"Fastest With The Mostest" (1960) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Matthew Hunter wrote:
Video Availability:
Looney Tunes: The Collector’s Edition Vol. 14: Cartoon Superstars (Columbia House, VHS)

It was also released in "The Looney Tunes Video Show #4".

The "Chase" wrote:It's either Mike or Chuck who could wrote the story on this one. If it's Mike, I think we all know why. If it's Chuck, then I have no clue why he's uncredited in a few of that year's cartoons.

I don't know why Mike would have been uncredited here (nor do I know why Jones would have been).

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:13 am

speedy fast wrote: I don't know why Mike would have been uncredited here (nor do I know why Jones would have been).

Mike Maltese left the Warner Bros. studio in about 1959 to work for Hanna-Barbera. I don't know why Jones wasn't credited (Friz Freleng also wrote some of his 1960-released cartoons without credit).

Production number:
MPAA certificate number: 19257
Vitaphone release number: 2915

Mel Blanc provides uncredited vocal effects. The first cartoon directed by Jones after Abe Levitow left the studio. Phil DeGuard provides layouts instead of Maurice Noble.
One of the few cartoons from this period animated by Keith Darling. He was a longtime assistant animator for Jones. In 1953 (just before the shutdown) he became an animator at WB, working with Robert McKimson on "All Fowled Up" (because most of the McKimson animators already left him at that point). After the reopening he became an animator for Jones, working on 4 cartoons. He was transferred to the McKimson unit after those 4 cartoons, since McKimson had no animators. After "Boston Quackie" (released 6/22/57) he disappears from the credits, and returns on "Hip-Hip-Hurry!" (directed by Jones, released 12/6/58). He animated for Jones (and Abe Levitow) again, until "Who Scent You?" (released 4/23/60). He then again disappears from the credits and returns animating for McKimson on 1961's "What's My Lion?". His last credit at WB was on "Aqua Duck" (released 9/28/63).
Does anyone have some more information about him?

mickeyfender

Audition

Postby mickeyfender » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:OK, I would like something clarified. IMDB says that a song called "Audition" by Arthur Koty is used in this cartoon. But IMDB has been known to be incorrect, and a Google search for this song barely brings up anything, other than a copyright page stating that the song exists. But no way to listen to the song to verify its validity, to my knowledge. So, true or false?

I don't know the song myself, but I just searched the ASCAP database, and their listing for the song makes reference to Fastest with the Mostest.

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=310076530&search_in=i&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=25&start=1

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 am

The Crazy HR wrote:Mike Maltese left the Warner Bros. studio in about 1959 to work for Hanna-Barbera.

Everyone seems to assume that once someone left Warners, they were never to be mentioned on screen. We're talking 1960 here, not the Avery/Clampett days under different management.

Maltese left for Hanna-Barbera in October 1958. His name appears throughout 1959: on Baton Bunny (Jan. 59), Hare-Abian Nights (Mar. 59), Hot Rod and Reel (May 59), Really Scent (June 59), Here Today, Gone Tamale (Aug. 59), Wild About Hurry (Oct. 59), A Witch's Tangled Hare (Oct. 59) and Unnatural History (Nov. 59). He's credited into 1960.

"The Chase" raises a good point about credits; I don't know what the terms of the Cartoonists Guild contract were at that point.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:45 am

And some assorted ads. Pretty eclectic group of features it was paired with.

[ATTACH]4303[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4304[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4305[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4306[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4307[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”