Sunshine Makers stills 35mm

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Steve Stanch

Sunshine Makers stills 35mm

Postby Steve Stanch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 pm

"... and now the world is bright and fair, because there's sunshine everywhere!"

Working hard on the Rainbow Parade DVD right now...

(stills here from Sunshine Makers -35mm print, restored by Lobster films-beautiful- thanks Serge!). Working on transferring it from the master (with limited capture success so far!). It's a revelation- just beautiful... and much more detailed than you could ever see in the 16mm versions that have been the only way to see the film...

I may not be able to get Japanese Lanterns in color-costs are looking prohibitive for this little DVD company- Although I'd love to see the original titles! The cost on this Rainbow Parade DVD is climbing in transfer, licensing and time- Japanese Lanterns may be the one on the set in b/w.... sigh!

dandu

Postby dandu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh My that is BREATHTAKING for a 1930s Van Buren cartoon, I thought I would never see anything like this...

Larry T

Postby Larry T » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:37 am

My gosh Steve, for years I've only been able to see crappy, blurry prints of this cartoon... and must I say wow..... these are as vibrant and crisp as I've ever seen of this cartoon...!

"Steamboating ahead to good times!"

rex racer

Postby rex racer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 am

Wow, I'm flabbergasted at the color range these stills have. You can even see modeling shadings which were not apparent before.:) That is a real disappointment about Japanese Lanterns tho... Having seen this in b/w it's obvious the cartoon was laid out with color in mind. I am curious what UCLA wanted for accessing this public domain film, their basic restoration fee ??

dw

Dave Mackey

Postby Dave Mackey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:14 am

Was "Sunshine Makers" in 2- or 3-color process?

Were the Borden's plugs part of the original film?

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Sunshine Makers is in two color tech.- The range is quite nice even in the two color Van Beurens I've seen...still of course not quite the 3 strip look.. I'll post some more stills when the conversion is complete... it's great looking.

Japanese Lanterns will be somewhere around $1000, plus LOC costs.... between transfer and licensing, the Toddle Tales/ Rainbow parade DVD is up there in costs already. Maybe I'll get lucky.. I do like to break even on the DVDs if I can, and soem profift is even nicer- that allows you to keep doing them... though I'd LOVE to see Japanses laterns in color....

On the 35mm print, the Bordon's titles look like they're newer than the cartoon (I'd say early 40's or later). My guess is the film was licensed later. I'll be leaving the Bordon's titles just as they are for the video release, but will replace the Commenwealth titles on the others....

Jeffitarian

Postby Jeffitarian » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:46 pm

These stills look fantastic! What a treat it will be to see this gem of a cartoon in watchable, non-cruddy PD quality. It will be nice to see the other shorts as well. I've seen a lot of Van Beuren's output (thanks mainly to Thunderbean), but have never seen Japanese Lanterns, so I'm looking forward to this release.

Jack G.

Postby Jack G. » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Really looking forward to this!:)

J. A. Boschen

Postby J. A. Boschen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 pm

AWSOME! I am really looking forward to seeing this :)

Steve Stanch wrote: Japanese Lanterns will be somewhere around $1000, plus LOC costs.... between transfer and licensing,

Japanese Lanterns is not in the public Domain? :confused:

Tom Stathes

Postby Tom Stathes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 pm

All Van Beurens are public domain. Steve is most likely referring to licensing costs set forth by whatever person or institution owns the print he would be using.
[color="Red"]Please support the [/color]Bray Animation Project!

[color=red]Help Save Animation History- Buy an Early Animation DVD at http://cartoonsonfilm.com[/color]

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”