"Goldimouse and the Three Cats" (1960) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Thad

"Goldimouse and the Three Cats" (1960) Breakdown Thread

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Production Number: 1535
MPAA 19261

Story: Michael Maltese
Animation: Virgil Ross, Art Davis, Gerry Chiniquy
Layouts: Hawley Pratt
Backgrounds: Tom O'Loughlin
Film Editor: Treg Brown
VC: Mel Blanc, June Foray (uncredited)
Music: Milt Franklyn

Release Date: March 19, 1960
Series: Looney Tunes

Synopsis: "Now where have I heard that before?" The tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, only this time with a mouse and a family of cats. Sylvester plays the father with his milquetoast wife and Sylvester Jr. as the "spoiled brat" (with matching labels, yet!). Junior whines about never having mice to eat all the way through their walk in the forest (during which Sylvester has an accident on the bridge), and is delighted to find home invader Goldimouse sleeping in his bed. He screams his head off to get his indifferent father to make with the chase. Sylvester soon becomes more obsessed with getting mouse for his son's breakfast than his son is, suffering not only pain, but the humiliation of having his wife tend to his many injuries. After several failed attempts, mother and son leave for the family bomb shelter as Sylvester gets caught in one final explosion. A battered Sylvester enters and gives Junior his breakfast - a bowl of porridge - over his head. "Thpoiled brat!"

Video Availability:
Laserdisc: Wince Upon a Time: Foolhardy Fairy Tales and Looney Legends
DVD: Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Vol. 5

Notes:

The only time Sylvester Jr. starred in a cartoon not directed by Bob McKimson.

Reuses blowdart gag from Bushy Hare and Pre-Hysterical Hare.

Used in Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:43 pm

More screenshots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Last batch of screenshots.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Animation breakdown:

Opening with cats at table, cats out for walk: Virgil Ross
Goldimouse enters, "I'm very sleepy", trying out beds: Gerry Chiniquy
Cats return, "And thank goodness it's all gone!", Sly and wife at beds: Ross
Junior at bed with Goldimouse: Chiniquy
Mouse jumps onto Sly, "Put 're on the plate!", "Guess she got away!": Art Davis
Junior whining: Ross
Sly gets clobbered by mouse: Davis
"For shame!": Ross
Sly shoots self into mousehole with bow and arrow: Davis
Junior calls mother, mother comes with plunger, Sylvester with plunger on ass: Ross
Blowdart and dynamite cage scenes, Sly builds mallet contraption, "I love cheese": Davis
Mouse takes, Sylvester chases her, gets hit by mallet: Chiniquy
Mother and Junior leave for shelter as Sylvester blows house up, Sylvester dumps porridge on Junior's head, iris out: Chiniquy

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Why is the plunger referred to as "the thing?" They really couldn't say "Plunger" back then?

Sylvester Jr. is weird in this short. It may have to do with Freleng, and I know each director had different ways of handling characters, but Freleng got Sylvester Jr. all wrong. He's not supposed to be bratty. He's supposed to act a bit eggheaded compared to his father. Nonetheless, the short still works.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Another one of those Maltese-Freleng cartoons made after Warren Foster left. Some Jones-directed cartoons from this period didn't have a story by Maltese (like "Fastest With The Mostest"), but he was still in the studio. He was probably too busy writing for both Jones and Freleng at the same time.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 am

Bumping this thread. Was posted early but is now being reposted.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am

The Crazy HR wrote:Another one of those Maltese-Freleng cartoons made after Warren Foster left. Some Jones-directed cartoons from this period didn't have a story by Maltese (like "Fastest With The Mostest"), but he was still in the studio. He was probably too busy writing for both Jones and Freleng at the same time.

Jones may have written them himself. He certainly had a high opinion of his own story abilities.

Out of curiosity, who were the assistants in the unit at this time? Matz? Leonardi? Lee Halpern?

Here are a couple of newspaper ads. I like how Sylvester, Jr. gets a mention in the second one.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
[ATTACH]4143[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4144[/ATTACH]

Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 am

The gag where Sylvester freezes after a concussion seemed to be a favourite of Freleng's around this period, was it used before this?

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:Out of curiosity, who were the assistants in the unit at this time? Matz? Leonardi? Lee Halpern?

Every one of them. They were inbetweeners in the studio back in early 40s (Halpern is seen in the 1940 WB Christmas reel). Matz was the first one to get promoted. His first credit was on "Three Little Bops" (1957), but I don't think he did any animation in that short. He became a full animator on theatrical shorts in 1961, after Art Davis left, but he was an animator prior to that on "The Bugs Bunny Show" (when Davis was still there). Art Leonardi and Lee Halpern were promoted to animators a short time after Davis left (their first credit was on "The Last Hungry Cat"). I think some of the assistants were promoted to animators later at DFE.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”