"Elmer's Candid Camera" (1940) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Ah yes one of (perhaps) many shorts that came to be the bane of Chuck Jones' life. I believe in his Chuck Amuck book, he says that you should only watch this cartoon if you feel like dying of boredom.

Note that when Bugs is dragging Elmer back to shore, Elmer is just briefly drawn in the way that the late "Egghead" was in "Believe it Or Else".

Also, even though Bugs was drawn constantly with black tip ears on posters, lobby cards, etc. This is the ONLY cartoon to actually feature him with such.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Music includes "What's New?" (over opening titles) and "Piggy Wiggy Woo" (Bugs' theme song).

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:02 am

The "Chase" wrote:First Elmer Fudd cartoon released, but "Confederate Honey" has a earlier production number, so it's safe to say that it's the first Elmer cartoon Jones directed.

Although, I sort of think it was shaping up to be a typical "Egghead" cartoon under the guidance of Hardaway & Dalton until Friz Freleng took over and had the character adhere to the new Elmer Fudd voice and personality. That's just a theory of mine though. I'm sure someone here could either confirm it or refute it better than I can.
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:58 am

Most of the ads were small that I found. These are the biggest sized ones, all from 1940.
[ATTACH]4298[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4299[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4300[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 am

AndrewGilmore wrote:Music includes "What's New?" (over opening titles) and "Piggy Wiggy Woo" (Bugs' theme song).
Also "Brahms's Lullaby" and "You're a Horse's Ass".

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I think by this time compared to Porky's Hare Hunt and Hare-Um Scare-Um, Proto Bugs has a slightly deeper voice--although the woody woodpecker laugh remains identical.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 am

Glowworm wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I think by this time compared to Porky's Hare Hunt and Hare-Um Scare-Um, Proto Bugs has a slightly deeper voice--although the woody woodpecker laugh remains identical.

The voice is even deeper in "Elmer's Pet Rabbit" (which I actually prefer to this cartoon).

I'm trying to remember, do any of Tex Avery's Bugs Bunny cartoons specifically refer to the character by that name in the opening credits?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am

zavkram wrote:I'm trying to remember, do any of Tex Avery's Bugs Bunny cartoons specifically refer to the character by that name in the opening credits?

Only on "All This and Rabbit Stew".
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Leviathan wrote:Oh yeah, I knew about the press sheet, David. I just thought that those were one-off occurrences of the name that were likely referenced later on. Now, it seems like Bugs' name stuck from 1939 on.
That's right.

I'm hoping to have a blogpost one day collecting some early uses of Bugs' name—yikes, since when have I updated my blog?!
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

mickeyfender

Postby mickeyfender » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:03 pm

In addition to What's New, Brahms' Lullaby and Piggy Wiggy Woo, the tune that Elmer whistles as he walks in the woods is Sticks and Stones (by Al Goodhart, Al Hoffman and Manny Kurtz).

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”