Tralfaz?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Jon Cooke

Tralfaz?

Postby Jon Cooke » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:42 am

Does anybody know the story behind the word "Tralfaz"? A quick Google search didn't turn up much info. McKimson snuck it into two Sylvester & Junior cartoons (the name of the real estate company in "Slap-Hoppy Mouse" and the name of the fish caught by Treg Brown the fisherman in "Fish and Slips"). It was also revealed to be Astro's real name on an episode of The Jetsons. Does it originate from a comic strip like "Foo" does? Just curious...

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:08 am

Jon Cooke wrote:Does anybody know the story behind the word "Tralfaz"? A quick Google search didn't turn up much info. McKimson snuck it into two Sylvester & Junior cartoons (the name of the real estate company in "Slap-Hoppy Mouse" and the name of the fish caught by Treg Brown the fisherman in "Fish and Slips"). It was also revealed to be Astro's real name on an episode of The Jetsons. Does it originate from a comic strip like "Foo" does? Just curious...

It also shows up in a drawing on page 264 of Chuck Reducks in a page on Snafu, but in looking at it again, I don't know if it's an old drawing or he did it for the book.

F. Fox

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 pm

It's also the name of the scientist in Super Rabbit.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

Bugsmer

Postby Bugsmer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:55 pm

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:It's also the name of the scientist in Super Rabbit.

That's "Canafraz".
:sylvester Thufferin' thuckatash!

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:It also shows up in a drawing on page 264 of Chuck Reducks in a page on Snafu, but in looking at it again, I don't know if it's an old drawing or he did it for the book.

That sketch was from the Private Snafu short "Going Home" and Tralfaz was said to be one of the parts of the secret weapon Snafu blabs about to everone in town.

jonmayo15

Postby jonmayo15 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Bugsmer wrote:That's "Canafraz".
No to go OT but have you ever noticed that when they say his name in the short, the audio becomes very low and hard to hear, as though they don't want you to hear it.;)
"It's the DESERT MADNESS!"

Bugsmer

Postby Bugsmer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37 pm

jonmayo15 wrote:No to go OT but have you ever noticed that when they say his name in the short, the audio becomes very low and hard to hear, as though they don't want you to hear it.;)

I've noticed. It must have been an inside joke at the time.
:sylvester Thufferin' thuckatash!

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Bugsmer wrote:I've noticed. It must have been an inside joke at the time.

I always thought that was just supposed to be Mel Blanc as the narrator lowering his voice a pitch to a "sotto" tone when announcing the Professor's name for a sort of "dramatic effect" type of thing..... i.e., "Prof. Cannafrazz" (.....as if tacitly stating, "Can't you just sense the impending excitement?").

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Bugsmer wrote:That's "Canafraz".

[SIZE="4"]DAMN IT!![/SIZE] That's twice this week I've been wrong about a subject on these threads! :shame: Time to retire.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

rodinei1964

"Tralfaz" sounds very British to me

Postby rodinei1964 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 am

The name Tralfaz (which Astro hated so much) sounds very British to me.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”