Original Toddle Tales Titles....

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Steve Stanch

Original Toddle Tales Titles....

Postby Steve Stanch » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Here are a few titles from the new DVD I'm working on... a few original titles from the VB 'Toddle Tales' cartoons, a still from our transfer of 'Pastry Town Wedding' and a still from a quick and dirty transfer of 'Parrotville Fire Department'... The Rainbow Parades DVD is coming right along.. thought you diehards might enoy seeing these rare title cards....

Tom Stathes

Postby Tom Stathes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Good work, Steve. Despite my unusual liking for all things reissued or bootlegged, I always preferred the original Toddle Tales title cards over the Official Films ones. Good to see they are going to get a proper DVD release.
[color="Red"]Please support the [/color]Bray Animation Project!

[color=red]Help Save Animation History- Buy an Early Animation DVD at http://cartoonsonfilm.com[/color]

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 am

Steve,

Could you tell me if these prints are taken from 35mm or 16mm?Either way, the prints look great.Great job Steve!
"I'm Salty McGuire The Gob, You'll Always Find Me On The Job" (Terrytoons) "Salt Water Taffy" (1930)

J. A. Boschen

Postby J. A. Boschen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Sorry for the late response, I have been very busy lately, and have not had much time to browse the forums lately. :(

Those titles are pretty cool looking! The lettering is similar (the way it has that arch in the text) to the Three-color rainbow parade openings. Makes me wonder if some of the original two-color Rainbow Parade titles were similar to this style/background.

mayerson

Postby mayerson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:49 pm

I am amazed that Burt Gillett was thought important enough to get his
name above the series title. I'm sure that nobody in the audience had
a clue who he was or what he had done.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi Steve,

I tried to PM you with this, but your message box is too full.

I was browsing on Amazon a little while ago when I came across a used copy of your Attack of the 30's Characters selling for nearly $700.00(!)

Isn't that title still available from Thunderbean Animation? I know that your distribution arrangement with Mackinac Media fell through some time ago, but didn't you also say that titles formerly available through them would now be sold directly through Thunderbean?

If it is now OOP, I'm sure glad I bought my copy at Virgin Megastore when I did!

Nice pics from Toddle Tales, BTW, can't wait for the Rainbow Parade and Uncensored Van Beuren sets!

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:10 pm

mayerson wrote:I am amazed that Burt Gillett was thought important enough to get his
name above the series title. I'm sure that nobody in the audience had
a clue who he was or what he had done.

Maybe audiences didn't have a clue, but people in the animation industry apparently knew who he was. In Joe Adamson's The Walter Lantz Story, one of the animators recalled the time that Burt Gillett first walked into the Lantz studio (this would have been around 1937-38). Everyone was whispering that this was the guy who had directed The Three Little Pigs at Disney just a few years previously.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:19 am

mayerson wrote:I am amazed that Burt Gillett was thought important enough to get his name above the series title.

I presume Gillett himself was responsible for it.

F. Fox

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 am

The publicity surrounding the new Van Beuren cartoons (especially the press releases) made sure to mention that Gillett was the director of Three Little Pigs, the most popular cartoon made up until that time....

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:46 am

zavkram wrote:Hi Steve,

I was browsing on Amazon a little while ago when I came across a used copy of your Attack of the 30's Characters selling for nearly $700.00(!)

Isn't that title still available from Thunderbean Animation? I know that your distribution arrangement with Mackinac Media fell through some time ago, but didn't you also say that titles formerly available through them would now be sold directly through Thunderbean?

I don't have any more copies of this title myself- looks like they figured that out!

They'll be more copies sometime soon from Mackinac Media...

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”