"Porky's Last Stand" (1940) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Jon Cooke

"Porky's Last Stand" (1940) Breakdown Thread

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:20 pm

Supervision: Robert Clampett
Animation: I. Ellis
Story By: Warren Foster
Musical Direction: Carl W. Stalling

Production Number: 9158
Series: Looney Tunes
Release Date: January 6, 1940

Synopsis: Porky and Daffy are running a lunch wagon. When he discovers there is a shortage of hamburger, Daffy goes after a calf but ends up getting chased by an angry bull.

References:
The "Sheridan Salad" refers to actress Ann Sheridan.

"Greetings, Gate!" was a catch phrase of Jerry Colonna.

Daffy taunts the bull by calling him "Ferdinand", referring to the 1936 children's book, The Story of Ferdinand, by Munro Leaf. The book was adapted into a Walt Disney cartoon in 1938 called "Ferdinand the Bull".

Video Availability:
All This, and Heaven Too DVD (WHV; 2008)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:21 pm

More screen shots attached (apologies for the CN logo).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:22 pm

screen shots attached

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Interesting, the way Daffy is drawn here. At least his eyes, he has that weird design around them.

Norm McCabe seemed to have done most of the animation on Porky. He sure liked sticking big dopey smiles on Porky a lot.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 pm

I believe this is the first cartoon where they decided to not speed up Daffy's voice a certain percent (and they continue to sped up that much until next year I think), so as a result, we get to hear the way Mel would voice Daffy in the decades to come for the first time. Why Bob decided to slow down the speed of Daffy's voice in this particular cartoon though, I have no clue.

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

This cartoon is also significant because, unlike the Merrie Melodies series, the Looney Tunes did not begin using the familiar concentric circle title cards until further into the forties, and these b/w Porky cartoons had their own titles, featuring Porky on a background of musical notes. Clampett toys with the idea here of keeping the current Porky opening but using the circles for the title and credits. Whether it was a conscious effort or not (as it could be just a "bullseye", since the cartoon deals with a bull) it is the first appearance of the circles on a Looney Tune.

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Music used: "Start The Day Right", "Plenty Of Money And You".

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 am

Brandon Panther wrote:Interesting, the way Daffy is drawn here. At least his eyes, he has that weird design around them.

On top of that he's wearing shoes! Somehow that just seems...wrong.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 am

Maybe as a laugh someone could time how long Porky appears on screen in this cartoon so it can be compared to his other 1940 entries.

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:45 am

Matthew Hunter wrote:This cartoon is also significant because, unlike the Merrie Melodies series, the Looney Tunes did not begin using the familiar concentric circle title cards until further into the forties, and these b/w Porky cartoons had their own titles, featuring Porky on a background of musical notes. Clampett toys with the idea here of keeping the current Porky opening but using the circles for the title and credits. Whether it was a conscious effort or not (as it could be just a "bullseye", since the cartoon deals with a bull) it is the first appearance of the circles on a Looney Tune.

Those circles look just like the circles used on the later 1944 Looney Tunes shorts on the colorized version.

I think Norm McCabe, John Carey, Vive Risto and Dave Hoffman did some uncredited animation here. I think all of them worked on this one.

MPPDA certificate number: 5779

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”