"Homeless Hare" (1950) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
angilbas

Postby angilbas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Bugsy-Kun wrote:My favourite scene was when Bugs pull out the bricks when Hercules remove his own work clothes. :bugs2:

Classic Ben Washam animation.

-Tony

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

I've never understood why so many "Bugs Bunny in" title cards were removed from BR reissues.

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 am

The Crazy HR wrote:I've never understood why so many "Bugs Bunny in" title cards were removed from BR reissues.

Probably because for most of them, Bugs does the 'window shade' trick with the WB rings. When the short were prepared for reissue, they probably couldn't get the cut right without revealing part of the original bullseye.

Zartok-35

Lets try an Animator breakdown!

Postby Zartok-35 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 am

Introductory excavation scenes, falling projectiles - Emery Hawkins
Elevator sequence - Lloyd Vaughan
"Hercules" up in the sky with bird, "Ha.", drops through several floors - Ben Washam
Buried in wet cement, Bugs poses as foreman, fast construction scenes - Phil Monroe
Balancing with the bricks - Ben Washam
Hercules' head indents construction beam, little guy paints his face - Ken Harris
"Maybe that'll teach that big baboon some manners." -Phil Monroe
Bugs hit in the face with beam -Lloyd Vaugahn
Bugs' wild disorderly ramapge - Ken Harris
"Hercules" abuses little guy, Bugs dispenses hot rivet, ensuing satisfied smirk - Phil Monroe
Pipe/tank drops, "I'm feelin' mighty low" - Lloyd Vaughan
"Well toodles, do I get my home back, or do I have to get tough?", "A man's home is his castle." - Phil Monroe
You've gotta change with the changes.
http://blabbingonartsandculture.blogspot.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Pretty good breakdown, Zartok. I think it's all pretty accurate as far as I know, even in some of the brief shots.

Boy Wonder

Postby Boy Wonder » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:01 pm

One of the rare combinations when a cartoon is as good as the feature it supplements. In 'Homeless Hare's' case, it was the curtain jerker for "White Heat", probably one of the best films to not win the Oscar.
:ysam:Open the bridge varmint, open it I say....

CLOSE IT CLOSE IT, CLOSE IT UP AGAIN....:ysam:

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:58 am

The Crazy HR wrote:I've never understood why so many "Bugs Bunny in" title cards were removed from BR reissues.

Take in mind that this cartoon was reissued between 1959 and 1964, by that time the 1.85 had become the non-anamorphic standard, that meant that pre-1954 shorts had to be resized (in that case, the old ''Bugs Bunny in...'' card couldn't fit on the screen properly (that probably explains that some post-48 Blue Ribbons have replaced title cards).
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

Lemanic

Postby Lemanic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Homless Hare is hillarious. Just love the risky line where Bugs says "Action he says, Action he shall get" when Hercules goes all walmart on an employee. That pretty much sounds like an anti union busting movement to me. How did that get past censorship in the U.S?

But hey, it's just an animated short. Nothing serious here, huh? I'm just over-analyzing.

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”