"Sinkin' in the Bathtub" (1930) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
iwerks321

Postby iwerks321 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:45 pm

The Crazy HR wrote:Did Freleng also animate the opening sequence (with Bosko in the bathtub) and the closing titles?

The opening sequence is definitely his work but I'm not quite sure about the closing titles
''You can lead a horse to water,but a pencil must be lead.''

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 pm

And just a small note FTR: Bosko's "Maaaaaaaamy!" in this cartoon is the first WB cartoon reference to Al Jolson, one of many to come.

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:53 pm

David Gerstein wrote:I'm afraid you're mistaken—most of the LTMM at this time said "copyright" on the title cards, but weren't officially copyrighted at all. BATHTUB is an exception. (LTMM began being copyrighted on a regular basis in 1932.)

So that explains the lack thereof in the aforemented catalog.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 pm

I noticed in the Astor ad (on Page 1) that they got the title of the cartoon wrong, listing it as: "Sinkin' in a Bathtub"
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:14 am

AndrewGilmore wrote:And just a small note FTR: Bosko's "Maaaaaaaamy!" in this cartoon is the first WB cartoon reference to Al Jolson, one of many to come.

Assuming you aren't counting Bosko the Talk-Ink Kid, which also has a Jolson reference. :)

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:05 am

Does anyone know who were the other animators on this short? I'm guessing Rollin Hamilton, Max Maxwell and Paul J. Smith.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 pm

The Crazy HR wrote:Does anyone know who were the other animators on this short? I'm guessing Rollin Hamilton, Max Maxwell and Paul J. Smith.

Would they really need four animators for this?

You raise a question I wanted to ask. Who were the original animators at the studio? Norm Blackburn must have been one. What about Ben Clopton?

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

iwerks321

Postby iwerks321 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:Would they really need four animators for this?

You raise a question I wanted to ask. Who were the original animators at the studio? Norm Blackburn must have been one. What about Ben Clopton?

F. Fox
jttp://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

I believe the original animators were Friz Freleng,Ham Hamilton,Paul Smith,Max Maxwell,Norm Blackburn,and possibly others.I don't think Ben Clopton arrived at Warner Bros. until 1934,though I think he was at Iwerks' studio when this cartoon was made.
''You can lead a horse to water,but a pencil must be lead.''

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 pm

iwerks321 wrote:I don't think Ben Clopton arrived at Warner Bros. until 1934,though I think he was at Iwerks' studio when this cartoon was made.

Thanks i321. I suspect you're right. Btw, the Helena Independent newspaper of May 18, 1933 has this interesting credit:

Ben Clopton, Jr., is here from Hollywood visiting his parents. He is the originator of the "Flip the Frog" comic pictures.

Seems everyone took credit for everything back then. :)

It looks like Clopton was at Iwerks from the start until some time in 1933 when he arrived at Schlesinger's new studio (his first cartoon there would have been in production in 1933).

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

MadAboutMGM

Postby MadAboutMGM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:50 pm

tristar wrote:No mention of Sinkin' in the Bathtub in this December 7th, 1930 article for the L.A. Times, but Joe Dante speculates that this was the very first article ever published about Looney Tunes:

This where I found it: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/looneytunesarticle.jpg

I find it a little odd that Schlesinger would fancy himself as the creator of something that Harmon and Ising copyrighted in 1927. He seems to be doing it in the same vein as Disney was when he was getting mileage off of the Mickey craze during this period. He was their middleman that although was lenient to the artists experimentation he was rather a fiscal conservative and cared more about quantity than quality for the sake of profit. Chuck Jones said that he had to placate to the spectators to extend the duration of the shorts, which would rather have had at two minutes for once again budgetary reasons.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”