The Way the Flinstones originally aired

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:33 pm

zavkram wrote:This is excerpted from the FAQ's on the linked page above:

"...And although this release of episodes is indeed colorized as we've become so accustomed to, WB has restored the original opening and closing credits and music as well as portions of the original laugh-track."

I always thought that the series was filmed in color from the very start, but that it wasn't broadcast in color until 1964.

Indeed, The Flinstones (as well as with the entire H-B output) was filmed in color from the very start (including the Flagstones pilot), but it wasn't televised in color until the fall of 1962, when ABC began broadcasting some filmed programs in color. However, it wasn't until the fall of 1966 when ABC had its entire prime time schedule in color, with some daytime programming telecast in black-and-white until mid-1969 or so.
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:26 pm

zavkram wrote:This is excerpted from the FAQ's on the linked page above:

"...And although this release of episodes is indeed colorized as we've become so accustomed to, WB has restored the original opening and closing credits and music as well as portions of the original laugh-track."

I always thought that the series was filmed in color from the very start, but that it wasn't broadcast in color until 1964.

I find that very hard to believe because if you watched that video I posted a link to, all those things that were in the original show opening/closings would have been the DVD releases of the show if WB really restored it but instead, they used the changed opening/closings that were shown in the reruns of the show on CN and boomerang. those original opening/closings aren't publicly available on DVD or shown on TV anymore, so it's a rare glimpse on how the show originally aired that you probably won't see anywhere else.

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:02 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:I find that very hard to believe because if you watched that video I posted a link to, all those things that were in the original show opening/closings would have been the DVD releases of the show if WB really restored it but instead, they used the changed opening/closings that were shown in the reruns of the show on CN and boomerang. those original opening/closings aren't publicly available on DVD or shown on TV anymore, so it's a rare glimpse on how the show originally aired that you probably won't see anywhere else.

The show, and the openings were filmed in color. But back then a lot of cities didn't even have three TV stations, and ABC was usually the odd network out, reduced to trying to get stations in those smaller markets to bump low-performing NBC or CBS shows once a night for one of their higher-rated series, even if it ran 3-4 days after it had aired in the larger markets. Because of that, and full ABC affiliates who for whatever reason weren't showing the episodes the night they went out over the coaxial cable, so called "bicycle prints" were struck in black & white, to be shipped to the affiliates to run on a time-delayed basis.

That's what you're seeing here, and what you saw in the B&W excerpts from "The Bugs Bunny Show" on the Golden Collections. Those were the B&W prints struck to be shipped out to the affiliates (since there was no point in ABC footing the bill for color negative prints if the affiliates only had B&W telecine equipment), and many of those prints have found there way into the collectors' markets. So what you're seeing it how viewers watching the show time-shifted back in 1960-62 saw it; if you were watching it in real time back then, there were a few things left out (such as the ABC Network identifier at the end of most of the B&W bicycle prints).
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

looneyboy

Postby looneyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Was the "Winston" cigarette advertisement on all episodes, or just some of them?

I can understand why nowadays commercials are now seperated from the show, it must have got tiring changing the starting line everytime you needed to advertize something.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:27 pm

looneyboy wrote:Was the "Winston" cigarette advertisement on all episodes, or just some of them?

Miles Laboratory was the alternate sponsor at the outset, as far as I remember.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 am

Fibber Fox wrote:Miles Laboratory was the alternate sponsor at the outset, as far as I remember.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

You're right, and here is the proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85y2cwNU1zo&playnext=1&list=PLB28C24864E665732 A variant of the intro with an Alka-Seltzer plug.
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

kaneda

Postby kaneda » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:I don't know if this interest's you guys or not but I found a interesting video on Youtube of the Flintstones original opening/closings (it includes the original integrated commercials and laugh track at the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt8skgm2l8

this is the way the Flin stones originally aired on TV. Unfortunately, this hasn't been restored yet on to DVD or what not.

I remember that start in the UK (without the cancer sticks at the end) and may have some episodes like that on VHS somewhere.

rodinei1964

"The Flintstones" and their sponsors

Postby rodinei1964 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 pm

São Paulo - SP, Brazil, August 10, 2011.

Hello, fellas from GAC and HB-fanatics from the Americas and the whole world!

Here are the sponsors from The Flintstones (Hanna-Barbera/Columbia Pictures, 1960-66), when this series was originally broadcasted in the USA by ABC (http://www.abctelevision.com):

- Winston cigarettes (from R.J. Reynolds [nowadays manufactured by British American Tobacco]), which was one of official sponsors from the 1982 FIFA World Cup (held in Spain). This cigarette brand was sold here in Brazil during the 80s and recently returned to be sold in my country.

- Alka-Seltzer (from Miles Laboratories, which was purchased in the 90s by Bayer Schering Pharma), which during many years was sold here in Brazil. It sponsored the 1974 (held in Germany), 1978 (held in Argentina) and 1982 (held in Spain) FIFA World Cup.

- Welch grape juice and grape jam.

- Post cereals (from Kraft-Mondelez Foods).

Well, this was what I've had to report here.
Tchau!

Cheers from this faithful friend who always writes 4 U,

Rodinei Campos da Silveira (from São Paulo, Brazil)
You're always welcome!

YABBA-DABBA-DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HANNA-BARBERA - SPACE GHOST - 45 YEARS

Image Fred and Wilma, two pidgeons in love, in a wonderful illustration made by Mark Christiansen (http://www.markscartoonart.com).

"Make your hubby happy,
Keep your hubby happy,
He's a happy pappy
With Rockenspiel!"

IN MEMORIAN OF WILLIAM HANNA & JOSEPH BARBERA

;)
Last edited by rodinei1964 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodinei1964

An Alka-Seltzer ad involving the Flintstones (drawn by Harvey Eisenberg)

Postby rodinei1964 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:13 pm

And talking about Alka-Seltzer (from Bayer Schering Pharma) sponsoring The Flintstones, here's an ad from Alka-Seltzer involving the Flintstones (drawn by Harvey Eisenberg [the "Carl Barks from Hanna-Barbera"]), which was carried in the American magazines in 1961:

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”