site).

BTW, I think that one cartoon per week is too little. There were 1000 LT/MM cartoons released theatrically. When do we plan to finish all these? In about 20 years?

There are plans for multiple threads per week. We will figure out a routine as we go.

Beany Boy

The Complete Descriptive Filmography

Postby Beany Boy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Well, it is my hope that this project really takes off, with lots and lots of input from the usual suspects, the consultants and archivists, and even the fans. Even if working in a period that isn't appreciated fully by the general casual viewer, I think all the information and detail and enthusiasm might even create a more vast interest in the shorts and desire to see them released publicly in some form or other. It is highly important that much talk and constructive material be created here so that no one loses contact with these fabulous cartoons.
Nick wrote:This looks like a great idea. Do you plan to do every cartoon in chronological order? If so I was thinking that there would probably be lack of interest in the early '30s period, so it might take a while for there to be lots of information available.

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 pm

I did a bit of a write up about the Droopy cartoon Out Foxed on my blog almost 2 years ago. Would that fit in to this section?
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R.J. Smith

Postby R.J. Smith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Good job!
:mickey::donald::goof: [size=134][font=Comic Sans MS]We gotta' move![/SIZE][/font]
("[font=Comic Sans MS]Moving Day", 1936)[/font]

mickeyfender

Postby mickeyfender » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 pm

This probably doesn't fit in with your rotation, but it might not be a bad idea to do one about Don't Look Now (1936), it being Valentine's Day weekend and all.

The Silver Fox

Postby The Silver Fox » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

could we see a breakdown of the cartoon Buckaroo Bugs coming soon?

I love to see the background not told in the DVD GC set.

Espeically what gave the ideas for the gags in the cartoon.

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Wed May 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:

Welcome to The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown, a new section of GAC Forums that is setting out to be the one-stop, on-going archive of all things relating to the classic Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography. Please read the following post before posting.

Each week a forum moderator will post a new open-ended thread (or threads) devoted to one WB short at a time. These posts will contain screen shots, the title card, on-screen credits, plot synopsis, and other information. Each thread will be a melting pot for everyone to contribute to. Users are urged to seek out a copy of the featured short and then we'll put it "under the microscope" as a group.

You can reply with anything you wish as long as it relates to that particular short:

* links to blog posts (either written by yourself or by others)
* links to older message board threads/posts that relate to the short being discussed
* explaining the references to popular culture, Hollywood caricatures, radio catch phrases, etc.
* screen shots
* animator breakdowns
* voice credits
* titles of music used
* newspaper articles from the day
* quotes
* production art
* lobby cards
* video/DVD availability
* trivia... or any other noteworthy information

These threads will be open-ended and new information can be added anytime.

Please keep these threads ON-TOPIC.

Only moderators, or other approved members, can start new threads. However, everyone is welcome to reply.

These are NOT "Hit or Miss" or "Good or Bad" opinion-based threads. While everyone is free to like or dislike the cartoons being discussed, we'll try to keep those threads on the original TTTP. Think of the threads on this board as more of a research archive. Research-oriented questions are welcome (ie: "What's the title of this song?", "Who animated this scene?").

Try to avoid posting video streaming site links to full-length cartoons on this board (YouTube, DailyMotion, etc). The reasons being a combination of the fact these links tend not to stay active for very long and the other is for legal reasons. We would prefer to point people in the direction of where to obtain copies of the cartoons legitimately (official video releases). Exceptions will be made for cartoons known to be public domain or cartoons posted on an official Warner Bros. operated website (such as Kids WB or LooneyTunes.com).

Please cite sources whenever possible. Try to avoid posting "I think I remember hearing..."-type 'facts'.

Eventually, once we get enough threads going, we plan to create a WB Filmography website that has each cartoon linked directly to its corresponding Merry-Go-Round Breakdown thread.

How about a link to the cartoon that's on the internet? :)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Fri May 27, 2011 10:52 am

Didn't you read Jon's post near the top of this page?

What do you think this means?

Try to avoid posting video streaming site links to full-length cartoons on this board (YouTube, DailyMotion, etc). The reasons being a combination of the fact these links tend not to stay active for very long and the other is for legal reasons. We would prefer to point people in the direction of where to obtain copies of the cartoons legitimately (official video releases). Exceptions will be made for cartoons known to be public domain or cartoons posted on an official Warner Bros. operated website (such as Kids WB or LooneyTunes.com).
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Fri May 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Ooops... ^^; My mistake.

Didn't see that.

But how about these ideas:

Transcripts of LT&MM Cartoons
The Colors of LT&MM Rings and Iris Center used for the LT&MM cartoons
Theatrical posters
Background and BG Pans Art/Screencaps

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”