"Sinkin' in the Bathtub" (1930) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
User avatar
David Gerstein
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:21 pm
Contact:

Postby David Gerstein » Sun May 01, 2011 1:17 pm

The early Vitaphone presskit materials always spell it "Bosco," too—I don't have my references with me right now, but either all the way up to BOSKO'S HOLIDAY, or quite close to it.

Evidently there was actual disagreement about how the name should be officially spelled. The early model sheets (including the pre-Mickey 1928 prototype) use a K, but it seems as if Warner really wanted a C.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

User avatar
rex racer
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:57 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Postby rex racer » Sun May 01, 2011 3:55 pm

David Gerstein wrote:The early Vitaphone presskit materials always spell it "Bosco," too—I don't have my references with me right now, but either all the way up to BOSKO'S HOLIDAY, or quite close to it.

Evidently there was actual disagreement about how the name should be officially spelled. The early model sheets (including the pre-Mickey 1928 prototype) use a K, but it seems as if Warner really wanted a C.


Hugh Harman must have dug his heels in if this were the case. Bosko was HIS copywrited / registered character, ignoring the spelling could have led into legal wranglings with WB in the future. (Likely too!) Having seen the seperation documents/correspondance with Schlessinger in 1933, it wasn't exactly amicable :rolleyes:

User avatar
Paulie J. Waddle
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: Wackyland

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 am

I've always wondered something about this cartoon:

Why does the car come out of the outhouse? :confused:
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

User avatar
looneytooney
Junior Member
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby looneytooney » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:I've always wondered something about this cartoon:

Why does the car come out of the outhouse? :confused:


That lack of decorum in early 30s cartoons makes me laugh, though. Check out Flip the Frog for that kind of humor.

User avatar
Paulie J. Waddle
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: Wackyland

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Speaking of that, didn't Ub Iwerks do any Warner animation? I know he directed the first Gabby short, but do you think we could start a new thread about this...?
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

User avatar
The "Chase"
Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: I'll tell you in 5 years.

Postby The "Chase" » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:Speaking of that, didn't Ub Iwerks do any Warner animation?


He directed "Porky and Gabby," "Porky's Super Service," and according to Michael Barrier, drew a few layouts of "Porky's Badtime Story" before Clampett directed it.


Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests