"Elmer's Candid Camera" (1940) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Treadwell

Postby Treadwell » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:42 pm

David Gerstein wrote:The copyright synopsis on this film calls the rabbit Bugs Bunny (note spelling: it's not "Bugs" Bunny).

Ah, glorious. Up to now I've only encountered a few people who agreed with me that this rabbit is Bugs. :) :bugs2:

As for Jones calling it boring, it certainly isn't in the GOOD NIGHT, ELMER league in that regard. The stepping-from-under-the-bird gag, and Elmer going crazy, yelling "WILD WIFE!!" still crack me up.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:50 am

Note that in this cartoon, Bugs does not wear the ubiquitous white gloves that soon became a part of his own character design; it appears that he simply has white paws. In "Hare-um Scare-um", "Elmer's Pet Rabbit", and "A Wild Hare" he actually did sport gloves, didn't he?

Slightly OT, but did anyone catch the kidding self-reference in the second episode of "The Looney Tunes Show"; during which Lola Bunny corners Bugs at the dry cleaners while he's waiting for his gloves to come back?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm

post removed to stop spread of misinformation
"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
--Walt Disney :rabbit:

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Prinzenick wrote:John K claims that Rod Scribner did the animation of Elmer where he was walking while his hat was bopping up and down.

...what? When did he say that?

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Well, i found that post, and i stand corrected--he didn't even mention Scribner! I really wonder how i got that idea, sorry! I'll edit my previous post to avoid spreading misinformation.
"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
--Walt Disney :rabbit:

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Prinzenick wrote:Well, i found that post, and i stand corrected--he didn't even mention Scribner! I really wonder how i got that idea, sorry! I'll edit my previous post to avoid spreading misinformation.

By any chance... Is there an animator breakdown for this cartoon?
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

The Spectre

Postby The Spectre » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 am

Brandon Panther wrote:Only on "All This and Rabbit Stew".

Which was released after Avery left the studio.

Treadwell

Postby Treadwell » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:56 pm

zavkram wrote:Note that in this cartoon, Bugs does not wear the ubiquitous white gloves that soon became a part of his own character design; it appears that he simply has white paws. In "Hare-um Scare-um", "Elmer's Pet Rabbit", and "A Wild Hare" he actually did sport gloves, didn't he?

Yep, although they were were yellow in the first two.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”