Manny Perez: When Was He Born, and When Did He Die?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Sogturtle

MANNY a tear has to fall... ;o)

Postby Sogturtle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 am

Jack G. wrote:Nice to see you poke yer head out of yer shell, Mr. Turtle!

Thank you Mr. Jack G. (Masked Stinker) and also my other friends here who have noticed my cranium protruding out of my shell of late.;)

Okay now back to Manny (Manuel) Perez...

I've done quite a bit more checking, found a couple of TINY items and had to come to a conclusion or two...

First off, there were indeed four Manuel Perez's who show death in California in 1981, but two are ruled out immediately due to being markedly the wrong age. Of the two remaining, they were almost exactly the same age, BUT one of them died in Riverside/Corona which is a LONG drive from Los Angeles (between 44 and 52 miles), so I think we can rule him out as well. Soooo that takes us back to the original point that if ANY of the California Manuel Perezs are "ours" then it would have to be the one who was born in June 1914 and died in Jan. 1981.

Okay, having said that I DID locate an L.A. Times obituary for Manuel Perez. Now the bad news...:eek: Whoever wrote it for him only saw fit to list his name and the name of the funeral home! So in this case it simply reads "Manuel Perez, Meyer-Mitchell, Van Nuys" (L.A. Times Jan. 19, 1981). That's it, nothing more, no birth or death dates or list of survivors (let alone what his occupation had been). :rolleyes: BUT the fact of him living and dying in Van Nuys points to him being our guy because Van Nuys is only TWO miles from Sherman Oaks, CA. And what was in Sherman Oaks you ask?;) Simple, a joint called "DePatie-Freleng Enterprises", where one Manny Perez animated from the mid-Sixties onwards:D

NOT having found an obituary with a list of survivors then drove me to check marriage records (OY!!):rolleyes:. I finally located one (and only one) Manuel Perez of ALMOST exactly the right age who got a marriage license and that was in 1941... "Our" Manny would've been 26 at the time it was issued, and this one's age is given as "25". Was that a typo or a mis-reading?? Can't answer that... So it may not be our guy after all. BUT there were no other Manuel Perez's of the appropriate age with licenses published in the L.A. Times in the mid-Thirties to late Forties.

For the record I should add that there are STILL some U.S. government documents that will have Manuel's birthdate and family information. BUT they can NOT be released YET due to privacy laws...

Alright, the other little (and I do mean little:p) discovery was a brief note pointing out that when one of OUR Manuel Perez's colleagues quit the studio that Manny made a point of coming and singing them "Spanish Farewell" (is there actually a song by that title or was it really "Vaya Con Dios" ??) And it was pointed out what a lovely singing voice he had!! In point of fact, someone even recorded it! BUT anyway, from the "title" of the song it would seem that it was all in Espanol and that would lead to a reasonably sound conclusion that Manny was fluent in Spanish (and of course English) besides having a "lovely" singing voice.

I DID a LOT more checking back through my various resources and noticed a VERY strange trend... It appears that virtually every single Warner director, animator, assistant, storyman, inbetweener, inker, painter, technician and secretary had a birthday notice with ONE notable exception... Want to guess who it was?? Thaaaaat's right, Manuel Perez!:rolleyes:
I'd say, well maybe that's just some kind of weird oversight, except for one thing, not once can I find a reference by name to his wife or kids!!:eek: The combination of the two (no mention of his birthday OR of names of his wife or kids or birth of kids) leads to the reasonably sound conclusion that he was just plain very "shut-mouth" (secretive) about his private life. :rolleyes: I can't even speculate on the reason...

Sooooo at present I SEEM to have exhausted all the resources of mine that I can readily locate on hand. [Who knows, tomorrow I may lay my turtle-paw on a write-up where Manuel's wedding anniversary is mentioned along with the names of his whole family].;)

cpdavison

Postby cpdavison » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:46 am

Soggy:

You have certainly put in a lot of Manuel labor, here!

Sorry. :o

Craig D.
[color=red][color=darkgreen]
[/color]

Craig's Eggs
Who Really Cares, Anyway?
[/color]

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:38 pm

cpdavison wrote:Soggy:

You have certainly put in a lot of Manuel labor, here!

Sorry. :o

Craig D.

Craiggy;)~

Trust me , my last post was the result of a LOT more work than just reading the Manuel...:p

cpdavison

Postby cpdavison » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:56 am

Sogturtle wrote:Craiggy;)~

Trust me , my last post was the result of a LOT more work than just reading the Manuel...:p

What can I say, but that you researched that man well!

(Where's that animated gif of the dead horse beating?)

Craig D.
[color=red][color=darkgreen]
[/color]

Craig's Eggs
Who Really Cares, Anyway?
[/color]

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 am

The man may well be spinning in his grave after hearing all these bad puns! :D
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:00 pm

zavkram wrote:The man may well be spinning in his grave after hearing all these bad puns!

I'd think that would be a relief to him compared to working for Friz.

F. Fox

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:49 am

zavkram wrote:The man may well be spinning in his grave after hearing all these bad puns! :D

Sooooo are you saying that one of us should be elected Perez-ident of puns about poor Manny?!?!:p:bugs2:

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:11 am

Wait, so Perez was not happy working for Freleng? I wasn't aware of that...
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 am

zavkram wrote:Wait, so Perez was not happy working for Freleng? I wasn't aware of that...

Greg Duffell talked about this at alt.animation.warner-bros a number of years ago.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.animation.warner-bros/msg/7542b5c50be40c22

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:56 am

zavkram wrote:Wait, so Perez was not happy working for Freleng? I wasn't aware of that...

Zavkam~

According to animator Greg Duffell, Manuel Perez told him (ca 1978) that he eventually got to hating
Freleng.

I don't doubt Duffell's memory, but the conversation raises serious questions.... Perez was a FULL animator for Freleng for a minimum of 14 years (1939-1953, Friz's return and then up to the Warner temporary closure). And then he returned to Friz's employ at DePatie-Freleng from (at least) 1965 to 1971.
I find it nearly incomprehensible that anybody could actually work for someone for 14 years if they had come to "hate" them... Then return for another 6 years to the guy's own studio...:confused:

It has to be understood that throughout the Forties that Manuel Perez COULD have found work at any number of the Hollywood studios, so he was NOT on a ball and chain at Warners to Friz...

Or maybe the "hating" didn't begin till near the end of his Warner employment in '53?? OR perhaps even when Perez was at DePatie-Freleng? [It is a fact that in the '70's that Manny went to working first for Bakshi and then repeatedly for Chuck Jones].

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”