Sunshine Makers stills 35mm

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Steve, those have to be the cleanest, clearest images from The Sunshine Makers that I've seen yet. The print that was used for The Cartoons That Time Forgot: The Van Beuren Studio was very dark and fuzzy by comparison, as I recall.

I can't wait for this disc to come out, great job!

lonesome-lenny

Postby lonesome-lenny » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 am

Include me in on the "wow" list. This will be worth the price of the DVD--it will be a pleasure to see a crisp, clear print of this haunting, odd li'l cartoon!
"I usta have a lit-tel friend...but he don't MOVE no more!"

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm very pleased to have it.... I do wish I could find ALL the Rainbow Parades in similar condition and quality... still, this will be a great set. So far, I've transferred the majority of the harder to find titles, including 3 prints of A Picnic Panic, 2 prints of Spinning Mice, 2 prints of Rag Dog and others....waiting to get the print of Along came a duck with original titles...sent another batch of films out today. Looking forward to getting them back soon! When I get Sunshine back I'll post some more pictures...

It does seem that Burt Gillett did get star billing in the Toddle Tales as well as the Rainbow Parades....

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:21 pm

Ok folks.. what's the earliest Rainbow Parade you've seen with the original titles?

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 pm

I have the DVD from Blackhawk Films/Image Entertainment; so I suppose that whichever "Rainbow Parade" cartoon with original titles is the oldest on that DVD is also the oldest one I've ever seen.

Tom Stathes

Postby Tom Stathes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Probably only MMC and the Indians... my favorite Molly :D
[color="Red"]Please support the [/color]Bray Animation Project!

[color=red]Help Save Animation History- Buy an Early Animation DVD at http://cartoonsonfilm.com[/color]

shoshani

Postby shoshani » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:32 am

Steve Stanch wrote:Sunshine Makers is in two color tech.

You sure about that, Steve? All the title cards I've seen on admittedly grubby prints look like they say "Processed by Cinecolor" under the Ted Eschbaugh credit.

I say "look like" because I can only make out "-color" with four letters before it. That fits Cinecolor, but Technicolor would have six letters before "-color".

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 am

shoshani wrote:You sure about that, Steve? All the title cards I've seen on admittedly grubby prints look like they say "Processed by Cinecolor" under the Ted Eschbaugh credit.

I say "look like" because I can only make out "-color" with four letters before it. That fits Cinecolor, but Technicolor would have six letters before "-color".

Well, I guess one would have to try and guess which process was used from looking at the actual colors in the above restored pics; whereas 2-Strip Technicolor emphasized the red and green colors of the spectum, Cinecolor emphasized red and blue.

Slightly OT... Ub Iwerks reportedly was able, through his experimentation with film-stock and processing chemicals, to milk a few extra hues out of the CineColor process for his ComiColor Cartoons.

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:05 pm

RKO used the two color Technicolor process for the early Rainbow Parades. The Bordon print of Sunshine Makers DOES say Cinecolor. Lobster films has done an excellent job in the restoration of this little film, and I think their color balance is quite nice, somehow getting the most of the blues and greens.

J. A. Boschen

Postby J. A. Boschen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 pm

Steve Stanch wrote: It does seem that Burt Gillett did get star billing in the Toddle Tales as well as the Rainbow Parades....

Steve Stanch wrote: Ok folks.. what's the earliest Rainbow Parade you've seen with the original titles?

:D I am looking extremely forward to this set!!

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”