Contents (minus 15 shorts) of LTGC 6 Announced!!!

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

LooneyLover81

Contents (minus 15 shorts) of LTGC 6 Announced!!!

Postby LooneyLover81 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:05 am

Read these details:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Volume-6/10016

What shocks me the most is that WHV says this 6th installment may be the last LTGC volume planned... at least for now. When will the last four LTGC volumes be planned after this???

But, some good news in regards to this set: BOSKO!!!

Yes, a judicious amount of Bosko (as well as some Buddy) titles are on the 3rd disc (titled appropriately enough, "Bosko, Buddy & Merrie Melodies"), alongside other Harman & Ising-produced B&Ws, such as the Merrie Melodies shorts "Congo Jazz," "Smile, Darn Ya, Smile!" and "The Booze Hangs High". Bosko's wartime short, "Bosko the Doughboy" appears on the "Patriotic Pals" disc, #2.

All three of the Sloan Foundation-financed shorts are on the 2nd disc ("By Word of Mouse," "Heir Conditioning" and "Yankee Dood It"), which close it out.

~Ben

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:54 am

Wow, that looks like a great collection. Let's hope that it's not the end. Perhaps they're changing the focus and doing the rest in some other DVD package?

In any case, best wait till we hear more officially. Still, interesting collection if accurate.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:08 am

LooneyLover81 wrote:Read these details:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Volume-6/10016

What shocks me the most is that WHV says this 6th installment may be the last LTGC volume planned... at least for now. When will the last four LTGC volumes be planned after this???

~Ben

We were discussing this from months.
Things and plans, sadly, change.
But Looney Tunes will keep coming out, don't know in which way though.

I knew of the b/w disc and hoped for something like last year's set (with Porky, Daffy, one-shot characters-maybe "Gopher Goofy"- and one of the Merrie Melodies).
Bit diappointed, I would have loved more of :ham: and :daffy: .

I wonder if the bonus shorts will be restored by the way.

Thad said of a wartime disc. However, either his source spoke of a possibility and he was so excited that took it as a fact or either the plans changed (speaking of "patriotic pals" this allows the inclusion of the last Sylvester's shorts featured in the disc).
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:09 am

We’ve saved the best for last... more of your favorite Looney Tunes...your wish is our command. The concluding release from the Golden Collection Series is a 4-disc set with 60 more of the most looneytic Looney Tunes ever unleashed.

Nooooooooo!

There are still so many shorts left. I guess we can still hope they'll move on to a different format and continue to release shorts in two-disc sets and perhaps special character sets and so on. But, if they do, I fear that these'll be released by the familiy division, and that the contents will overlap heavily with what's been released on the golden collections :(

Plus, 15 bonus shorts to make this the biggest collection of Looney Tunes ever! Indeed, some have never before been on home video!

Well, let's hope these bonus shorts are "from the vault". I still haven't completely given up on Tin Pan or Coal Black, but I doubt we'll get all the censored cartoons among these bonus shorts.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 am

I'm a bit worried myself-Last collection? Say it's not so!

On the otherhand-it certainly will be interesting to view all those Black and White oldies. I haven't seen most of those Buddy and Bosko cartoons since I was a kid.

I'm also not fond That "Fresh Airdale" is included. That was in my opinion one of the darkest and meanest cartoons I had ever seen. Oh-well,there's plenty of good stuff here to make up for it.
The artwork for the DVD actually looks pretty good-complete with Bosko on the cover.
Can't wait to discover what the 15 extra toons are!
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:17 am

It's so sad that this is most likely the last Golden Collection. But it's good that we will finally get some Buddy cartoons, and this set has quiote a few cartoons that I've wanted included, or wanted to see, including The Hole Idea, Martian Through Georgia, You Don't Know What You're Doing, Norman Normal, and more.

We don't know what the bonus cartoons are, but maybe some will be post-1964 cartoons. This set onyl has one post-1964 cartoon, Norman Normal. But there were other one-shot cartoons made during that period. All in all this collection would have only had post-1964 cartoons on two sets.

Interestingly, I thought that the cover should be war-themed, and it is. I'm also surprised to see Bosko on the cover. And it looks like a Bosko cartoon will also be included in disc 2, in addition to disc 3.

I hope the remaining cartoons will be announced soon.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:24 am

Great to see "Ham in a Role", "Dog Gone South" and "Fresh Airedale" by the way.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:25 am

I was just looking over the list, and it looks like this set will only include two Bugs Bunny cartoons, Hare Trigger and Herr Meets Hare. And I just noticed that Now Hear This is on the set. Oh joy!

A while ago, I wondered if there would actually be 76 cartoons as part of the main program or if the extras would just be bonus cartoons, and it looks like that is the case here (okay, so it's 15 bonus cartoons, not 16).

It looks like this set will end the collectiosn with a bang (though there doens't appear to be any Speedy Gonzales cartoons, and still no Beep Prepared, Rudy Larriva Road Runners, Cool Cat, or Sniffles... Oh, wait, we still don't know what the bonus cartoons are...).

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:39 am

Here are the number of cartoons per director in this set:

17 Chuck Jones
11 Friz Freleng + 2 uncredited
9 Robert McKimson
6 Rudolf Ising
4 Bob Clampett
4 Hugh Harman
2 Harman/Ising
2 Jack King
1 Tom Palmer
1 Norman McCabe
1 Tex Avery (uncredited)
1 Earl Duvall
1 Alex Lovy

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:50 am

speedy fast wrote:I was just looking over the list, and it looks like this set will only include two Bugs Bunny cartoons, Hare Trigger and Herr Meets Hare.

Yes, there are actually very few appearances by the famous characters. Sylvester and Bosko get 6 cartoons each, and Porky and Daffy have five appearances. Elmer, Buddy and Honey appear in three cartoons each.

Wow! There are more Buddy-cartoons that Bugs Bunny-cartoons in this set :)

I'm still bummed out by this being the final set, but it looks like a great one, though.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”