"Homeless Hare" (1950) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Sean Gaffney

"Homeless Hare" (1950) Breakdown Thread

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 am

Directed by: Charles M. Jones
Story: Michael Maltese
Animation: Ken Harris, Phil Monroe, Ben Washam, Lloyd Vaughan
Layouts: Robert Gribbroek
Backgrounds: Peter Alvarado
Voice Characterization: Mel Blanc; John T. Smith (uncredited)
Musical direction: Carl Stalling

Series: Merrie Melodies
Release Date: March 11, 1950
Blue Ribbon re-release sometime from 1959-1964. Original opening/closing missing.
Production Number: Unknown, Blue Ribbon
MPAA Number: 13025

Synopsis: Bugs Bunny is rudely awoken by a construction site, as the hill that his home stands on is being demolished to make way for a huge skyscraper. When the chief construction worker (dubbed "Hercules" by Bugs) is aggressively rude in his response to Bugs asking him to put his home back where it was, Bugs decides to get even. This involves simple bricks and girders to the head, elevator mishaps, disguises, and finally a very hot rivet in just the right place. In the end, the skyscraper goes up... but Bugs get his way.

Video Availability:
Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Vol. 3 DVD - Disc 1 (WHV; 2005)
White Heat (1949) (Bonus cartoon) (WHV, 2005)

Music Used:
Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals (Raymond Scott). circa 1937.
Perpetuum Mobile, Op. 257 (Johann Strauss II), circa 1861.
Rock-A-Bye-Baby (Effie Canning). 1886
Home Sweet Home (H.R. Bishop/J.H. Payne), circa 1852.
Singing in the Bathtub (Michael H Cleary/Herb Magidson/Ned Washington). From the 1929 WB musical The Show of Shows.
Overture from The Jolly Robbers (Banditenstreiche) (Franz Von Suppe), circa 1867.
This Is Worth Fighting For (Sam H. Stept/Edgar DeLange), from the 1942 Universal musical When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

Trivia:
The working title for this cartoon was "Blueprint Bugs".

Hercules' line "I'm feeling mighty low" was a takeoff on Candy Candido, the radio performer who made it a catch phrase on The Jimmy Durante Show. He did several voice roles for Disney, and worked with Chuck Jones on The Phantom Tollbooth.

This appears to be the first work of John T. Smith for the WB studio, as he voices the construction worker. He tended to take on a lot of roles that Billy Bletcher normally had done, and can be heard off and on for the next 4 years or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat May 21, 2011 9:41 am

More screenshots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 am

And more screenshots:

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sat May 21, 2011 9:45 am

Very obscure trivia: The line "I'm feelin' mighty low" was one of the sound bytes said by the cat in the application iCat.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sat May 21, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for all of the informations about the music scores from that short Sean. It's another of those cartoons we know by heart but never be tired of it. (Solid animation, great Bugs' foe) It ran a lot for years on TVA and ABC in their respective packages. I guess many of the networks favourites was the cartoons aired in syndication. I guess they having a wide demand for this shorts in the 70's since they wasn't in the original Bugs Bunny Show.

My favourite scene was when Bugs pull out the bricks when Hercules remove his own work clothes. :bugs2:

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sat May 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Sean Gaffney wrote:Animation: Ken Harris, Phil Monroe, Ben Washam, Lloyd Vaughan

Emery Hawkins is uncredited. He works on the beginning from Bugs waking up from his hole to Bugs yelling, "Didn't you ever hear of the sanctity of the American home?!" where he gets more dirt pummeled on him.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Mon May 23, 2011 1:26 am

Sean Gaffney wrote:Release Date: March 11, 1950

Sean, oddly enough, I've found a newspaper ad for Feb. 24, 1950 (from Abiline) revealing the cartoon was playing at the Paramount Theatre there (with an old version of Bugs in the ad). But Boxoffice magazine says it opened March 11. Here are some others ads, from March, April, May and June.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

[ATTACH]4356[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4357[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4358[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4359[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4360[/ATTACH]

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Mon May 23, 2011 6:52 pm

looneytooney wrote:Emery Hawkins is uncredited. He works on the beginning from Bugs waking up from his hole to Bugs yelling, "Didn't you ever hear of the sanctity of the American home?!" where he gets more dirt pummeled on him.

Hawkins animated more than that. He actually animates all the way to the construction worker getting the I-beam girder dropped on his head by Bugs, drilling him into the ground. So, yeah, the worker saying, "I'll tuck you in yer little bed" all the way to the worker coming out of the ground in a rage with the girder stuck on his head are Emery's work too.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Y'know, Emery's bits throughout the three units in the early 50s makes me wish he had stuck around WB a little longer. He's probably in my top five animators and I love his bits at the beginning of Homeless Hare.

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Tue May 24, 2011 1:51 pm

^If Emery was "good at sticking to a standard thing everybody was doing", he would of.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”