"Sinkin' in the Bathtub" (1930) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 am

Fibber Fox wrote:It looks like Clopton was at Iwerks from the start until some time in 1933 when he arrived at Schlesinger's new studio (his first cartoon there would have been in production in 1933).

Clopton's first credit was on "Buddy The Gob" (released January 13, 1934).

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am

Just to ID the music, in consistency with Brandon's request on the "Porky's Last Stand" thread, plus there are a number of music cues which I forgot to mention in my previous post. FTR:

0:00-16: "A Hot Time In the Old Town Tonight"
0:17-44: "Singin' In the Bathtub" (of course)
0:44-55: Mendelssohn's "Spring Song"
0:55-1:00: coda to "Singin' In the Bathtub"
1:11-16: possibly "Chicken Reel" from 1911, which of course would become a Stalling fixture many barnyards later.
1:16-19: "Shave and a Haircut" (everyone knows that, but as long as I'm being thorough about this, I threw it in)
1:34-2:05: "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" (just in case anyone didn't know)
2:06-18: reprise of "Singin' In the Bathtub"
3:01-11: "Hearts and Flowers"
3:11-21: "Painting the Clouds With Sunshine"
3:32-57: reprise of "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips"
3:57-4:33: "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
4:34-55: reprise of "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips"
4:56-5:27: c. 1902 song called "Reuben and Rachel"
5:27-37: Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance"
5:37-54: reprise of "Painting the Clouds With Sunshine"
7:33-end: one final reprise of "Singin' In the Bathtub"

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Wasn't a clip from this cartoon used in the Toonheads opening sequence?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:46 pm

speedy fast wrote:Wasn't a clip from this cartoon used in the Toonheads opening sequence?

Yes, even though the short itself was never featured in the actual series, that I can recall.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 pm

From the Lewiston Morning Tribune (Lewiston, Idaho) - Sunday, Aug 10, 1930 in an advertising section "The Warner Bros.-Vitaphone Talking Pictures News":

...Luney Tunes??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:From the Lewiston Morning Tribune (Lewiston, Idaho) - Sunday, Aug 10, 1930 in an advertising section "The Warner Bros.-Vitaphone Talking Pictures News":

...Luney Tunes??

Hm- so apparently the idea was originally to parody specific WB films. I don't think "Congo Jazz" or "Boxcar Blues" are parodies of anything in particular- are they?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 pm

AndrewGilmore wrote:Hm- so apparently the idea was originally to parody specific WB films. I don't think "Congo Jazz" or "Boxcar Blues" are parodies of anything in particular- are they?

I think they meant songs that Warner owns.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:Would they really need four animators for this?

Well Mr. Fox, some time ago I searched for information to this cartoon, and Freleng was the only listed animator, so he probably did nearly all the scenes.

P.S.: Some sources also mention that Harman and Ising also collaborated to animate the short, but they probably counted reused animation from some Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons they made for Charles Mintz back in 1928.

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm

dphirschler wrote:I've often wondered... Was the animation in this (and other early 30's WB cartoons) done with keyframes, or did they do it sequentially like the Fleischers? It sort of has the appearance of sequential.
Darryl

I'm not sure, but it looks that the first three or four Bosko cartoons were made sequentially as most studios at the time.

rex racer

Postby rex racer » Sun May 01, 2011 1:09 pm

tristar wrote:No mention of Sinkin' in the Bathtub in this December 7th, 1930 article for the L.A. Times, but Joe Dante speculates that this was the very first article ever published about Looney Tunes:

This where I found it: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/looneytunesarticle.jpg

It's interesting that early press releases often mis-spelled "Bosko" as Bosco". Perhaps it's because Vitaphone didn't get it right in the first place as identfied in thiis very early Theatrical onesheet poster...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”