Why do studios keep messing up DVD releases.

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Dirty Skunk wrote:I'm a region 2 customer and I bought LTGC 3 and disc 2, the Hollywood Parodies was in my set.

I also bought LTG4, missing from disc 1 is Southern Fried Rabbit and missing from disc 4 is The Sour Puss.

Well, the discs in UK are different from other European countries. In mid and eastern Europe the discs from all LTGCs were released as separate discs, not as whole collections...

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:32 pm

The region 2 version of the Woody Woodpecker and Friends vol.1 is missing the black-and-white cartoons, the Cartune Classics and the Swing Symphonies. A skeleton release. I feel like I got conned.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:But you yourself said you don't care if the cartoons are messed up as long as they're released. Hence, they should count.

I'm sorry, Ian. I should have been more specific. I should have clarified that I meant I could overlook relatively minor mess-ups such as DVNR and interlacing. Losing entire chunks of the picture exceeds my threshold by a significant amount.

Speedy Boris wrote:They're not. :rolleyes:

I know that. I was hyperbolically saying that 2009 was such an awful, rotten year, in so many ways, that the theoretical end of civilization would be an improvement.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Snafuperman!

Postby Snafuperman! » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:19 am

...I get that this stuff costs money to restore, but restoring it is an investment in their brand that will pay off down the road...and does it really cost more to restore something already created than to create something new?

...also, if so much animation is done overseas because it's cheaper, why can't the restoration be outsourced as well? I'm all for buying American Made, but if it's going to take forever...as a friend of mine is fond of saying, 'how about releasing it while I'm still alive?'

...I've said it before: I know that I, and a couple friends of mine, would pay $1 each for every LT&MM restored the way they should be...that's around $1000 bucks, right?...couldn't WHV do a pre-sale to raise funds to restore these - I mean, since they're such a small corporation and can't afford it ;)

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:23 am

Snafuperman! wrote:...also, if so much animation is done overseas because it's cheaper, why can't the restoration be outsourced as well?

As Thad Komorowski would say.... "No."
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Cdawg

Postby Cdawg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 pm

I believe that major studios like Warner Brothers are just too big and too focused on the profit margin to care about the product (uncut cartoons) in the same way serious collectors do. I think that WB resents our outcries over the edits and ommisions up to this point. The inclusion of "A Broken Leghorn" on the recent Foghorn Leghorn DVD was IMHO Warner Brothers way of giving seroius cartoon collectors the one finger salute. I think that we should look elsewhere for the titles WB does not want to release - especially the titles they have allowed to lapse into the public domain !
and I'm affectionate, too!

The Silver Fox

Postby The Silver Fox » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 am

I think alot of the studio don't fell there money to be made on older products.

good example is how Disney Has either left us hanging when it comes to there animated shows from the 70s to the 90's all missing seasons or not released in the USA.

Universal, WB, MGM, Depatie, Paramont all have cartoons not released due to offending factor (as they call un pc (&$#*@), or if the shows animation was outsourced and then copyrights to the shows get hung up ( which may be the reason Tale Spins last season is still Unrealsed cause the animation was done by the late Sunwoo Studios that went under in the mid 90s, or Fulmations studio's products that are still in battles of the Copyrights cause the studio went totaly under).
Even Movies older movies some have have the features or behind the scenes missing from there DVDs.

Come on Guys, give the public what they want.

mulroz

Postby mulroz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:54 am

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:The region 2 version of the Woody Woodpecker and Friends vol.1 is missing the black-and-white cartoons, the Cartune Classics and the Swing Symphonies. A skeleton release. I feel like I got conned.

Chronological Donald Vol. 2 is censored in R2. The Fuehrers Face, Commando Duck and Donald's Crime are missing. Especially the last one I cannot understand.

mulroz

Postby mulroz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:58 am

My advise, do as I did with my new dvd player: make it region free asap!!!!

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”