"Fastest With The Mostest" (1960) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Matthew Hunter

"Fastest With The Mostest" (1960) Breakdown Thread

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:08 pm

“Fastest With the Mostest”

Directed by: Chuck Jones
Animation: Ken Harris, Richard Thompson, Ben Washam, Keith Darling
Layouts and Backgrounds: Philip De Guard
Film Editor: Treg Brown
Music: Milt Franklyn

Series:
Looney Tunes
Release Date: January 19, 1960

NOTE: There is no story credit.

Synopsis: Wile E. Coyote lights a stick of dynamite, which explodes instantly and displays the opening credits in a cloud of smoke. The Coyote (Carnivorous Slobbius) chases the Road Runner (Velocitus Incalcublus) and actually outruns him, but runs straight off the edge of a cliff. Wile E. climbs back up the side of the canyon, only to be startled right back down by the Road Runner’s “Beep beep!”. A plan to catch the Road Runner by dropping a bomb from a balloon ends up inflating, deflating and exploding the Coyote. Wile E. tries baiting the Road Runner with bird seed while lowering himself from above on a bucket and pulley rig, but it proves disastrous to the Coyote. A “detour” sign lures the Road Runner to the edge of a narrow cliff, but when Wile E. takes a step toward the Road Runner with cutlery in hand, the middle of the precipice collapses beneath him, leaving the Road Runner on the edge, floating in midair. After a long fall that lands him in a river, the Coyote is sucked into a pipe and drains himself from a faucet, holding a sign: “I wouldn’t mind that, except it defies the law of gravity”. The Road Runner, still in midair, replies with a sign of his own: “I never studied law”!

Video Availability:
Looney Tunes: The Collector’s Edition Vol. 14: Cartoon Superstars (Columbia House, VHS)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Hunter

Additional Screen Shots:

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Additional Screen Shots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Hunter

Additional Screen Shots (2)

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Additional Screen Shots (2)

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 pm

It's either Mike or Chuck who could wrote the story on this one. If it's Mike, I think we all know why. If it's Chuck, then I have no clue why he's uncredited in a few of that year's cartoons.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 pm

OK, I would like something clarified. IMDB says that a song called "Audition" by Arthur Koty is used in this cartoon. But IMDB has been known to be incorrect, and a Google search for this song barely brings up anything, other than a copyright page stating that the song exists. But no way to listen to the song to verify its validity, to my knowledge. So, true or false?

Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 pm

This is the last Roadrunner cartoon where the backgrounds are distinctively designed with a yellow sky/sand. It's also a pretty unusual entry in the series with there being no quick and brief gags.

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 pm

The "defying the law of gravity"/"I never studied law" closing gag is reminiscent of the joke that ends the Bugs Bunny cartoon High Diving Hare, made roughly ten years before this cartoon.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm

The title of this cartoon is a reference to a quote attributed to Civil War General Nathan Bedford Forrest, "git thar fustest with the mostest".

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Story uncredited because it was Jones's own.

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Thad wrote:Story uncredited because it was Jones's own.

Well, now I know. Now the question is this; why is he uncredited in this one and "Rabbit's Feat", but wasn't with "Hopalong Casualty" onward?

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”