Manny Perez: When Was He Born, and When Did He Die?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Speedy Boris

Manny Perez: When Was He Born, and When Did He Die?

Postby Speedy Boris » Tue May 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Can anyone enlighten me as to when Manny Perez (WB animator) was born and died? For the life of me, I can't find the info anywhere online. Someone in the "Which Classic Animation People Are Still Alive?" thread a while back said Perez died in 1981, which would sort of make sense, given that his last works seem to be "Heidi's Song" and "Hey Good Lookin'!" (both released in 1982), but can anyone confirm this with a source?

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Tue May 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to when Manny Perez (WB animator) was born and died? For the life of me, I can't find the info anywhere online. Someone in the "Which Classic Animation People Are Still Alive?" thread a while back said Perez died in 1981, which would sort of make sense, given that his last works seem to be "Heidi's Song" and "Hey Good Lookin'!" (both released in 1982), but can anyone confirm this with a source?

I found a Manuel Perez at RootsWeb.com under California Death Records listing 06/17/1914 as the date of birth and 01/17/1981 as the date of death. This might not be the very SAME Manuel Perez but it IS a Manuel Perez who died in 1981 which, as you said, was mentioned and, then again, it could be him too.

Any confirmations here?

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Wed May 19, 2010 1:33 am

Speedy Boris wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to when Manny Perez (WB animator) was born and died? For the life of me, I can't find the info anywhere online.

Did you think of writing the Animation Guild? They'd keep track of their members, I'd think.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 19, 2010 7:37 am

The Animation Guild can barely keep track of where its members among the living are, so good fing luck.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed May 19, 2010 10:44 am

You might try sifting through the archives of the LA Times from 1981; just to see if you can pull up an obit for the Perez who died that year. If it is the same one, then his obit would most likely mention the fact that he worked in the animation industry.

As one of the few credited Hispanic-Americans working in the industry during the golden age, Perez must be listed in a book or annual about famous and slightly-famous Hispanic-Americans in U.S. History.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Matt the Y wrote:I found a Manuel Perez at RootsWeb.com under California Death Records listing 06/17/1914 as the date of birth and 01/17/1981 as the date of death. This might not be the very SAME Manuel Perez but it IS a Manuel Perez who died in 1981 which, as you said, was mentioned and, then again, it could be him too.

Any confirmations here?
Yeah, it doesn't help that Manny Perez is kind of a common name.

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Thu May 20, 2010 7:12 am

Speedy Boris wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to when Manny Perez (WB animator) was born and died? For the life of me, I can't find the info anywhere online. Someone in the "Which Classic Animation People Are Still Alive?" thread a while back said Perez died in 1981, which would sort of make sense, given that his last works seem to be "Heidi's Song" and "Hey Good Lookin'!" (both released in 1982), but can anyone confirm this with a source?

Matt the Y wrote: I found a Manuel Perez at RootsWeb.com under California Death Records listing 06/17/1914 as the date of birth and 01/17/1981 as the date of death. This might not be the very SAME Manuel Perez but it IS a Manuel Perez who died in 1981 which, as you said, was mentioned and, then again, it could be him too.

Any confirmations here?

Speedy Boris and Matt the Y et al~

I can't really confirm Manny Perez's death in 1981 either, despite my having gone back through SOME of my records looking. And as regards Bakshi's "Hey Good Lookin'", despite its 1982 release it twas made YEARS before... As MEMORY serves me it was made and shelved by Warners before his "Wizards" ever saw the light of day. Soooo "Hey Good Lookin'" is not only NOT Manny's last animation but actually quite old by the time it came out (and Manny left this world).

Did he die on Jan. 17, 1981?? Tough to be sure about, but as suggested, the L.A. Times MIGHT well be the final answer on that, I double checked my 1981 union magazines and there was NO mention of his passing at all (I'm missing the June & Sept. 1981 issues, but if he died in Jan. then no way would he have been written up THAT long after his passing). PLUS there were very few golden-age animators dying yet then so it SHOULD have been news (and so, YES they were mentioning deaths of their members)...

For comparison, when fellow-Hispanic Rudy Zamora died a few years later he received a LARGE obituary in the union magazine. In point of fact there was even a news item about his having taken sick and having had to go to a "home" to recuperate! (All this despite his having been largely out of theatrical-short animation for many years).

I'll try to look through more of my records when I have the time.:)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 am

I was thinking about my previous post... I don't know for certain, but I think an obit would have been run in the papers only if Perez's next-of-kin or the appointed executor of his estate had actually requested one. I can't imagine, though, why his family would not have requested one. I suppose the next best source would be an AP news article on his death, if someone from the fourth estate happened to get wind of the story.

Did Perez ever serve in the military during WWII? If so, would he have been assigned to the motion picture unit that was part of the Signal Corps? I wonder if any info could be obtained through the Freedom of Information Act on a former service member...

I know he was at Warner Bros. in 1942 because he is credited on "Fresh Hare".

As has been mentioned, however, the name "Manuel Perez" is pretty common among Hispanic-Americans; so trying to find out info on the year of his death would indeed be like trying to find the proverbial "needle-in-a-haystack"...
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Thu May 20, 2010 9:24 am

Sogturtle wrote:And as regards Bakshi's "Hey Good Lookin'", despite its 1982 release it twas made YEARS before... As MEMORY serves me it was made and shelved by Warners before his "Wizards" ever saw the light of day. Soooo "Hey Good Lookin'" is not only NOT Manny's last animation but actually quite old by the time it came out (and Manny left this world).
Didn't Bakshi and his team have to add a bunch of new animated footage to the movie before it was accepted, though (as it was previously a mix of live action and animation, and the studio didn't like that)? That's my understanding of the situation. Perhaps Perez did some of the later work on it.

Ray Pointer

Postby Ray Pointer » Fri May 21, 2010 7:15 am

Thad wrote:The Animation Guild can barely keep track of where its members among the living are, so good fing luck.

How do you know this to be so? Have YOU contacted TAG?
I'm breaking my rule of avoiding GAC by stating that this is another example of why I have been staying away.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”