"The Booze Hangs High" (1930) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Lee Glover

"The Booze Hangs High" (1930) Breakdown Thread

Postby Lee Glover » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Drawn by Isadore Freleng and Paul Smith
Musical Score by Frank Marsales

Series: Looney Tunes
Release Date: November 1930

Synopsis
After dancing with a cow and playing cello using the tail of his horse, Bosko feeds his pigs on his farm. However, the swine are more keen on a discovered bottle of hooch. The inebriated trio, along with Bosko (who becomes accidently drunk when the pigs threw the bottle on him), sings drunken songs (where the adult pig regurgitates a corn cob) and finishes with a little cossack dance.

Video Availability
Looney Tunes Golden Collection - Volume 6 (DVD)
Uncensored Bosko - Volume 2 (DVD)

Music Used
The soundtrack mostly consist of songs from the the now-lost First National operetta film "Song of the Flame" (based on the 1925 Broadway musical of the same name), most notably "One Little Drink". Other songs includes "How Dry I Am" and "Sweet Adeline".

Trivia
The cartoon begins with the black title card revealing to be the back of a cow, as in the Mickey Mouse cartoon "Plane Crazy" (which Harman & Ising also worked on just a couple of years before).

LinksBrian Cruz's LT Early Years Page
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:29 pm

More screenshots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Bosko sings "You're the Flour of My Heart, Sweet Adeline."

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Small precision

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Lee Glover wrote:Trivia
The cartoon begins with the black title card revealing to be the back of a cow, as in the Mickey Mouse cartoon "Plane Crazy" (which Harman & Ising also worked on just a couple of years before).

Not to get OT, but I strongly doubt Harman and Ising were involved in "Plane Crazy" - especially when Disney and Iwerks worked on it in secret!
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Is anyone informed enough to know which particular songs from "Song of the Flame" are used? I guess I'm supposed to be the music expert around here, but even I don't know that one.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm

The title of this cartoon is a parody of phrase "The Goose Hangs High", which was also the title of a 1924 play.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:Not to get OT, but I strongly doubt Harman and Ising were involved in "Plane Crazy" - especially when Disney and Iwerks worked on it in secret!

Yes, their association with Disney was over by that point. If anything, it's just a direct swipe from Plane Crazy, which Harman and Ising were masters of. It eventually got out of hand with the Foxy series, when apparently Walt called Rudy up and told him to knock it off.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Lee Glover's post mentioned a November 1930 release date. Once again, the ads show otherwise. The third one is from October 1, 1930. Graham Webb's book claims an Oct. 4 release date. The first ad is from Nov. 1930 and the second from January 1931.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

[ATTACH]4013[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4014[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4015[/ATTACH]

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 am

I'm wondering why the framing of this scene is off... the piglet on the far right is half out-of-frame.

The other scene where the adult pig regurgitates the corn had me LMAO!
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:10 am

zavkram wrote:The other scene where the adult pig regurgitates the corn had me LMAO!

That scene was cut when this cartoon aired on Nickelodeon.
The Vitaphone release number is erroneously listed as 4310 on Dave Mackey's page (it's 4340).
It seems like the original WB print of this cartoon is in better shape than the one of "Congo Jazz" (judging by the copies from LTGC Vol.6). The first cartoon crediting the Bray-Hurd patents on the closing titles (Bosko's old voice from "Sinkin' In The Bathtub" is used there).

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”