Manny Perez: When Was He Born, and When Did He Die?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Sogturtle

Down to the last Manny... ;o)

Postby Sogturtle » Fri May 21, 2010 8:18 am

There IS another little side to this which I failed to mention before, and it goes kind of like this...;) Several years ago Manny Perez's grandson was living here (Arizona). He looked up and went to one of the biggest local vintage-comic dealers and sold the owner a fairly LARGE collection of his grandfather's animation drawings (amongst them Fritz the Cat etc.).

This of course seems not to have much bearing on Manny's birth and death dates, but for one interesting little detail... The Manuel Perez who showed birth on June 17, 1914 and death on Jan. 18, 1981 was born in ARIZONA. Coincidence? Maybe. But maybe Perez maintained his ties to Arizona, hence his grandson moved here?? (Why would grandson be dragging grand-dad's animation drawings all over the West???) PERHAPS Manny was here visiting at the time of his death (or was moving here) and THAT might explain why the union paper NEVER got the word about his death. Like I said before the union paper was pretty darned good about publishing SOME sort of obituary (even if infinitismal) pretty promptly after a member's death... If he really died IN Los Angeles then it should've shown up in it. Soooo it seems like either this is the wrong Manuel Perez OR he died elsewhere (OR that strangely, an ACTIVE still-working union animator somehow got overlooked, not likely).

Additionally there was ANOTHER 1914 born Manuel Perez who died in California in Feb. 1981, PLUS one hatched in late 1917 who expired also in Jan. 1981, but again NO obituary in the union paper...

Oh! And I double-checked and he wasn't in the armed forces during WWII, he stayed at Schlesinger/Warners the whole time.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 21, 2010 10:44 am

Ray Pointer wrote:How do you know this to be so? Have YOU contacted TAG?
I'm breaking my rule of avoiding GAC by stating that this is another example of why I have been staying away.

Yes, Ray, I have contacted TAG, and they were absolutely unhelpful in my search of a few people. On one member they only had contact info that was three years out of date. What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you so eager to jump to the conclusion that I don't "know this to be so"? Stop pestering me on IM if you consider me so off-base.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 pm

We know one thing for sure: He lived past 1975.

MadAboutMGM

Postby MadAboutMGM » Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 pm

The animation industry is so vast that not everyone that has ever worked in it can be represented appropriately. There has to be at least a few obscure animators that are not even known by professional sources either because their contributions were not recorded or that they performed menial tasks for most of their careers. I keep pulling up names of animators that have little to no information about them. There names are just listed for the companies they worked for with really no biographical information. Namely whether they are still alive.

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Sun May 23, 2010 5:47 pm

MadAboutMGM wrote:The animation industry is so vast that not everyone that has ever worked in it can be represented appropriately. There has to be at least a few obscure animators that are not even known by professional sources either because their contributions were not recorded or that they performed menial tasks for most of their careers. I keep pulling up names of animators that have little to no information about them. There names are just listed for the companies they worked for with really no biographical information. Namely whether they are still alive.

MadAboutMGM~

Yes that's true, and it's especially true in cities other than L.A. or New York. But it's similarly true for people like Helen Lampon... WHO you say?? Well, she was just the sort of person you described, but with a mammoth career going all the way back to 1919 as a "blackener", and on through her years as an assistant animator. And clear up till she left Hollywood, yet ALL without a single screen credit at any of the major studios where she worked. [At the end she was painting 'travelling mattes' for feature films including DeMille's "Ten Commandments"].

Whereas for someone like Manny Perez where we know the MAJORITY of the vast array of cartoons he worked on as a full animator but yet to still not know the basic outlines of his life is pretty maddening... [I still have other materials to try to search through to at least positively determine his crucial dates].

Sogturtle

A Manuel for success... ;o)

Postby Sogturtle » Tue May 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Sogturtle wrote:MadAboutMGM~

Yes that's true, and it's especially true in cities other than L.A. or New York. But it's similarly true for people like Helen Lampon... WHO you say?? Well, she was just the sort of person you described, but with a mammoth career going all the way back to 1919 as a "blackener", and on through her years as an assistant animator. And clear up till she left Hollywood, yet ALL without a single screen credit at any of the major studios where she worked. [At the end she was painting 'travelling mattes' for feature films including DeMille's "Ten Commandments"].

Whereas for someone like Manny Perez where we know the MAJORITY of the vast array of cartoons he worked on as a full animator but yet to still not know the basic outlines of his life is pretty maddening... [I still have other materials to try to search through to at least positively determine his crucial dates].

Welllll to add to the whole "maddening quotient" ;) about Manuel Perez's biographical details, twas just going through more research materials... Still can't confirm birth or death dates:confused:, BUT from THIS latest bit of research can now tell you that Manny used to play several sports with his fellow Warnerites:bugs2: . Amongst the sports was HANDBALL (now there's a good workout)! In fact, the quote made at the time by fellow-sportsman Warren Foster, was that Perez and the others "hope to work into mediocre shape very shortly":p). For whatever strange reason Perez and some of the same crew also played volleyball!

Around that same time that he was playing sports it seems he moved his young family into a new home. And when he wasn't animating or involved in various team sports or being a husband and dad, he made time to be a greenhouse gardener.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Tim, thanks for going through the trouble of finding all those biographical details. I for one appreciate it. Weird how in spite of knowing that much about Manny Perez, we can't find a date of birth or death!

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Tue May 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Thad wrote:Tim, thanks for going through the trouble of finding all those biographical details. I for one appreciate it. Weird how in spite of knowing that much about Manny Perez, we can't find a date of birth or death!

Thad~

Tis my pleasure, am glad you at least enjoyed what I have found... I've always tried to be helpful, though am sure not perfect! Will attempt to search some more a little later this week, would strongly like to believe his birthday/death is mentioned SOMEWHERE amidst all my research materials...

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

At least we know he had children; does anyone know their names and/or if they're still living?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Jack G.

Postby Jack G. » Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 pm

Sogturtle wrote:Thad~

Tis my pleasure, am glad you at least enjoyed what I have found... I've always tried to be helpful, though am sure not perfect! Will attempt to search some more a little later this week, would strongly like to believe his birthday/death is mentioned SOMEWHERE amidst all my research materials...
Nice to see you poke yer head out of yer shell, Mr. Turtle!

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”