Disney Animated Films: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Snow White

Poll ended at Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Excellent
72%
Average
25%
Mediocre
3%
Where can I get a poisonous apple?
No votes

Total votes: 36

Brandon Panther

Disney Animated Films: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Something I thought of doing every Friday was create a poll focusing on the Disney animated films. Even though they're from the golden era of animation, they're not discussed much. So I thought of making an open poll once a week, and discuss each one in chronological order.

I re-watched Snow White recently, and the film is quite good, but they are obviously in early stages of great animation and designs, mostly with the animals. Even Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston talked about how the deer looked really bad, as opposed to how well they looked in Bambi (hilariously, animators at Warner Bros. were putting out cartoons such as "The Isle of Pingo Pongo" which have better drawings of certain animals).

The Queen's transformation is creepy as all Hell.

Snow White running through the forest to escape the queen... meh never scared me as a kid. I dunno, a lot of it looks pretty laughable to me. The whole thing with the trees having eyes makes me think too much of The Wizard of Oz. The logs "becoming" alligators is eerie though.

Overall, good movie.

Fun Fact: Adolf Hitler liked this film! :p
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Good idea. If there's any thread that already discussed the movie though, I'll see if we discussed it already and post a link to it...if I can.

Anyways, wonderful film. Probably tied with "Dumbo" and a few others that definitely deserves its' title as one of the greatest animated films ever made.

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Unfortunately, I voted "mediocre". I really don't want to dislike this movie and I don't, but something about it just doesn't work for me.

The film's animation is, for the most part, consistently good, very fluid and I like that. But movie just moves at a bit of a slow pace, a tad too slow for me. It really doesn't seem like a lot happens and scenes go on too long.

It's because of my lesser fondness for this film that I still have yet to pick up the Blu-ray of it. I will eventually because I'm a completest :p but it's far from my favorite Disney film.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Zayats

Postby Zayats » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:06 pm

It is a landmark in animated history and it was very well done. Sadly in my opinion it hasn't really aged well and is quite dated.

I find Pinocchio has aged far better.

sumnernor

Postby sumnernor » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:
The Queen's transformation is creepy as all Hell.

I saw Snowwhite asa kid and was scared to death with the Queen's transformation,:eek:

DamianoD

Postby DamianoD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm

I like this idea, it encourages a lot of discussion. Kudos.

I won't go into my whole Disney diatribe here because I'll be eventually be going into it in subsequent reviews and thus, doesn't apply here. So Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Despite the misspelling in the film's title) is one of the few films Disney films to be at least a good showing of the kind of staff Disney held. The animation, while obviously being very good, must have been a pain to draw. I am of course referring to the seemingly life-like Snow White, the Prince and the Queen (pre-witch state). Drawing such pain-stakingly images came at a cost though and unfortunately that was was the animation itself. The Prince (I'll excuse him because he's in the entire film for under a minute) & Snow White appear to have but a few expressions in the entire feature. The Queen (again, pre-witch state) was drawn a lot better. I can't place my finger on it. However I will state that I think it is because of the modelling of her face and the atmosphere that she brought.

Besides that, the animation of the drawves was great -- especially Grumpy (but that's a given considering the great Tytla was responsible for that). As far as story goes, given that it really wasn't made for my audience it mind, was pretty standard and don't see a whole lot of flaws with it that are worth mentioning. I also believe that it was directed in such a way that made it visual stimulating even if you have seen other Disney films.

I rated this film average based on the options given. I will make a note though, I think the rating system should go more along the lines of Excellent, Good, Average and Bad as opposed to having mediocre and average which to me, is more or less the same thing.

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:14 pm

It's been quite a while since I last saw it, but I would deem it excellent. Not because it set a precedent for full-length animated films but because it is a triumph of animation and storytelling. The dwarves are especially memorable. It's deservedly in the top ten of Disney films, it'd probably just make my top five.

MadAboutMGM

Postby MadAboutMGM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm

I picked average it was a learning curve for Disney who at this point still had some experience to gain in the feature field. Regardless it's still a classic but I seldom find much entertainment value with the exception of the comedic presence of the Dwarfs.

Wolfie

Postby Wolfie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Gut reaction, I chose average. Now here I sit to figure out why.

My choice probably has to do less with the animation and story, and more with the fact that I just don't like the sappy music and cutesy pootsie-ness of the characters.

I like the ugly witch, though, and I can't deny the historical impact this movie still carries.

So yeah, average. I'll stick with that.

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Excellent. Not my favourite Disney film (that would have to be Dumbo or Pinocchio for me), but it's definitely right up there.

As a whole, the film works perfectly. Like the other early Disney films, not a moment is wasted on screen.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”