"Sinkin' in the Bathtub" (1930) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

No mention of Sinkin' in the Bathtub in this December 7th, 1930 article for the L.A. Times, but Joe Dante speculates that this was the very first article ever published about Looney Tunes:

This where I found it: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/looneytunesarticle.jpg

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:39 pm

AndrewGilmore wrote:There are clips of these songs on YouTube, including the original production number of "Singin' In the Bathtub" from "The Show of Shows" itself, but you said no YouTube links here, so....

I was referring more to links to full-length cartoons on YouTube, not so much to links such as the ones you were referring to, Andrew. I don't think there would be much of an issue with those. I revised the "sticky" post to clarify.

Brandon Panther wrote:It's also the 2nd and last time Max Maxwell voiced Bosko.

That's correct. Many sources credit Maxwell as being Bosko's voice for the character's entire screen career, including the later MGM shorts. The "Bosko the Talk-Ink Kid" 1929 pilot and this cartoon were the only two, before the role was taken over by Johnny Murray (who provided not only Bosko's voice, but some of the Mickey Mouse-esque voices in many of the Harman-Ising Merrie Melodies as well).

On a similar note, Rochelle Hudson is credited as Honey's voice for the series' entire run. Do any voice experts know if this is true or not?

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:27 pm

For how long did Freleng continue to be credited as Isadore on these early shorts (i.e. when was he first credited as I. Freleng, and then, finally, Friz Freleng)?

Greg Method

Postby Greg Method » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Dirty Skunk wrote:For how long did Freleng continue to be credited as Isadore on these early shorts (i.e. when was he first credited as I. Freleng, and then, finally, Friz Freleng)?

Friz's credits changed from "Isadore" to "I." sometime in 1935. Dave Mackey's site is saying "Little Dutch Plate" is the last time he was credited as "Isadore," but a non-Blue Ribbon title card has yet to turn up for that one. The final cartoon that Dave has photographic proof of crediting him as "Isadore" is "My Green Fedora."

Based on available title cards, "Billboard Frolics" is the first one to credit him as "I. Freleng."

He wouldn't be credited as "Friz Freleng" until 1956's "Roman Legion-Hare."
SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Greg Method wrote:The final cartoon that Dave has photographic proof of crediting him as "Isadore" is "My Green Fedora."

Freleng is credited as "Isadore Freleng" on 1940's "Porky's Baseball Broadcast".
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Nick wrote:Doesn't this short reuse a lot of gags from the Oswald cartoons that Harman and Ising worked on?
Yep—a whole bunch of SICK CYLINDERS (1929) gags reappear here.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

iwerks321

Postby iwerks321 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Friz Freleng animates the scenes where the goat eats Bosko's flowers and when the cow stops Bosko and Honey in the middle of the road.
''You can lead a horse to water,but a pencil must be lead.''

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:

That's correct. Many sources credit Maxwell as being Bosko's voice for the character's entire screen career, including the later MGM shorts. The "Bosko the Talk-Ink Kid" 1929 pilot and this cartoon were the only two, before the role was taken over by Johnny Murray (who provided not only Bosko's voice, but some of the Mickey Mouse-esque voices in many of the Harman-Ising Merrie Melodies as well).

On a similar note, Rochelle Hudson is credited as Honey's voice for the series' entire run. Do any voice experts know if this is true or not?

I see, I never knew who voiced Bosko before--of course when searching for Maxwell to find out more about him IMD claimed that he voiced Bosko for all the shorts--and we know how "good" IMD can be sometimes.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:I was referring more to links to full-length cartoons on YouTube, not so much to links such as the ones you were referring to, Andrew. I don't think there would be much of an issue with those. I revised the "sticky" post to clarify.

Ah, thank you for clarifying. In that case, here are some links relating to my earlier post:

Here's Winnie Lighter in "The Show of Shows" with the original version of the cartoon's title song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6MAnRy0w4
And here's one of many commercial recordings of the song from around the same time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVsX3BaVrk8

Of course, most of us probably know this one already, but here's the original Nick Lucas version of "Tip-Toe Thru the Tulips", one of the few surviving fragments of "Golddiggers of Broadway": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZMHJX4b9bU

And here's "Painting the Clouds With Sunshine": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHol6LjLCOw

And just in case any of you don't know it, here's "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr_DTozbH8E

And for good measure, here's "A Hot Time In the Old Town Tonight", which dates from the 1890s rather than this 1927 recording by the great Bessie Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfkV1E0sBZ0

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Also, Jon, I had no idea Carmen Maxwell was only the voice of Bosko for such a brief period. I don't think I'd ever heard of Johnny Murray before. See? This sub-forum is being useful already! :)

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”