"Porky's Last Stand" (1940) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 am

BTW, I think that the animation of Porky when he slams the door in the bull's face and the animation of the bull after that scene was reused in "The Hep Cat".

Notice those MM rings in the background!

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:31 pm

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:On top of that he's wearing shoes! Somehow that just seems...wrong.
Ring-eyed Daffy is also in WISE QUACKS—and on this poster. It's certainly a "daffier" look for him, but I think it's also far less appealing.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 pm

A couple of ads. The Kay Kyser feature is from Jan. 1940. "Fox News" sure brings up a different connotation today.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
[ATTACH]3808[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3809[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Other music: "I'd Love to Take Orders From You" and "All In Favor Say 'Aye'".

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Andrew, when you identify music and song cues, can you mention which parts of the cartoon they are heard at? Thanks.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 pm

This short reuses some animation from The Daffy Doc - when Daffy walks with the mallet behind his back. (They'll be a lot more instances of this in Clampett's cartoons of this period)

Also contains an instance of the 'heart' gag. Was this used much (or at all) previously?

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Andrew, when you identify music and song cues, can you mention which parts of the cartoon they are heard at? Thanks.

I should have- only Matt didn't do it in his earlier post about music, and nobody ID'd the music cues in "Sinkin' In the Bathtub", so obviously we're still working on regulating guidelines around here. Anyway, for the record:

Obviously, "(Ho-De-Ay) Start the Day Right" is the vocal selection at the beginning, then "I'd Love to Take Orders From You" plays from 1:34-about 3:21. Daffy then sings a song to the tune of "With Plenty of Money and You" from 3:32-4:07. "All In Favor Say 'Aye'" plays in the chase scenes from 4:42 to about 6:13, then a bit more of "Start the Day Right" takes us to the end.

dphirschler

Postby dphirschler » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:54 am

The version found on "All This and Heaven Too" looks pretty good, except for that opening fade from the title card into the lunch wagon. It gets "pixelated". There are also a few garbage frames in the title cards. I fixed both problems after I ripped it, and of course removed the 3:2 pulldown. I'll post the AviSynth script if there is any interest.

Darryl

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Interesting, the way Daffy is drawn here. At least his eyes, he has that weird design around them.

Norm McCabe seemed to have done most of the animation on Porky. He sure liked sticking big dopey smiles on Porky a lot.

I actually believe that there's a movie poster on AllPosters.com where he has those same rings around his eyes...
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”