"Dumb Patrol" (1931) Breakdown Thread

An on-going research forum devoted to archiving information about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies filmography.
Sean Gaffney

"Dumb Patrol" (1931) Breakdown Thread

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:35 am

Drawn By: Isadore Freleng & Max Maxwell
Musical Score by Frank Marsales
Voice Characterizations (uncredited): Johnny Murray, Rochelle Hudson

Series: Looney Tunes
Release Date: May 1931
Production Number: 4664

Synopsis: There's a war going on! Bosko is trying to ignore it and oil his cute little plane, but the villain tries to kill him one too many times, so Bosko takes to the air! Sadly, his firepower is not enough, and the cute little plane is soon destroyed, leaving Bosko to plummet to earth and land in the inevitable pair of long johns. Presumably he must have landed in France, as when Honey appears (living in her bombed-out hovel), Bosko attempts to talk with her in French. He then kisses her, much to her displeasure. He tries to win her over by playing the piano, which works out nicely, and soon the two are singing and dancing. Unfortunately, that villain is back, and he destroys the piano. This makes Bosko very angry, so he grabs a stovepipe, fence, and dachshund and makes an improvised plane. After another aerial battle, Bosko succeeds in blowing the enemy plane into tiny little planes, which he then finishes off with Flit.

Video Availability:
Uncensored Bosko, Vol. 1 DVD (Image Entertainment; 2000)

Music Used:
Get Happy (Ted Koehler/Harold Arlen), from the 1930 musical The Nine-Fifteen Revue.
Shuffle Your Feet (And Just Roll Along) (Dorothy Fields/Jimmy McHugh), from the 1928 musical Blackbirds of 1928.

Links:
http://bosko.toonzone.net/1931/dumb_patrol/

Trivia:
The title is a parody of WB's 1930 war drama Dawn Patrol, also known for its aerial battles. Dawn Patrol was later remade in 1938 starring Errol Flynn. The title Dumb Patrol was also used for a 1964 Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Bosko gets a little more rudimentary dialogue here, including the memorable "I'll get you!".

Bosko whistles Get Happy in the opening scene. It would later become the theme to the first Merrie Melodies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:36 am

More screenshots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 am

And more screenshots:

mickeyfender

Music

Postby mickeyfender » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Music used, including what's listed above:

Get Happy
Music by Harold Arlen
Played at the beginning when Bosko is giving his airplane oil

Under the Moon, It's You
Music by Al Sherman (as Norman White)
Played when Bosko and his airplane are in the bomb crater

Shuffle Your Feet (and Just Roll Along)
Music by Jimmy McHugh
Played when Bosko takes off in his airplane

Quand Madelon
Music by Camille Robert
Hummed by Honey when she first appears

(Five-Six-Seven-Eight) Nine Little Miles from Ten-Ten-Tennessee
Music by Con Conrad
Played when Bosko first speaks to Honey

When Love Comes in the Moonlight
Music by Joe Burke
Played on piano by Bosko and danced by Honey

Here Comes My Blackbird
Music by Jimmy McHugh
Played when Bosko flies the dog into battle

Living a Life of Dreams (music by Ruby Cowan) is also supposedly represented, but I haven't been able to figure out where.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Once again, this was not released in May 1931. I've found a bunch of ads for this month from March 1931 (but no sooner). I've only posted a couple.

The one about a "klever" cartoon is confusing. I can't see that another cartoon called 'Dumb Patrol' was made, nor any evidence of a "Klever" studio or series. I've only found the reference in one newspaper so I'm ready to write it off as an idiocyncracy, or possibly the name of a distributor in the Territory of Alaska.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

[ATTACH]4709[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4710[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4711[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4712[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4713[/ATTACH]

Return to “The Merry-Go-Round Breakdown”